• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom posts their localization philosophy and it's as bad as you expect

CGNoire

I really hate that phrase, "Preserving the vibe" (It's in the "The Importance of Context" section)

I don't want the "vibe" to be preserved. I want the artists vision to be preserved.

I want EXACTLY what he or she wrote, to be preserved. What they intended. What they wanted it to be.

I don't want Capcom's localization team interpretation or modification of what they wrote, to make it more comfy for certain people or cultures.

Even if the artists made the game for a Japanese audience (RGG and Atlus, for example), that shit is interesting. It's interesting to get a peek of a culture that isn't yours. A sense of humor that isn't yours.

Shin Megami Tensei's interpretations of morality and spirituality is very particular to Japan. And again, taking a peek at that, and experiencing that, is special and means something.

People can call me a "doomer" or "triggered" all they want.
This is deeply disgusting. It's threatening art.

Can I remember you guys of when Final Fantasy 16's reference/mention to sexual abuse of a main character was removed by localization, because it was "offensive"?

Doesn't it bother anyone that the feelings the writer intended you to have towards the character (The victim of it), and the villain (the person who did the deed), were completely thrown to the side?

Guess what, YES, it is offensive. Sexual abuse SHOULD offend you.
And that's the point. It's not glorifying sexual abuse. Quite the fucking contrary.

It is there to make you feel things. Even relate to the fucking character. If you are a man or woman that was a victim of sexual abuse, that mention will make you uncomfortable, but it will also make you deeply relate with the character that went through it.

That has value.

Again, fuck the "vibe" being preserved. I want the pure artists vision preserved.
I can't help but think those who keep brushing off Artistic Censorship aside have never created anything of Aritistic Value in there life....and if they have there Fucking Sellouts.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is expected.
The esg philosophy starts slowing down in the west but in Asia it’s still catching on. Will be few years before they realize nobody wants this anymore

killatopak

I'm seeing a huge rise in the "GAF is the opposite of Era and just as bad" type of comments lately. Have the moderators here started banning people for wrong think?
It’s just become easier to blame everything wrong with woke stuff. Which most of the time how it usually pans out. This however makes some contextual stuff be thrown at the wayside for the low hanging fruit. Localization is an intricate process and there had often been errors in it even before all this DEI stuff came about.

Those type of comments accusing gaf only ever comes out on these types of threads. While there has been a lot of piling over the usual woke stuff, it gets a bit monotonous seeing the same comments again and again. I really want some good discussion and debate over why this is bad and why this isn’t instead of get woke go broke stuff.

sfrDEDx.jpg

uWi1kLn.jpg
Ke6XP9c.jpg

KungFucius

King Snowflake

That's not localization. That's changing the game to fit whatever agenda the blue-haired college dropout wants to push in English.

Right because everything is an agenda. People with these persecution complexes are pretty sad.

The reality here is that this is a business. It is not a conspiracy, it is marketing and it is part of the design from the start. No company is going to spend 10s of millions of dollars on an entertainment product without trying to make it appeal to a global market. Everything that targets the mass market is dumbed down and scrubbed for things that might be offensive to some.

You are basically whining that companies are not ignoring financial realities so they can avoid triggering you by having a black woman character in a game or a gay romance or something. Get over it. Life would be so much better for you if you didn't feel like you were being attacked by some Woke Boogeyman from around every corner.

ManaByte

Right because everything is an agenda. People with these persecution complexes are pretty sad.

The reality here is that this is a business. It is not a conspiracy, it is marketing and it is part of the design from the start. No company is going to spend 10s of millions of dollars on an entertainment product without trying to make it appeal to a global market. Everything that targets the mass market is dumbed down and scrubbed for things that might be offensive to some.

You are basically whining that companies are not ignoring financial realities so they can avoid triggering you by having a black woman character in a game or a gay romance or something. Get over it. Life would be so much better for you if you didn't feel like you were being attacked by some Woke Boogeyman from around every corner.
ePk5wkG.png

Fredrik

I really want some good discussion and debate over why this is bad and why this isn’t instead of get woke go broke stuff.
They’re talking about changing the original creation to fit different cultures and political climates. If it were done to not force US gender confusion and LBTQ politics onto every country in the world it would be a good thing. But since it’s a japanese dev changing things to fit the west I see nothing good coming from it. Best case scenario is a rice ball being swapped out to a donut as talked about in a video posted earlier.

bigdad2007

What sucks is in the all digital future there is nothing stopping these maniacs for trying to go back and censor/change/rewrite classic games/books/movies. Once they change it on the only place you have to download it, you are effectively unable to even play the old stuff you like.

It is why the attitude of “oh well it doesn’t affect me why is it that big of a deal” is going to end up ruining basically everything. These people are power hungry and they will not stop until they have complete control of something and completely ruin it.

killatopak

They’re talking about changing the original creation to fit different cultures and political climates. If it were done to not force US gender confusion and LBTQ politics onto every country in the world it would be a good thing. But since it’s a japanese dev changing things to fit the west I see nothing good coming from it. Best case scenario is a rice ball being swapped out to a donut as talked about in a video posted earlier.
Yes, I agree. While I’m not against localization taking some liberties, I draw the line where it completely differs from the original context of the translated works. Some of my favorite stuff were things that were localized to emphasize the context of the scene. There’s one case where they completely remade the script, with the owner’s green light of course, for comedic effect. I highly recommend the English dub of Ghost Stories.

Since 2017 Capcom has had - arguably - one of the most consistent release cadence/quality out of any publisher/developer out there. Everyone's loved their games and how they came out. 7 years later, we find out about the localization guidelines they've been applying to their games the entire time and all of a sudden they're what's wrong with the industry?
That’s like buying a new break pad or tires after the car crashed due to those failing. It’s fine until it isn’t. Prevention is better than cure. Also, where was it stated that it had been this way for the past 7 years and not just recently? I’ve seen so much complaints about localization from other mediums already which featured the same bullet points, I don’t want it to reach gaming and specifically Capcom. Shit, if I had to guess, the recent IGN/Kotaku or whatever article about RE5 writing must have rustled Capcom PR enough to notify whoever’s in charge.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
That’s like buying a new break pad or tires after the car crashed due to those failing. It’s fine until it isn’t. Prevention is better than cure. Also, where was it stated that it had been this way for the past 7 years and not just recently? I’ve seen so much complaints about localization from other mediums already which featured the same bullet points, I don’t want it to reach gaming and specifically Capcom. Shit, if I had to guess, the recent IGN/Kotaku or whatever article about RE5 writing must have rustled Capcom PR enough to notify whoever’s in charge.
Internal processes aren't publicized unless they've been used and successfully applied to your own development pipeline.

Top Bottom