• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chevy Volt . . . Savior of US Car Industry? Pipedream?

Status
Not open for further replies.
chevy-volt-concept-header.jpg

2173006566_1233640fe8.jpg

Looks cool. 40 miles on a charge (enough to cover most commutes). Gas engine only used to charge batteries. Top speed of 120MPH(!).

Supposedly coming out in 2010. Will they meet the desired specs? Will it be way too expensive?

Official FAQ
Q: What is the driving range of the Chevy Volt?
A: The car is being designed to drive up to 40 miles on pure electricity stored in the battery from overnight home charging. After that the gas engine will kick in and allow the car to be driven up to 640 miles on a full tank of gas.

Q: How many miles per gallon will the Chevy Volt get?
A: A bit of a trick question. For the first 40 miles it will get infinite mpg, because no gas will be burned. When the generator starts, the car will get an equivalent of 50 mpg thereafter. One can calculate the average mpg per for any length drive starting with a full battery: Total MPG = 50xM/(M-40)

Q: When will the car be available?
A: As per GM Vice-Chairman Bob Lutz the plan is to have the car available for mass purchase in late 2010 (probably as a 2011 model year). He is 90% confident it will be built.

Q: What type of batteries will the Chevy Volt use?
A: The car is being designed around an advanced battery pack which uses lithium-ion chemistry. This chemistry appears in cell phones and laptops. For automotive use the packs and cells will be more powerful and safe.

Q: Is it a four or five-seater?
A: Four

Q: How much will the car cost?
A: Goal is to be less than $30,000
[Spec: Recent stories suggest it will be close to $40K]

Model: Chevrolet Volt Concept
Body style / driveline: 4-5-passenger sedan, unitized frame, electric propulsion, front wheel drive
Construction: body-frame-integral structure with composite exterior panels and roof
EPA vehicle class compact car (four doors with rear liftgate)

Drive system
Description: electrically driven system with onboard range extender, plug-in recharge capability

Type: lithium-ion
Energy: 16 kWh (minimum)

Peak power: 130 to 140 kW
Voltage: 320 to 350

100% Recharge 110-volt outlet: 6 to 6.5 hours

Fuel: gas or E85

Type: plug-in
Voltage / amp: 110 / 15
Horsepower (hp / kW): 160 / 120
Torque (lb-ft / Nm):236 / 320

Electric mode range: 40 miles – full electric vehicle (EV) range

Estimated fuel economy @ constant state of charge:
50 mpg during charge sustaining operation
@ 40 miles or less: not applicable – no fuel used
@ 60 miles: 150 mpg
@ 80 miles: 100 mpg

0 to 60 mph: 8 to 8.5 seconds
Top speed (mph) 120 (limited duration)

I'm interested. But I'm skeptical on the 50mpg claims if just using gas.

http://www.chevy-volt.net/
http://www.gm-volt.com/

KRS7

What is its top speed running just on gas? It says it can get to 120 mph for a short duration, but it better be able to average at least 80 mph for a sustained period.

I don't like the clear panels.

Johnas

That's a great-looking car, but it looks too good to make it into widespread production.

I'd love to see it though.

KRS7 said:
What is its top speed running just on gas? It says it can get to 120 mph for a short duration, but it better be able to average at least 80 mph for a sustained period.
Yeah . . . I love it as the specs are. But I'm a bit skeptical that they'll really meet them.
I'll settle for sustained 70MPH.

KRS7

SnakeXs said:
What's the cost to recharge it, though?

Batteries are listed at 16kwh. Let's assume 75% efficiency on the conversion (probably more than that). At the national average rate of about 9 cents per kwh then a complete charge is about $1.92 of electricity. For the same 40 miles with gasoline, at 50 mpg, it will cost $2.61 at the current national average of $3.266 per gallon.

Phoenix

Hate the look, but I really want my next vehicle to be a plug in hybrid vehicle. If they can produce it with reasonable specs and not 'option' me to death, I'm in for 1 guaranteed.

Piper Az

Q: What is the driving range of the Chevy Volt?
A: The car is being designed to drive up to 40 miles on pure electricity stored in the battery from overnight home charging. After that the gas engine will kick in and allow the car to be driven up to 640 miles on a full tank of gas.

Utter failure. This car may save you on gas, but it's not going to do anything for the environment. It's likely that this car will mediate more pollution because the coal plants will have to burn more to generate electricity - if more people drive "charge&drive" cars.

The best way to be oil-independent and help the environment? Check out the Honda FCX - 100% fuel cell car. Hydrogen powered, no gas, no electricity, water emission.

FightyF

Banned
rhfb said:
what happens when the battery explodes and catches on fire like laptops :(

Cars like the Tesla Roadster have safeguards against this, and coolant systems to help keep the battery cool.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Piper Az said:
The best way to be oil-independent and help the environment? Check out the Honda FCX - 100% fuel cell car. Hydrogen powered, no gas, no electricity, water emission.

Yeah where do you plan on getting the hydrogen.

Here's a hint, it's not green house free.

Piper Az said:
Utter failure. This car may save you on gas, but it's not going to do anything for the environment. It's likely that this car will mediate more pollution because the coal plants will have to burn more to generate electricity - if more people drive "charge&drive" cars.

:lol

Uh . . . so where do you think the hydrogen comes from? Yeah, they can get some from Natural gas but if everyone did that, we'd be out of Natural gas real quick.

And no, it is not utter failure. People have looked into these matters and with the improved efficiency of these cars, they actually pollute less when the coal-generated electricity is taken into account.

KRS7

Piper Az said:

Hydrogen is still not close to being feasible. Hydrogen filling stations are practically non-existent. Not to mention naturally occurring hydrogen almost immediately escapes earths atmosphere. So how industrial hydrogen is produced? Most commonly it is from natural gas, with the energy to convert it coming from fossil fuels. Hydrogen for the most part functions as an energy medium not an energy source. So there goes that argument.

Piper Az

speculawyer said:
:lol

Uh . . . so where do you think the hydrogen comes from? Yeah, they can get some from Natural gas but if everyone did that, we'd be out of Natural gas real quick.

And no, it is not utter failure. People have looked into these matters and with the improved efficiency of these cars, they actually pollute less when the coal-generated electricity is taken into account.

Some may argue the other way.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/environment/2008-02-25-plug-in-hybrids-pollution_N.htm

speculawyer said:

I actually was going to try and post something like this.

speculawyer's link said:
EVs have the unique advantage of using electricity generated from a variety of fuels and renewable resources.

Besides the whole "more efficient" bit, this is very important. Electric power is modular in a way in that you can get your electric power from any number of sources.

EVs are definitely a great way to go.

Piper Az said:

your link said:
About 49% of U.S. electricity is generated using coal

Yes, this is true. 51% however can come from other sources. You're not going to find some kind of instant out solution here...but at the very least we have 1/2 of our energy not coming from coal.

edit: We do need to change the way in which we burn coal (if we do continue to burn it). However, that is a little ways off at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom