• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's statement on layoffs & concerns "We know we have lost a lot of your trust"

Why Microsoft acquisitions are not affected with layoffs?
4YiauVk.gif

Aion002

They were too greedy.

If Destiny 2 had ended with the Forsaken dlc, then they started working on Destiny 3 for next gen they could have kept the popularity... But nooooo.... They decided to milk Destiny 2 making lower quality dlc, adding microtransactions and battle passes because: "fuck the players gives us more money!"

It's not on Sony, true...totally separate thing that just happens to be happening around the same time. This is on Bungie...yet Bungie somehow gets to advise Naughty Dog on the "stickiness" of their games, when Bungie is literally hosting the equivalent of the Titanic in their game. That part, is on Sony.

1.2 billion meant to retain employees...where did the money go?
There's no way they went thru 1.2 billion dollars in that short of a time that was meant for employee retention.

That money went somewhere else because you could start a company from scratch with the size of Bungie and still not blow through that much cash in 2 years.

3bovka.png

KILL IT NOW, BEFORE IT RESURRECTS!

This all smells of Lip Service and they won't have time (or will) to revamp the whole final expansion. Bungie's strongest team is their marketing one, just look at all the trailers and whatnot and people sing praises to them that they "DID IT" this time. Just look at the reception of Lightfall's launch trailer and then the week after when reality settled in. Destiny players have been playing the hamster wheel with each new big release, so I don't doubt Bungie will pull one last fast one before ditching out Destiny for good. Gamers are just that stupid and gullible.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
There's no way they went thru 1.2 billion dollars in that short of a time that was meant for employee retention.

That money went somewhere else because you could start a company from scratch with the size of Bungie and still not blow through that much cash in 2 years.
From the Forbes article.
" the $1.2 billion in employee retention from Sony was spent long ago, often on buying out employees’ Bungie shares which then went to Sony. There’s nothing left in that pot to avoid layoffs, which wasn’t what it was meant for this late in the transition."

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Well, let’s see how they monitize the shit out of the next season and last shape. I actually like gaas as a model but it seems like Bungie did their best to ruin a good thing.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Maybe THIS DLC will have a better than unsatisfying conclusion to an epic cosmic force they built up for years and dwindled down to a talking gun or a worm that talks like a retarded toddler while paying full game price for the base DLC and not even getting everything because some stuff is locked behind a season you have to further purchase and seeing all of the content requires coordinating 6 adults with jobs and sometimes families instead of scaling everything to be doable as a single player and....Well....Maybe this one?

As much hate as Destiny gets at least on this forum, I really do hope The Final Shape is a satisfying ending to the 10 year dark and light saga. Every epic bad guy just seems to be dwindled down as soon as they make it to screen and then there's another stronger villain behind the curtain. I hope The Final Shape isn't just yet another cliffhanger for Destiny 3 and actually ties up all the loose ends satisfyingly.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Is someone lying?

A studio isn't in jeopardy without a corporate buy out if the acquisition price for a game studio who makes one game at a time costs $3.6 billion. If things were that bad, it'd be more like a couple hundred million for sake of grabbing the Destiny IP and their GAAS fans and call it a day. Bungie even had funds to build a new office.

Unless Sony just massively overpaid.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is someone lying?

A studio isn't in jeopardy without a corporate buy out if the acquisition price for a game studio who makes one game at a time costs $3.6 billion. If things were that bad, it'd be more like a couple hundred million for sake of grabbing the Destiny IP and their GAAS fans and call it a day. Bungie even had funds to build a new office.

Please correct my understanding on this, but wasn't there news that they specifically paid a billion more just to make sure employees are retained?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Please correct my understanding on this, but wasn't there news that they specifically paid a billion more just to make sure employees are retained?
Yup. $1.2 billion of it is vested share retention bonuses. No article ever specified the amounts or timing per employee, but going by the tweets the perk was to be paid out over the course of several years. So perhaps(?) every 6 months or 12 months each employee still around gets a pay out. And as per the fall out, any employee not around (100 people recently fired) gets no more.

It's an odd thing because no company doing a giant buy out does this kind of thing. At least not publicly and to have it be 33% of the price seems oddly large.

But they had to do it since Sony's focus is so big on their GAAS advice, so they couldnt afford to have everyone quit for another company. That would defeat the purpose of learning all their GAAS expertise if people bailed by the boatload.

unlurkified

I have thought about trying out Destiny 2, but I have read some say it isn't very new player accessible at this point now. Is that statement largely true?
Basically true. I got back into it for about a year (9/21-9/22) after quitting around Summer 2015. Played for about 1,000 hours over that year and most of it just felt like grinding out catalysts, weapon collecting, etc to try and catch up. It’s also about $200 to catch up on all content which is absurd.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yup. $1.2 billion of it is vested share retention bonuses. No article ever specified the amounts or timing per employee, but going by the tweets the perk was to be paid out over the course of several years. So perhaps(?) every 6 months or 12 months each employee still around gets a pay out. And as per the fall out, any employee not around (100 people recently fired) gets no more

And I don't think anyone has talked about it, maybe they're under NDA. But, firing people just a day before the medical coverage ends is pretty pretty pretty awful.

Z O N E

I don't think people realise that Bungie has been struggling from Day 1 and by Day 1 I mean since Halo 1.

Didn't they have to re-do Halo 1 to work on Xbox since it was a Mac game?
Then you had Halo 2 which they had to re-do in about 1 year before release?
Then you had Halo 3 which people didn't like at the beginning but eventually got better.
Halo 3: ODST was a great add-on to Halo 3.
Halo Reach, as much as I like the campaign, the multiplayer was dogshit. Bloom made me age about 10 years.
Then they left and started working on Destiny 1 and even had Destiny 1 development issues where they had to re-do the campaign in a short time and even fired the lead guy involved in the original campaign.
Then they said that Destiny 2 will be even better because Destiny 1 had engine issues where content was hard to bring to players, but here we are in 2023 and they're locking content in the "Destiny Vault" because the engine is still dogshit.

It's very easy for them to blame Microsoft and Activision for their "issues" but the issues are with their management.

No Mans Sky devs went dark, came back and fixed their game
Cyberpunk was... laughable at release, devs stuck by it and even spent more money than expected on the DLC and fixing a lot of the issues and honestly, I have put in over 100 hours into Cyberpunk since. Amazing game.

They should've made Destiny 3 and then went to Marathon instead of the stupid GAAS seasons they did for Destiny 2.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

I have lost all faith in almost all western developers. DEFINITELY the American ones who cannot get their shit together and make unpolished messes of games, while they shamelessly try to rip their customer base with more and more greedy microtransactions who get overpriced as FUCK. Mortal Kombat 1 sold a FATALITY at TWELVE FUCKING DOLLARS. TWELVE. That's one FIFTH of the base game's value. For a FATALITY.

They don't respect your support. They don't respect your wallet. They don't respect your time. They just want to milk you like you're a fucking cow.

Well I say, fuck them.

I am going to support developers who give me a solid amount of content for a reasonable price (compared to the amount and quality of the content I am getting).

So I going to support FROM.

I am going to support Capcom (via Resident Evil and Dragon's Dogma - Street Fighter can fuck off)

I am going to support Vanillaware.

I am going to support Larian (while they did pander to the woke, the story and the game didn't suffer for it, so they get a pass).

I am going to support indie devs who make good games that appeal to me - and are selling them at very reasonable prices.

I am done with Bungie.

I am done with Sony's 1st party studios.

I am done with Bethesda.

I am done with Netherealm.

I am done with greedy, incompetent, woke cunts.

I don't have a lot of time and money for entertainment anymore. And I intend to be very, VERY picky from now on.

Fuck them.

Ribi

I have lost all faith in almost all western developers. DEFINITELY the American ones who cannot get their shit together and make unpolished messes of games, while they shamelessly try to rip their customer base with more and more greedy microtransactions who get overpriced as FUCK. Mortal Kombat 1 sold a FATALITY at TWELVE FUCKING DOLLARS. TWELVE. That's one FIFTH of the base game's value. For a FATALITY.

They don't respect your support. They don't respect your wallet. They don't respect your time. They just want to milk you like you're a fucking cow.

Well I say, fuck them.

I am going to support developers who give me a solid amount of content for a reasonable price (compared to the amount and quality of the content I am getting).

So I going to support FROM.

I am going to support Capcom (via Resident Evil and Dragon's Dogma - Street Fighter can fuck off)

I am going to support Vanillaware.

I am going to support Larian (while they did pander to the woke, the story and the game didn't suffer for it, so they get a pass).

I am going to support indie devs who make good games that appeal to me - and are selling them at very reasonable prices.

I am done with Bungie.

I am done with Sony's 1st party studios.

I am done with Bethesda.

I am done with Netherealm.

I am done with greedy, incompetent, woke cunts.

I don't have a lot of time and money for entertainment anymore. And I intend to be very, VERY picky from now on.

Fuck them.
It wasn't even that long that we fucking hated Capcom? And from? They just reuse assets from 10 years ago

Nickolaidas

It wasn't even that long that we fucking hated Capcom? And from? They just reuse assets from 10 years ago
As long as they utilize those assets in a way that feels new to me, I am okay with it.

And Capcom have MORE than redeemed themselves. I mean, who the fuck says 'Crapcom' anymore? We got Resident Evil 7, 2, 3 and 4. Monster Hunter World. Devil May Cry V. They regained my trust for quite a while now.

Alebrije

I remember Destiny release, great game even got my white PS4 becuase Destiny's bundle.

The first letdown was Bungies abandoning singleplayer and focusing on miltiplayer...yes we got and story but never was the main focus of the IP.

Multiplayers was good honestly but then we know wha hapenned and the last years have been the worse.

Think the IP is done , Bungie need to focus on something new ASAP
But also think Marathon is not the answer...
They need a great FPS with deep.story and flawless multiplayer not an extraction game. And it must be done on a new context not another space themed game.

Even with a new ip, I wouldn't be quick to jump back into a Bungie game knowing the mindset behind their monetization practices.
They make good stuff, but they've lost my trust that they wouldn't be nickle and diming my wallet as their goal.

Perhaps they need a single player non-GAAS title as their next game, but I doubt they would pursue anything like that. Especially since Sony bought them for their GAAS expertise.

I still don't understand how they blew thru so much cash given how much money comes in from annual expansions, seasons, dungeon key and microtransactions.

I don't think people realise that Bungie has been struggling from Day 1 and by Day 1 I mean since Halo 1.

Didn't they have to re-do Halo 1 to work on Xbox since it was a Mac game?
Then you had Halo 2 which they had to re-do in about 1 year before release?
Then you had Halo 3 which people didn't like at the beginning but eventually got better.
Halo 3: ODST was a great add-on to Halo 3.
Halo Reach, as much as I like the campaign, the multiplayer was dogshit. Bloom made me age about 10 years.
Then they left and started working on Destiny 1 and even had Destiny 1 development issues where they had to re-do the campaign in a short time and even fired the lead guy involved in the original campaign.
Then they said that Destiny 2 will be even better because Destiny 1 had engine issues where content was hard to bring to players, but here we are in 2023 and they're locking content in the "Destiny Vault" because the engine is still dogshit.

It's very easy for them to blame Microsoft and Activision for their "issues" but the issues are with their management.

No Mans Sky devs went dark, came back and fixed their game
Cyberpunk was... laughable at release, devs stuck by it and even spent more money than expected on the DLC and fixing a lot of the issues and honestly, I have put in over 100 hours into Cyberpunk since. Amazing game.

They should've made Destiny 3 and then went to Marathon instead of the stupid GAAS seasons they did for Destiny 2.
I think most of this is pretty fair and accurate and I guess I never thought about how much Bungie has kind of been playing fast and loose considering how many of their games I've really really enjoyed. I guess at the end of the day, if the product is there, most of us don't think about the development of it.

It makes their acquisition even more interesting. Sony has to know something we don't to spend that much money.

Kaleinc

Banned
Crapcom outsourced their games to shitty western devs instead of actually making them in house. Those games looked like crap, performed like crap and played like crap

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Crapcom outsourced their games to shitty western devs instead of actually making them in house. Those games looked like crap, performed like crap and played like crap
That was last gen right? their newer games has been great

Thirty7ven

Banned
Is someone lying?

Who do you think is telling this story? Somebody who got fired, who didn’t know they were going to get fired, who thought everything was going normal, and now that they got fired they are saying Bungie is so down they almost closed. Come on.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
It's an odd thing because no company doing a giant buy out does this kind of thing. At least not publicly and to have it be 33% of the price seems oddly large.

It's not odd at all and the amount spent on retention is largely going to be determined by what is driving the value of the acquired company (physical assets, relationships, talent , IP, etc.). Bungie was acquired largely for their development prowess so Sony would naturally spend great sums of money in talent retention.

DeaDPo0L84

Bungie focused so much on DEI that now their game/company is going to DIE. I won't even be bothered if they completely shut down, they pretty much have when it comes to Destiny anyways.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Bungie focused so much on DEI that now their game/company is going to DIE. I won't even be bothered if they completely shut down, they pretty much have when it comes to Destiny anyways.
After the latest Bungie layoffs and poor performance, didn't a gaffer retweet one of their latest posts focusing on Latinx? lol.

So the company is in the shitter lately, people fired, and the company is asking their social media manager to do diversity posts. wow.

ByWatterson

With a joke studio like 343 I think they want as a last hope to save Halo.

343 is crushing it with Halo Infinite lately.

Steam player count is up five of the last six months, it's the #15 most played game on Xbox, third most played on Gamepass, and community sentiment is uniformly positive.

Since the leadership change, 343 is performing much better than Bungie.

Last edited:
Top Bottom