• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borecast 36: Registration of Podcast Information Could Not Be Completed (80022D11)

Direct download: http://media.libsyn.com/media/borecast/Borecast36.mp3

Borecast 36: Registration of Podcast Information Could Not Be Completed (80022D11)

SEGMENT ONE

Movies

(5:10) Dead Snow

(8:40) Black Dynamite

Games

(17:30) STARCRAFT 2 Beta Impressions

(43:50) Dante's Inferno

(52:30) Heavy Rain (mild spoilers)

(1:05:00) Shellshock 2: Blood Trails

(1:08:35) Volvo: The Game

(1:10:40) IRON ROSES (!)

(MUSICAL INTERLUDE BY LISTENER KESTASTROPHE)

SEGMENT TWO

(1:17:20) Listener Comments

(1:32:55) Contest Winners announced, sickening entries read in sexy voices

INDEFENSIBLE

(1:39:20) Doug's cruising for seamen

Talk to you again next week!

Great episode, gents. Very enjoyable. Nice to hear Frag's views on Starcraft II.

I do sympathise with Doug in regards to Starcraft...I'd like to get into the multiplayer throwdown, but I don't think it'd last for me. I'd get worn out! Looking forward to RUSE as my multiplayer game, simply for the lack of micro and the ruse concepts.

I digress. Excellent episode, once more.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Hominy is corn prepared so you don't get malnourished eating it as a staple grain. Grits is basically the corn version of Cream of Wheat.

THE MORE YOU KNOW

If anyone has any questions relating to all things Starcraft, feel free to give feedback here and I'll try to answer them. :)

Doug definitely needs to try a good pozole. Crappy weather all year long where he lives, so there's surely a day when a good soup like that would hit the spot.

Pylon: I got Mytran Wars from Goozex on your recommendation this week. I'll try to get in a quick hit on it next week if I can pull myself away from beta laddering.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Fragamemnon said:
Crappy weather all year long where he lives
This is simply not true. It may rain/drizzle a majority of the days of the year and be overcast in the morning more often than not, but quite a few days have sunny afternoons! Breezes are also common which is really nice.

Hitokage said:
This is simply not true. It may rain/drizzle a majority of the days of the year and be overcast in the morning more often than not, but quite a few days have sunny afternoons! Breezes are also common which is really nice.

I only visit there in the winter when I do get up there. :lol Always overcast and dreary, though to be fair I've lived in the Sun Belt all my life.

I do envy their ducks. Such amazing ducks they have there.

Fragamemnon said:
Pylon: I got Mytran Wars from Goozex on your recommendation this week. I'll try to get in a quick hit on it next week if I can pull myself away from beta laddering.

Ah, terrific! It's just a lovely old school TBS. You might find it interesting simply due to it coming out of Deep Silver/Storm Region...it's by no means revolutionary, but the PC strategy heritage and its possible bleed-down effects might be worth your time if you've got it to burn.

Don't take too much time off the SCII beta, though! :D

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Fragamemnon said:
I only visit there in the winter when I do get up there. :lol Always overcast and dreary, though to be fair I've lived in the Sun Belt all my life.
You know when on rare occasion it gets slightly windy, partly cloudy, relatively low humidity, and mid 70s? It reminds me of Seattle's brand of good weather. Not to mention their heat waves are 5-10 degrees cooler than in NC, with lower humidity.

But, yeah, overcast and misty air also makes me think of that area, but I don't really mind it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I've never been a fan of Blizzard style RTS games, but ages ago when I played Kohan with the old crew, figuring out build orders and company matchups never was a matter of telling myself I needed to do it otherwise I couldn't play. Rather, it was because I took so much enjoyment from playing that I naturally wanted to know how to add the satisfaction of crushing my enemies underfoot to that enjoyment. Tinkering with the game system enhanced my appreciation of how the game was set up, because while certain combinations of units could normally stomp other combinations of units, there was ALWAYS other considerations to be made like positioning and terrain that could render the outcomes taken in vacuum meaningless. EviLore and I used to exchange ideas back and forth on this all the time and it was always cool to take that knowledge and apply it in an actual match. It's really no different from any other game in that if you love playing it enough and push yourself to be a little better now and then, eventually you're going to get really good at it, maybe not best in the world, but still damn respectable.

When I compare that experience to my experience with fighting games, I don't think the issues of tension are directly comparable. As mentioned, RTS games engage you in a slow buildup of tension that finally ends in some last clash of units, while fighting games, especially when played in a tournament setting, give you a quick shot of adrenaline and an extra shot if both players end up with low hp and it all comes down to one last exchange that decide who gets to keep playing and who has to kill time before driving home. The tension is acute and the feeling of "OH SHIT IF ONLY I HADN'T FUCKED UP THERE" is just as present but without any time lapse. Yes, sometimes the other player earns their victory by doing something really cool, but sometimes you simply gave it up.

In either case, I think the issue of rage and rage quitting arises when the feeling of "Why do I even bother?" crops up. If you're only marginally interested in the game to begin with, it's pretty easy to feel this way after being handed a resounding defeat, even more so if it was through mechanics you're not aware of and have little interest in figuring out. You get angry, sometimes saying the other player is cheap or has no life, and walk out. Of course, this can also arise from having to deal with other people, as asshole teammates will make you wish you weren't playing with them pretty damn fast, no matter how much you normally like the game.

Anyway, Doug's Indefensible defense bursted at the seams with his actual hatred from the very beginning. We've chided him for backhanded compliments before, but the barely contained rage was hilarious. :lol

Oh, and thanks for finally letting me stop second guessing myself whether Blackadder is really worth writing the Himu-chan entry I had in my mind.

Hitokage said:
Hominy is corn prepared so you don't get malnourished eating it as a staple grain. Grits is basically the corn version of Cream of Wheat.

THE MORE YOU KNOW

Man, I am an utter failure as a Southerner. I had always been told that all grits were made from a specific part of the corn kernel, and I had never bothered or thought to check that information until now. Yellow grits use the whole kernel, white grits use the hulled kernel.

I Push Fat Kids said:
Sorry for the laziness but did you guys do a Netbook Gaming segment at one point?

Yes, we did a short segment on the very first episode:

http://media.libsyn.com/media/borecast/Borecast1.mp3

We've mentioned it here or there since then. We should probably do another dedicated segment sometime.

Drinky always manages to put my thoughts into words, he's tearing heavy rain a new one. The whole thing just reminds me of a dodgy LARP.

Yoritomo

A few notes

Pozolé is great. We make a huge pot every year during the winter.

My favorite parts of Black Dynamite were the purposeful nods to the grindhouse cinema aspects of the movie.
The times when actors seemingly break character, miss a punch, or it seems the editor slipped up by throwing the wrong camera angle in there. My favorite is their decision to have Michael Jai White look off camera during his longer monologues so it looks like he's reading off a cue card.

Genius stuff in there. :lol

I'm surprised you own Macs Doug. My Dad (you worked with him at ECN/OU), the Mac advocate, has divested himself of any Mac related products.

Top Bottom