• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call Of Duty games from Xbox 360 are now the top selling games on Xbox, after Microsoft fixed the severs.

Draugoth

Gold Member
A bunch of Xbox 360 Call of Duty games are now the top selling games in the Xbox store after Microsoft fixed matchmaking issues
More than 100,000 players are online and playing the original Call of Duty: Black Ops Xbox 360 game, apparently.

Activision has fixed matchmaking server issues in some older Call of Duty titles for the Xbox 360. Players have been complaining about matchmaking issues in classics like Call of Duty: Black Ops and the original Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 over the past few years, as they haven’t been able to get into lobbies for multiplayer modes. Now that the servers are back and working, the player count in Call of Duty: Black Ops (which might not be totally accurate) stands at more than 100,000.

That doesn’t mean thousands of Xbox 360 consoles are suddenly being powered on. It’s all possible thanks to Microsoft’s backward compatibility support on Xbox, allowing Xbox One and Xbox Series S / X owners to play these classic Call of Duty games. All you have to do is put your old disc in or even install a digital copy of the game, and all your Xbox 360 progress from more than a decade ago will have been preserved, including your Call of Duty prestige ranks.

Nice, it is still quite a brutal game, the dismemberment has never been reproduced in a CoD game. The maps were all decent too. Especially the dlc maps seems like a bit of a piss take they are reducing the games price but not the dlc which is still full price. Should be free in my opinion now and infact just unlocked which out having to redeem.

TheUsual

Gold Member
I said screw it and bought a digital copy of OG MW2 to play some multiplayer again. Damn, was like stepping back in time. Was great seeing my progress as I remembered it.

I am just as terrible now as I was then.

lem0n

Can't wait to log back in. BO1 is how my best friend and I bonded so it'll be nice to play that with him again.

Portugeezer

I wonder if they would have fixed the PS3 versions if they were playable on PS4/5?
Probably not. They could have "fixed" this before (seeing as they don't own AB yet), so it seems like it was done primarily for gamepass reasons now that the acquisition is going through.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I wonder if they would have fixed the PS3 versions if they were playable on PS4/5?

Good point, they're relegated to Cloud as it stands right now on PS4/5. But then again you *can* still play those games on PS3, but the match making just won't be anywhere near as good.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
The numbers don't lie. This should show everyone that the majority of new multiplayer games pale in comparison to these classics.

The older COD games were so much better. Great map design. New and innovative mechanics for their day. Incredibly tight gameplay. No MTX garbage. Simple progression with a clear "ending" goal. No live service trash that infects your subconscious into FOMO phycological disorders. Actual rewards to push towards. Minimalistic customization.

Call of Duty 4
World at War
(the absolute best hardcore game modes, yet to be topped)
Modern Warfare 2
Black Ops

This is the best timeline for Call of Duty. All of these games released back to back and all of them are classics.

maxresdefault.jpg

kcjziwb6dwz81.png

The numbers don't lie. This should show everyone that the majority of new multiplayer games pale in comparison to these classics.

The older COD games were so much better. Great map design. New and innovative mechanics for their day. Incredibly tight gameplay. No MTX garbage. Simple progression with a clear "ending" goal. No live service trash that infects your subconscious into FOMO phycological disorders. Actual rewards to push towards. Minimalistic customization.

Call of Duty 4
World at War
Modern Warfare 2
Black Ops

This is the best timeline for Call of Duty. All of these games released back to back and all of them are classics.

maxresdefault.jpg

kcjziwb6dwz81.png
Hell yeah Hardcore snd and hardcore war on World at War probably the best hardcore modes we ever had. Even on PC hard core SnD on W@W was amazing even had some 64 player servers back in the day was great on the larger maps like Airfield.

adamsapple

Call of Duty 4
World at War
Modern Warfare 2
Black Ops

maxresdefault.jpg

kcjziwb6dwz81.png

I sincerely hope and pray these games get resolution boosts when the deal is closed and if they're all going to land on game pass.

I will happily play all the campaigns from the first ones if they do that.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I am tempted to open my sealed xbox series s halo infinite edition just to play these games. I always thought and still think they are more fun than current games

MarkMe2525

FYI the reason only the Xbox versions of the servers were fixed is because this was purely a Microsoft step, Activision did not have anything to do with this.
So... Are you saying MS was to blame for the initial matchmaking problems? 😛

Last edited:

xBlueStonex

Microsoft needs to be applauded for their stance on backwards compatibility and the insane engineering that went into getting these 360 games to work so flawlessly on Series S/X hardware. I'm having a blast running through BO2 Zombies with old college buddies of mine.

Kvally

Banned
Why were they broken to begin with? At no point should this been have been acceptable to be broken. People paid hard earned money for these games. They should always work. Or was this just a compatibility issue with Series X/S?

Last edited:

havoc00

Why were they broken to begin with? At no point should this been have been acceptable to be broken. People paid hard earned money for these games. They should always work.
The servers were F'd I have no idea how they were allowed to sell for 50 bucks being broke and known they were broken plus they were charging full price for dlc

WoodyStare

Welp. Apparently I wiped the floor with a hacker in MW3 and they decided to wipe my online ranking in return. I’m not even bothered by it, it actually made me laugh like a madman and happily start over. Thankfully all of my weapon progress is still there so I just have to unlock them again which shouldn’t take long.

The salt from their tears gave me power.

adamsapple

The DLC for all of those old games should be made available for free at this point.

Why would they do that when its making them bank, lol.

-

8 out of the top 10 selling games(s) on Xbox right now are Activision titles. Along with it also being the top selling/downloaded franchise on the PS consoles.

They've made a pretty sound investment.

ozkbdJD.jpg

havoc00

Why would they do that when its making them bank, lol.

-

8 out of the top 10 selling games(s) on Xbox right now are Activision titles. Along with it also being the top selling/downloaded franchise on the PS consoles.

They've made a pretty sound investment.

ozkbdJD.jpg
Cod runs the industry

adamsapple

They made DLC's for old Halo games in 360 free.

Right, for a re-release. That's like how Mass Effect didn't make its DLC free until the Legendary Edition.

If you want a bundle of the CoDs with the DLC included, that's a different matter.

Sushi_Combo

Because they’re included in MCC
If I remember correctly, Halo 3 map packs would be free about a year after release. Halo being a juggernaut of a game back then, it was kind of a big deal. Microsoft doesn't really lose much if they provide all the DLC included with the base game.

spons

Gold Member
Backwards compatibility was such a good move for everybody involved. It just shows that if you put the fucking work in you can get decent results.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Because they’re included in MCC
Right, for a re-release. That's like how Mass Effect didn't make its DLC free until the Legendary Edition.

If you want a bundle of the CoDs with the DLC included, that's a different matter.
No, they made the DLC's for backward compatible Xbox 360 Halo games free. I am not talking aabout MCC.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
No, they made the DLC's for backward compatible Xbox 360 Halo games free. I am not talking aabout MCC.
They were made free because of MCC releasing with them included. EA (and MS for the first game) made the Mass Effect BC DLC free when the collection was released as well.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
They were made free because of MCC releasing with them included. EA (and MS for the first game) made the Mass Effect BC DLC free when the collection was released as well.
They were only made free in 2017, when they were made backwards compatible.

Danknugz

CMA is protecting us from this awful.. dreadful possibility, but unfortunatly it appear to be a matter of time before these games are on GP and we all suffer the consequences.
what the consequences? not being convinced to spend 70$ for the same game 10 years in a row?

Top Bottom