• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Check out the incredible band Murder By Death*! (*Not a metal band)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread title's a bit of a bit of a running joke. The name's actually based off a 1976 comedy film by the same name. They initially started off as Little Joe Gould, but changed things up later. But enough about that, let's talk about the music!

Feel free to ignore all the text and just check out the music, I'm just super enthusiastic about this band, y'all.

murderbydeath.jpg

Murder By Death is a fantastic five-piece rock band hailing from Indiana. Covering a lot of space with some gothic and folk influences, they tend to have a distinctly western vibe, conjuring images of gunslingers, hard drinkers, and deals with the devil. Their sound is made distinct by their wonderful celloist, Sarah Chalke, and the guitarwork and vocals of Adam Turla, their music is fantastic, and I'm always a little disappointed by how few people know them, so I thought I'd share my favorite band with people on GAF.

Their sound has evolved a LOT between albums, too, generally going from a somewhat traditional western rock sound to something a lot more inspired, rugged, and salty. In my opinion.

TLDR? Something like 'Johnny Cash meets Radiohead'.

So far, they've got seven studio albums, with some other cover work they've done. Since this thread is inspired by the Devin Townsend one [who I'm a huge fan of], I'll take cue from it, and post two awesome songs from each, with a couple notes about the evolution of their sound.

Like the Exorcist but More Breakdancing (2002)
A Caucus Race
Intergalactic Menopause

This is their first album since becoming MBD, and tends to be a little more 'traditional' rock. Adam's voice is higher and a far cry from what it'll become in later albums, and the transitions tend to be pretty soft. A Caucus Race is a fun rock track that starts slow but builds, while Intergalactic Menopause is a more thoughtful, relaxed tune. TLDR: It's my least favorite album by them for representing their current sound, but it's still very good by any measure in my opinion.

Who Will Survive, and What Will Be Left of Them? (2003)
Desert's On Fire
Pillars of Salt

In their second album, Murder By Death started carving out their identity. Adam let his accent into his singing more, and the storytelling in each song became more gothic and dark. The album tells a story of the Devil waging war on a Mexican village due to a deal gone bad. In Desert's On Fire, we have a hard-rockin' track about the Devil making threats. Pillars of Salt is a somber, morbid song about the broken will of the survivors and them questioning their survival. TLDR: Their first themed album and a great look at the roots of their current sound.

In Bocca Al Lupo (2006)
Brother
Shiola

MBD's third album keeps along the path that their last one set them on. Acoustic guitar, impressive fiddle-like cello play, and some serious Johnny Cash inspiration bleed through into one of my favorites. Brother is a quick, peppy tune about the trials of a troublesome family member, while Shiola is a heartbreaking track that some might confuse by being by the Man In Black himself, about a man mourning his dead wife and child. TLDR: Western as fuck, jammin' as fuck. We're getting into the gold territory now.

Red of Tooth and Claw (2008)
Rum Brave
Steal Away

If the second album added the brimstone, this one adds the salt. Arguably MBD's hardest album, it starts bringing in high-energy songs that tend to be about terrible people who thrive on conflict. It's incredible. Rum Brave is about a hard-ass killer who roams the land, while Steal Away is about two lovers whose relationship is abhorred by the woman's parents. TLDR: If you only listen to one song in this whole thread, make it Rum Brave.

Good Morning, Magpie (2010)
King of the Gutters, Prince of the Dogs
Good Morning, Magpie

According to other members of the band, Adam Turla basically wrote this album while living in the mountains and surviving off the wild for three months. Pretty cool. Generally softer than their previous works, it's heavy on folksy sounds, the first push they really made outside of songs like Shiola into seriously 'country' territory. King of the Gutters, Prince of the Dogs is a pleasant track about an old wanderer on hard times, and Good Morning, Magpie is a tearjerker about not wanting to be a burden to someone's freedom. TLDR: Folk and country themes added to their western rock sound.

Bitter Drink, Bitter Moon (2012)
I Came Around
Ghost Fields

Their second-newest album represents what I think is a flawless fusion of what made their previous ones great; western rock, folk, and country themes have great synergy here. I Came Around is a raucous tune about a man going to the funeral of a former rival he thought he hated, while Ghost Fields is a folksier song about a village whose people and history has become lost to time. TLDR: A great combination of what made previous albums shine, and a good look at their current sound.

Big Dark Love (2015)
Big Dark Love
Send Me Home

Murder By Death's newest album is about love in all its forms; obsessive and unhealthy, protective and fatherly, wounded and bleeding. With a stellar mix of rock and folk songs, it's also the first album to include the band's fifth member, David Fountain, who plays a variety of instruments for them such as piano, percussion, mandolin, and banjo. Big Dark Love is a noir-feeling track about a stalker who just can't leave the object of his affection alone, while Send Me Home is a haunting, but beautiful story about an old and broken man who's just ready to die so he won't be a burden anymore. TLDR: An exploration of love, both bright and dark.

--

Das it, mang. If you like what you see here, please check them out and support them, and I'd love to hear from other MBD fans or those who checked out some of the tracks in this thread! I'll also answer any questions I can about them.

One of my god Damn favorite bands.
Been listening to them when they were known as Joe gould.

I used to Rollerblade and I was incredibly stoked when this skate video used a murder by death song in the opening sequence.
https://youtu.be/oQzrqceSwdY

And this "live" session of no oath no spell is just Damn amazing. https://youtu.be/Otjw6_coNko

Oh man, yeah. I actually love that version of No Oath No Spell a lot more than the album one. I think the whole band is great but I gotta be honest, Adam and Sarah kind of carry them.

I love this version even more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q2clJoVOss

Polk

It's one of the bands I've discovered thanks to Neogaf. Even kickstarted their Big Dark Love album.

dinoroar

Banned
I used to listen to this band so much. Had a hoody of theirs that had Sherlock Holmes on the back. I didn't really like said hoody all that much, but I loved the band so kept wearing it.

daegan

I was way into them during the first two albums; saw them open for Thursday and they blew me away. Should probably check out what they've been up to since; thanks for the reminder, OP.

iamcenok

Jealooouusss. I missed their show when they came by to Orlando. I was so sad. I learned about the show while it was going on. They don't tour much around here too. 😔

Mathieran

Banned
These guys have been my favorite band for years. I try to spread the gospel of MBD every chance I get. They also put on a hell of a show.

Bitter Drink, Bitter Moon is probably my favorite album

Myriadis

Have to check them out some more. Discovered them about 7 or so years ago but didn't listen to any other song. The one that I know is pretty ace tho and starts with "By the light of the moon/ I'm coming home"
On mobile and limited connection so I'm not listening to the YouTube videos so I don't know if it's one of these mentioned by the op but I like it a lot

Have to check them out some more. Discovered them about 7 or so years ago but didn't listen to any other song. The one that I know is pretty ace tho and starts with "By the light of the moon/ I'm coming home"
On mobile and limited connection so I'm not listening to the YouTube videos so I don't know if it's one of these mentioned by the op but I like it a lot

That would be "I'm Coming Home". Fantastic song. Not on my list, but then, it was hard to pick considering how good all of their songs are.

I love In Bocca Al Lupo but never really cared for much else. Handful of songs off Who Will Survive and Red of Tooth and Claw are good. Actually, Spring Break 1899 is probably their best song IMO.

I couldn't get into Magpie at all and fell off.

Ultima_5

I remmeber being into that album with the elephant noses and then read an interview with the main dude and turned me off of the band

I remmeber being into that album with the elephant noses and then read an interview with the main dude and turned me off of the band

Huh, odd. I wonder which interview, 'cause I've always seen Adam as incredibly likable and humble, if a little weird.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Love this band! Been listening to them since Who Will Survive was released.

Seen em live about a dozen times. Have all their vinyl signed by the band.

Amazingly nice people, genuinely love their fans, great live show, great albums.

Can't suggest this band enough!

Love this band! Been listening to them since Who Will Survive was released.

Seen em live about a dozen times. Have all their vinyl signed by the band.

Amazingly nice people, genuinely love their fans, great live show, great albums.

Can't suggest this band enough!

Man a dozen times? I've only gotten to see them twice. I wish they came through where I live more, I'm jealous! They put on a wild show.

I've been listening to them for about 5 years but only got to see them twice. Should really go out to more shows since I have friends who see them every time they play NYC. They're really great live.

I've been listening to them for about 5 years but only got to see them twice. Should really go out to more shows since I have friends who see them every time they play NYC. They're really great live.

About the same as me. Started listening to them around 2010 and got really into them, didn't get many chances to see them yet though.

I love the idea of this thread. Thought of making one like it myself but didn't feel like "self-promoting" the fact that I'm responsible for the amazing Moonage Daydream (David Bowie) cover.

https://youtu.be/Lqn9Q22HgzY

Seeing this performed live... holy shit.

Yes, one of my absolute favorite bands.

P.S.
That's an old band pic, OP. Doesn't include David Fountain (their current misc player).

This thread is criminally ignored.

So I'm bumping it with a video that will entrance both newcomers and old fans alike.

The person filming knew exactly where/what/who to film once they heard the song. Prepare to be hypnotized by the grace and elegance with a machine like twitch of Sarah playing cello during a performance of That Crown Don't Make You a Prince: (ignore the subpar sound and take in the cello/celloist)

https://youtu.be/LteSOluNFmg

...that crescendo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom