• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Platinum Titles & Franchise Sales Update Jun. 6th, 2023 - Ace Attorney series passes 10M Sold, MMX collection Volume 1 passes 1M, & more

Nautilus

Banned

Credit: Jawmuncher from Resetera

* indicates a new entry for the million+ sellers list

Monster Hunter Series
Monster Hunter World - 18.8M +200K
Monster Hunter Rise - 12.7M +1M
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne - 10.2M +200K
Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak - 5.4M +500K

Resident Evil Series
Resident Evil VII - 12M +300K
Resident Evil 2 Remake - 11.9 +700K
Resident Evil 5 (PS3, 360, DL) - 8.7M +100K
Resident Evil Village - 7.9M +500K
Resident Evil 3 Remake - 7M +600K
Resident Evil Remake HD (PS3, DL) - 3.8M +100K
Resident Evil 0 HD - 3.8M +100K
Resident Evil 4 Remake - 3.7M*
Resident Evil 5 (PS4/X1) - 2.6M +100K
Resident Evil 4 Ultimate HD (PC) - 2.5M +200K
Resident Evil 4 (PS4/360) - 1.3M +100K

Capcom Fighters
Street Fighter V - 7.2M +200K
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection - 2.7M +200K
Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite - 2.1M +100K
Ultra Street Fighter 4 - 1.9M +100K
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (PS4/X1/DL) - 1.6M +100K

Devil May Cry Series
Devil May Cry 5 - 6.9M +500K
DmC: Devil May Cry (PS3, 360, DL) - 2.9M +100K
Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition - 2.3M +100K
DmC: Devil May Cry Definitive Edition - 1.3M +100K
Devil May Cry HD Collection (PS4, X1, DL) - 1.3M +100K

Other
Dead Rising 3 - 3.3M +100K
Okami HD - 2.1M +100K
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PS4, NSW, DL) - 2.1M +200K
Mega Man 11 - 1.7M +100K
Dead Rising 4 - 1.4M +100K
Megaman Legacy Collection - 1.4M +100K
Capcom Arcade Stadium - 1.1M*
Mega Man X: Legacy Collection - 1M*

Franchise Updates
Dragon's Dogma - 7.4M +200K
Okami - 3.9M +100K
Monster Hunter - 92M +2M
Ace Attorney - 10M +200K
Devil May Cry - 29M +1M
Onimusha - 8.6M +100K
Resident Evil - 142M

Nautilus

Banned
Should be noted that the MMX Collection 1 million sales almost certainly only refers to Volume 1, as Volume 1+2 were at 1.4 million units sold way back in 2019, almost 4 years ago.

If I had to guess, Volume 1+2 should be around 1.8 million, if not REALLY close to 2 million.

It's interesting how big Monster Hunter is now after World. Hopefully there will be more soon.

Hopefully, they don't do any more fucking Switch exclusivity with the franchise and go full multiplatform from here on out.

I want a MH:W2 built for PS5 and XSX and ported down to switch. Not a game built for the Switch's shitty hardware, up-ported to the high-end home consoles.

Nautilus

Banned
Hopefully, they don't do any more fucking Switch exclusivity with the franchise and go full multiplatform from here on out.

I want a MH:W2 built for PS5 and XSX and ported down to switch. Not a game built for the Switch's shitty hardware, up-ported to the high-end home consoles.
If anything, considering how big MH is in Japan, and how nonexistant software sales on PS5 are, the next MH will be multiplatform on all consoles, but will use the Switch 2 as the base console.

Dragon's Dogma got released in multiple platforms across it 10 years but it only serves as proof the IP had what it takes to be a franchise. So I expect easily 10 million copies for DD2.

Devil May Cry fans were starved for so long as well. It's not unexpected that the latest sold much better than anything else in the series. I'm only surprised it reached 30M sales in its lifetime.

Monster Hunter is just another beast entirely. It was already a Monster (pun intended) in the East but MH World was the best thing Capcom could have wished for the franchise to hit the mainstream, boosting its base sales numbers across the board.

SF has always been a big name in gaming. It needs no introduction. I'm glad they finally released a great entry in the series with SF6. The game will sell itself since it is quite groundbreaking in the FGC, serving both casuals and enthusiasts alike.

Resident Evil is just a juggernaut. RE7 + The Remakes brought a new age of RE games upon us. (RE3 remake is debatable. I don't actually like it all and it's quite divisive in the fandom).

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, these numbers are up until the end of march(For some reason), so there are no SF 6 numbers in there.

Edit: Yup, they are as of 31th March, 2023.

Oh, well okay then. They did give another update that SF as a whole has sold 50 million units as of this month, and the last number was 49 million around end of March.

It's not like SFV stopped selling between April and June, but I'm assuming Capcom gives these updates every fiscal quarter, and it seems they sold 200K copies of SFV in the fiscal quarter prior to the one that just ended.

However I doubt it did another 200K in the previous fiscal quarter either considering everyone knew SF6 was coming in June. So maybe over the weekend launch period SF6's sold something around 850K - 950K, perhaps even 1 million?

yurinka

Should be noted that the MMX Collection 1 million sales almost certainly only refers to Volume 1, as Volume 1+2 were at 1.4 million units sold way back in 2019, almost 4 years ago.

If I had to guess, Volume 1+2 should be around 1.8 million, if not REALLY close to 2 million.
Mega Man Legacy Collection is at 1.4M
Mega Man X Legacy Collection is at 1.0M

Volume 2 and MMLC2 are under 1M because the list covers only games that sold 1M or more.

Nautilus

Banned
Mega Man Legacy Collection is at 1.4M
Mega Man X Legacy Collection is at 1.0M

Volume 2 and MMLC2 are under 1M because the list covers only games that sold 1M or more.
Exactly.Just pointing that out because there are people on other forums thinking that the X collection only sold 1 million as a whole, and think that the Battle Network sold 1 million as a single Sku(When actually it also has a Volume 1 and 2, and that 1 million figure is those 2 volume sales combined)

Begleiter

I remember part of the justification for passing DMC to Ninja Theory (of all developers) was to try hit that 5 million mark. Turns out all they had to do was properly fund the actual DMC team.

Nautilus

Banned
Dragon's Dogma sold 7.6 million copies?

It's always being presented like its a cult 'niche' hit - that is not niche numbers!
It sold 7.6 million over 12 years. If you kept up with the numbers over the years, you would see that it got to 7.6 million, outside of the launch window which did 1 to 2 million, through selling 100k to 200k each quarter. And that's only because you could easily buy Dragons Dogma with DEEP discounts. Like 80% or higher.

So while yes, over a decade later Capcom made a nice profit with DD, it took ten years to do that, and Capcom probably didn't earn as much money as the sales number might indicate due to the deep discounts the game had over the years.

What this number might indicate though, is that Dragons Dogma might have developed a huge audience, even if said audience is "asleep"(Due to how old the first game is), that might be leveraged to great effect with Dragons Dogma 2. At least that's what I feel Capcom's plan is, to greenlit a sequel to a game with a single entry so many years later.

Astral Dog

I remember part of the justification for passing DMC to Ninja Theory (of all developers) was to try hit that 5 million mark. Turns out all they had to do was properly fund the actual DMC team.
Digital sales,higher quality graphics helped as well.and of course fans were hungry for years

I think if Capcom had just announced Dragon's Dogma, explaining to the fans Devil May Cry was going to take a rest while the team tries launching a new ip,telling the fanbase to be patient and enjoy this exciting new project they would have accepted it

Instead of trying to reboot it completely,pushing that whole PR circus,demeaning the fanbase and original games

Those were some times

yurinka

Exactly.Just pointing that out because there are people on other forums thinking that the X collection only sold 1 million as a whole, and think that the Battle Network sold 1 million as a single Sku(When actually it also has a Volume 1 and 2, and that 1 million figure is those 2 volume sales combined)
From Capcom's side, the only sales numbers they share are when updating this list or when reaching some great numbers at launch or when achieving some round number.

So for these Mega Man compilations, I assume that Capcom never said about their sales until they appear in this list. So probably any previous number of any game stated by people in forums before shown by Capcom it's only fake stuff probably coming from VGChartz or just a random guess.

Nautilus

Banned
From Capcom's side, the only sales numbers they share are when updating this list or when reaching some great numbers at launch or when achieving some round number.

So for these Mega Man compilations, I assume that Capcom never said about their sales until they appear in this list. So probably any previous number of any game stated by people in forums before shown by Capcom it's only fake stuff probably coming from VGChartz or just a random guess.
Nah, the 1 million from Battle Network came from Capcom themselves, so its true. But Capcom said that the collection as a whole, so the two games(Volume 1 and Volume 2) sold 1 million. What that means is that not necessarily 1 million people bought the collection, but it could be something closer to 500k gamers buying the two volumes that make up the collection.

It was subtle, so people never picked up on that detail, and therefore think that the Battle Network collection was far more successful than the others, which is not necessarily the case.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Shouldn't Resident Evil 6 be 3rd on that RE list as it sold over 10 million 🤔

yurinka

So I guess we know SF6 did at least 800K over its launch weekend? Pretty damn good 👍
Yes, back in Monday they announced to have passed the 1M mark in social media, and that the Street Fighter series reached the 50M mark:

I went to check the original source, the producer in charge of the Mega Man series said this back in November 2019:

Dragon's Dogma sold 7.6 million copies?

It's always being presented like its a cult 'niche' hit - that is not niche numbers!
The series sold 7.4M. When in the Capcom list where they mention each project that sold over 1M copies they have this:
Dragon’s Dogma 1.3M
Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen (PS3, 360) 2.9M
Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen (PS4, XBO) 2.0M

There's 1.2M missing and there, and they don't mention the PC version of Dark Arisen, which maybe they counted it as a separate project. It has 33481 Steam user reviews.

Doing the 'reviews x 25' sales estimate method, the PC version would be at around 837K. So probably the PC version should be very, very close to 1M but still didn't reach it, and around 200K lost when rounding the numbers between the other versions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom