• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Sales Data

Dalthien

Just to recap the NPD sales charts for the past four months (with June now added) - to make it easier to see instead of digging through that mountain of information in the first post.

March 2006: (by units)

1 - X360 - Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (Tom Clancy's)
2 - PS2 - Kingdom Hearts II
3 - X360 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
14 - PS2 - Gran Turismo 4
16 - PS2 - God of War
(Note that there were 3 X360 titles in the Top 5)

April 2006: (by units)

1 - PS2 - Kingdom Hearts II
2 - PS2 - Gran Turismo 4
3 - DS - Brain Age
4 - DS - Metroid Prime Hunters
5 - PS2 - God of War
6 - X360 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
10 - X360 - Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (Tom Clancy's)

May 2006: (by units)

1 - DS - New Super Mario Bros.
3 - DS - Brain Age
4 - PS2 - God of War
5 - PS2 - Gran Turismo 4
8 - PS2 - 2006 FIFA World Cup
(Note that there were 11 PS2/PSP titles in the Top 20, 7 GC/DS/GBA titles in the Top 20, and 2 XBX/X360 titles in the Top 20)
(Note that 4 of the 7 GC/DS/GBA titles in the Top 20 were Super Mario titles)

June 2006: (by units)

2 - PS2 - Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
3 - DS - Brain Age
4 - PS2 - 2006 FIFA World Cup
5 - X360 - Hitman: Blood Money
6 - PS2 - Hitman: Blood Money

Dalthien

Just added the chart for May, 2005 to the original post.

May 2005: (by units)

1 - GBA - Pokemon Emerald
2 - PS2 - Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
3 - XBX - Forza Motorsport
4 - XBX - Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
5 - PS2 - Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition
6 - PS2 - Gran Turismo 4
7 - PS2 - God of War
8 - XBX - Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition
9 - XBX - Jade Empire
10 - PSP - Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee
16 - PS2 - Lego Star Wars
19 - GBA - Lego Star Wars

Dalthien

Added some more data:

The Dec/05 chart has been updated with a few new titles, and the Jan/06 is new to the original data. All of the data can be found in the first post of this thread.

December 2005: (by units)

1 - PS2 - NHL 2006
2 - PS2 - Need for Speed: Most Wanted
5 - XBX - NHL 2006
7 - GC - Super Mario Strikers
17 - X360 - Call of Duty 2

January 2006: (by units)

1 - PS2 - NHL 2006
2 - X360 - Dead or Alive 4
3 - PS2 - Need for Speed: Most Wanted
4 - X360 - Call of Duty 2
5 - XBX - NHL 2006

Firestorm

But we have love for Nintendo which kind of helps with that ^_^
If 2K Sports made a hockey title for the GCN, I'd get it. But all they do is PS2/XBX. I only have a PS2 and GCN and I'm not getting a hockey game for a console with two control ports >.>;

Wow, I'm loving these numbers. Great to see what's selling up here.

Why am I not surprised at how much NHL sells here lol.

I really didn't expect Harvest Moon to sell so well...

I am somewhat surprised at the slight differences in gaming tastes. I thought the games I liked was only limited to my friends and me.

Dalthien do you have February 2006? (/me checks again that it isn't there.....ok, it isnt).

I have some interest in Tales of Legendia particulary...maaybe it got to top20 or something thanks to importers from canadian online shops...

Dalthien

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Dalthien do you have February 2006? (/me checks again that it isn't there.....ok, it isnt).

I have some interest in Tales of Legendia particulary...maaybe it got to top20 or something thanks to importers from canadian online shops...
To be honest, I'm not sure, but probably not.

I've been collecting a million various Canadian articles and reports on the videogaming industry for the past year or so, and many of them will have some reference to some NPD Canada data buried in a paragraph or two in the middle of the article. That's actually why I started this thread - as a chance for me to archive the relevant NPD data that was stored in all of those different articles and reports, so that I could get the data stored in one place and start deleting a lot of these articles that have been piling up. I wasn't expecting anyone else to really care, but it has been nice seeing some fellow Canadians enjoy the data as well.

In any case, I was going through some more of the articles, and I was able to update the data some more this morning. I still have some more to go through, and there will be some more updates coming when I get the time to go through it, but most of the data that I have is listed in the first post.

It's weird. It's starting to become pretty easy to find regular sales data from countries like Sweden, Ireland, New Zealand, etc. these days - but it is still very tough to find Canadian sales data. Although I do have a fairly comprehensive collection of it posted here - including a pretty complete set of financial data for the industry through 2005.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
sonycowboy said:
Oops. Didn't read closely enough.
Damn Nintendo fanboy.

The whole article:
DS equals dynamo stats

Nintendo is having a very good summer. Six of the 10 top-selling games in Canada last month bear the company's logo, five of them for its dual-screen portable, the DS. That nifty gadget also helped buoy game software and hardware sales around the world in July.

Total video game revenue was up 29 per cent over 2005, according to the NPD Group, a sales tracking firm. Game sales for the DS led the way, with titles such as New Super Mario Bros. and Brain Age resulting in a 354-per-cent increase over the same period a year earlier.

At the other end of the ledger, Sony saw game sales for its handheld system, the PlayStation Portable, fall 40 per cent last month.

Dalthien

sonycowboy said:
BTW,

The DS had a great month in Canada. 6 of the top 10 titles in July.
Hey, thanks for reminding me Sonycowboy!

I've had some of the July chart for a while now, but forgot to update this thread.

Here are the last 3 months in Canada:

May 2006: (by units)

3 - DS - Brain Age
4 - PS2 - God of War
5 - PS2 - Gran Turismo 4
8 - PS2 - 2006 FIFA World Cup

(Note that there were 11 PS2/PSP titles in the Top 20, 7 GC/DS/GBA titles in the Top 20, and 2 XBX/X360 titles in the Top 20)
(Note that 4 of the 7 GC/DS/GBA titles in the Top 20 were Super Mario titles)

June 2006: (by units)

3 - DS - Brain Age
4 - PS2 - 2006 FIFA World Cup
5 - X360 - Hitman: Blood Money
6 - PS2 - Hitman: Blood Money
10 - DS - Mario Kart DS

July 2006: (by units)

3 - DS - Brain Age
4 - X360 - Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-Earth II
5 - DS - Mario Kart DS

(Note that Nintendo published 6 of the Top 10 this month, with 5 of those being DS titles, and the other title belonging to either the GC or GBA)

You know that DS sales are strong in Canada when Mario Kart DS is back up to #5 overall for the month.

Dalthien

Here are the August 2006 Top 5 for Canada

August 2006: (by units)

1 - X360 - Dead Rising
2 - DS - New Super Mario Bros.
3 - PS2 - Madden NFL 07
4 - PS2 - Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus
5 - X360 - Madden NFL 07

It's so interesting to see how Madden only debuts at #3 in Canada in its opening month. It goes without saying that NHL 07 will dominate the September chart.

I also updated the Feb/05 chart in the first post of this thread for anyone who cares. I still have some more minor updates coming when I get some time.

Dalthien

tegdf said:
how many 360's have sold in Canada?
I don't have exact numbers for 2006. I have it at about 58,000 for 2005, and the best estimate LTD through August would be about 200,000 - maybe even slightly more.

donny2112

From this article...

Looking at the 18 months after launch of each system, the PSP sold 5.30 million units in America compared to the PS1's 3.48 million, according to SCEA internal sell-through data. Furthermore, while the DS has been an unbelievable success in Japan, in North America since the PSP launched it's outsold the DS, roughly 5 million units to 4.1 million units. Life-to-date, however, the DS still has a larger installed base in North America (5.6 million vs. 4.9 million).

And if you look at the adoption rate of the DS over the first 17 months, not only does it trail the PSP but it also trails their other platforms...

1. I believe he is dealing with through July 2006 data. NDS was at 5.6 and PSP was at 4.9 through July 2006.
2. The article writer says "18 months," but the interviewee (second part of quote) says "17 months." Through July 2006 is 17 months.
3. The PSP still isn't at 5.3 million, so I think the difference (400K) is because he's accounting for all of NA.

Taking all of that, and the PSP sell-through in Canada and Mexico through July 2006 could be 400K.

Just wanted to add that to this thread. :)

Dalthien

donny2112 said:
From this article...

1. I believe he is dealing with through July 2006 data. NDS was at 5.6 and PSP was at 4.9 through July 2006.
2. The article writer says "18 months," but the interviewee (second part of quote) says "17 months." Through July 2006 is 17 months.
3. The PSP still isn't at 5.3 million, so I think the difference (400K) is because he's accounting for all of NA.

Taking all of that, and the PSP sell-through in Canada and Mexico through July 2006 could be 400K.

Just wanted to add that to this thread. :)
That article is really all over the place (saying 'North America' to refer to the US, saying 'America' to refer to North America, haphazardly alternating between 17 months or 18 months, etc.) - so it is difficult to be sure of exactly what was being referred to in that article.

Having said that, your interpretation is probably the most likely - and it fits pretty well with what I would believe the numbers to be. My best estimate for the PSP would be about 350k through July - so maybe about 50k for Mexico? I have no idea what sales numbers are like for Mexico, but that is what I would take out of that article.

Dalthien

I know everyone is ready for the October NPD numbers tomorrow (at least, I think it's tomorrow), but here is the September NPD chart for Canada. No surprises here - hockey always owns September in Canada.

September 2006: (by units)

1 - PS2 - NHL 07
2 - X360 - NHL 07
3 - XBX - NHL 07
4 - X360 - Saints Row
5 - PS2 - Madden NFL 07
6 - PS2 - Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
13 - XBX - NHL 2k7
15 - GC - Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
19 - X360 - Dead Rising
20 - X360 - Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy

Dalthien

Firestorm said:
Hm, last time there was a GameCube NHL '07 there too... I don't think we got one on GCN this year did we?
No, EA didn't release a GC version this year, although they said that they fully plan to have Wii versions for future years. It's too bad, because the Cube version was #6 in September and #7 in October last year, and it certainly would have been in the Top 10 this month as well if they had released it.

Dalthien

October 2006: (by units)

1 - PS2 - NHL 07
2 - X360 - Splinter Cell: Double Agent (Tom Clancy's)
3 - PS2 - Scarface
4 - PS2 - NHL 2k7
6 - XBX - NHL 07
8 - X360 - NHL 07

Nothing terribly exciting here. Hockey dominated again, just as it did in September.

apujanata

Dalthien said:
There's no way to know for sure, but I suspect that Kia is right when he suggests that the difference between the Cube and XBox is probably a bit closer than the shipment numbers indicate. The US and Japan basically cancel each other out, and the XBox is ahead in Europe, but I seriously doubt that it is ahead by 4 million units in Europe.

I'm not sure because I haven't checked in a while, but I seem to recall MS reported fairly high shipment numbers (like 2 million units or something) for the XBox in Asia-Pacific. I'm sure someone can verify the actual numbers, but I seem to recall it being quite a bit higher than their sales in Japan. If that is the case, then they either have a buttload of unsold XBox's still lying throughout the Asia-Pacific region, or they actally sold a lot of consoles throughout Asia even though they didn't sell much in Japan. I tend to believe that they simply overshipped the region as a whole, because it is hard to believe that they bombed in Japan, and yet found great success in the neighbouring regions. But I suppose it is possible.

In any case, jarrod also brought up a good point: (this is from several months ago, before Nintendo established an in-house Korean branch)

I'm not sure if Nintendo counts the sales in the Asia-Pacific region or not, but it seems likely that they don't considering that their shipment numbers for Japan for the Gamecube are almost identical to the sell-through numbers. So it is clear that Nintendo does not include the neighbouring regions in their Japan numbers. I'm not sure if they count them in their 'Other' numbers or not. But considering that those regions are licensed out to other firms, I suspect that those sales are not included in Nintendo's shipment totals, whereas MS does include those regions. That would make the actual difference between the Cube and XBox closer than the shipment numbers suggest.

As I live in Asia Pacific, I can tell you that :
XBOX in Asia Pacific is alive. I think it can easily number into 1 Million unit or more. The reason : piracy.
Gamecube are also pirated, but the it is only available around mid 2005, while XBOX was pirated around mid 2002.
Piracy is quite rampant in Indonesia, Malaysia and China. I don't know whether China can be categorized as Asia Pacific or it is categorized as Asia, but of those 1 billion chinese people, it is not hard to imagine that there is around 1 million XBOX just for that country.
Indonesia should be around 100K, and Malaysia should also be around 100K (my own estimate, not based on newspaper news or anything like that).

Top Bottom