• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Burner Debugging help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darias

So, I just finished building a brand new machine with all the necessary shiny bits... Into it I placed a P4 3.4/800, 1Gb of DDR2 PC2 - 3200 Dual Channel Ram, HDD on a SATA, and a Liteon SOHW-1673S as single master on the single IDE channel.l (80 pin cable)

Everything runs beautifully, but I have noticed that the fastest I have burned at with CD-R's is 18x... the burner should support 48x burning, and indeed in EasyCDCreator I have options for 48x speed, or 48x SMARTBURN speed...

Yet it still reports 17x real burn speed.

How can I debug this? What are the possible problems? May I need to RMA the drive?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
the burner should support 48x burning, and indeed in EasyCDCreator I have

Ding ding.

Anyway, there's a physical limit on cd burning, which is why you'll see stuff like 12-48x or 16-52x or whatever. It'll only burn the fastest on the inside track, since the RPMs only go so high.

Diablos

There's nothing unusual about this. If you can get your CD burned in under 2.5 - 3 minutes you're fine...

Like Evi said, it can't burn at max speed the entire time, throughout the burning process the speed is constantly changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom