• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Both of Kuju's studios are developing next-gen titles (PS4, Wii U, Xbox One)

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I was doing a regular PDF search on Google and noticed some small news regarding Kuju Entertainment (under parent company Catalis SE). It comes from the Q1 2013 report by Catalis, from May 30/31:

Both studios of Kuju are actively developing games on one or more of the next gen consoles (PS4, Xbox one, Wii U) in addition to currently working up pitches for new concepts, specifically targeted to the latest consoles.

Market trends – Kuju in a strong position
Regarding the wider market, a number of market trends became apparent during the first quarter,
of which three are relevant for independent developers of video games:

1. Release of new generation consoles:
Adding to the continuing console rumours, new reports have suggested that both the PS4 and
Xbox 720 release date will both be held this autumn with each Nintendo Wii U rival to cost
around $400.

2. Increased emphasis on digital delivery of product:
Developers are increasingly developing a blend of retail and follow-on digital product.
Consequently, it is expected that project scopes will increase, development cycles will extend,
contract values will rise, and there will be a longer period of sales and royalty upside.

3. Recent market uncertainty has seen the closure of publisher-owned studios:
Notable closures include studios owned by THQ and LucasArts, which reduces direct
competition. The number of studios focussed on the console games market has declined over
the past year as publishers reduced their investment in new game titles in anticipation of the
release of the new generation consoles.

4. Kuju continues to focus on its core product (console based games) and its new product focus
is on utilising the technological advancements that the new generation consoles offer to
games developers.

Source:http://www.catalisgroup.com/fileadmin/img/catalis/pdfs/Quarterly_reports/Catalis_Q1_2013_7_.pdf

What studios they are referring to is not mentioned. As far as I know, Kuju Entertainment primarily operates the following studios:

Headstrong Games

As rumored by Emily Rogers and others, Headstrong is apparently working on a Wii U project.

Games developed:

• Battalion Wars 2 | (2007)
  • Art Academy | Nintendo DS (2009-2010)
  • The House of the Dead: Overkill | Wii (2009)
  • The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest | Wii (2010)
  • The Sorcerer's Apprentice | Nintendo DS (2010)
  • The House of the Dead: Overkill - Extended Cut | PS3 (2011)
  • New Art Academy | Nintendo 3DS (2012)
  • Rabbids Rumble | Nintendo 3DS (2012)
  • Top Gun: Hard Lock | PS3, Xbox 360, Windows (2012)
DoubleSix Games

Games developed:

• Burn, Zombie Burn! | Mac OS X, PS3, Windows (2009-2010)
  • South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play! | Xbox Live Arcade (2009)
  • Top Gun | PSN (2010)
  • Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? Special Editions | PSN, Windows, Xbox Live Arcade
  • All Zombies Must Die! | PS3, Windows, Xbox 360 (2011-2012)
Zoë Games/Zoe Mode Entertainment Ltd.

I don't know what's up with Zoë Mode, but Headstrong states this on its website:

Together with our sister studio, Zoe Mode, Headstrong Games is part of Kuju Entertainment Ltd., founded in 1998 and a wholly owned subsidiary of Catalis S.E.
Google states that record is from the 6th of October last year, so maybe something has changed.

Games developed:

• EyeToy: Play 3 | PS2 (2005)
  • EyeToy: Play Sports | PS2 (2006)
  • SingStar Rocks! | PS2 (2006)
  • EyeCreate | PS3 (2007)
  • EyeToy: Play Astro Zoo | PS2 (2007)
  • Dancing with the Stars | PS2, Wii (2007) (Developed by Headstrong though, but still under the Zoë Mode label)
  • SingStar Pop Hits | PS2 (2007)
  • EyeToy Play: Hero | PS2 (2008)
  • Dancing with the Stars: We Dance! | Wii (2008)
  • Disney Sing It | PS2, PS3, Wii, Windows, Xbox 360 (2008)
  • Disney Sing It! – High School Musical 3: Senior Year | PS2, PS3, Wii, Xbox 360 (2008)
  • Rock Revolution | Nintendo DS, PS3, Wii Xbox 360 (2008)
  • You're in the Movies | Xbox 360 (2008)
  • Grease: The Official Video Game | Wii (2010)
  • Chime | PS3, Steam, Xbox Live Arcade (2010-2011)
  • Crush 3D | Nintendo 3DS (2012)
They've also done some downloadable content for Guitar Hero 5/World Tour.

And I might as well mention Vatra Games. As reported having issues last year, the firm is now bankrupt (the process started on the 4th of September last year), according to the insolvency register of the Czech Ministry of Justice: https://isir.justice.cz/isir/ueu/evidence_upadcu_detail.do?id=fa60539a-87da-41c1-a31b-5d898e675fe4

I don't remember seeing any news about that, at least not here on NeoGAF. Most of the documents are in Czech and as I don't know the language I don't know the exact reasons for the bankruptcy. Feel free to check it out. Anyway, that studio can be excluded here.

Kuju Entertainment currently owns only one trademark (Rail Simulator), so this is most likely contract work unless they are planning on establishing some new IPs. What do you think?

I'd have to buy a Wii U if Headstrong are working on a new House of the Dead game.

It's probably not anything like that though, right?

Penguin

I hope it's Batallion Wars U.

With a cartoony, but more realistic art style.

I think would be great if similar to that BattleShip game from last year, which had a naval strategy game on your "tablet" and a 3rd person shooter/combat as the core game

I hope it's Batallion Wars U.

With a cartoony, but more realistic art style.

I think would be great if similar to that BattleShip game from last year, which had a naval strategy game on your "tablet" and a 3rd person shooter/combat as the core game

Please let it be this. Sounds fantastic!

OnFire331

1. Release of new generation consoles: Adding to the continuing console rumours, new reports have suggested that both the PS4 and Xbox 720 release date will both be held this autumn with each Nintendo Wii U rival to cost around $400.

Hmm?

TheChaos

Bought the Chime Super Duper Mega Hyper Deluxe Edition on PS3 and loved it. Hope they get around to making another one.

Shiggy

Just a few things:
- Kuju operates only two studios these days, Headstrong Games and Zoe Mode.
- Vatra Games, Kuju Manila, Kuju America, and whatever other studio there was - they are all gone.
- Double Six Games was split off from Kuju and held as a business division of Catalis, alongside Testronic and Kuju - looks like they are gone now.
- Dancing with the Stars was developed by Headstrong Games and released under the Zoe Mode label.

And why does Kuju's website lead to Testronic, another part of the Catalis Group?

Schnozberry

Battalion Wars III would be fantastic. Especially with gamepad integration and massive online play. I don't know how many Wii U's it would sell, but it would be a great part of any software line up.

Top Bottom