• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China First: Trump Tells Commerce Dept. to Bring Back ZTE after Sanction Violations

Wulfric

More at WaPo: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...inese-phone-maker-zte-get-back-into-business/

The White House and senior Chinese officials are discussing a targeted economic deal that would relax severe penalties on ZTE, a major Chinese telecom company, in exchange for unspecified demands from President Trump, two people briefed on the discussions said Sunday.

The talks are fluid, and President Trump has shown a willingness to veer between extremes in how he interacts with Beijing. But Trump said Sunday on Twitter that he wanted federal regulators to take the unusual step of relaxing penalties on ZTE, even though the Chinese company has been accused of illicitly shipping goods to North Korea and Iran.

What Trump didn’t reveal publicly is how much the company has become a bargaining chip as the White House tries to extract trade-related concessions from China while pushing for cooperation on sanctions against Iran and North Korea, the people said.

Never in a million years would I ever expect to see Trump care about "Chinese jobs". Even the MAGAers are raising an eyebrow, and of course this news is nowhere to be found on t_d.

Last edited:
Make China Great Again, what a piece of shit president we have. I don’t give a fuck about Chinese jobs you fucking traitor.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Wait, isn't the reason ZTE is fucked in the first place because they were violating Iran sanctions? Wtf, why does he want to help them?

Weird. One wonders how the crew at the White House feel about reading this first thing in the morning.

faisal233

MAGA

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/05/is-china-straight-up-bribing-donald-trump-zte
according to multiple news outlets, the president’s total about-face on China came just 72 hours after the developer of a theme park outside Jakarta, known as MNC Lido City, with whom the Trump Organization has an agreement to license its name, signed a deal to receive $500 million in Chinese government loans, in addition to another $500 million from government banks. According to Agence France-Presse, the Trump Organization will rake in almost $3.7 million in licensing and consulting payments from Lido, along with another project in Bali. The company will also earn management fees, and be “eligible for additional unspecified incentives.” (Upon entering the White House, Trump turned over day-to-day management of the family business to his sons Donny Jr. and Eric, but chose not to divest himself financially from the company.)

Sàmban

Banned
I’d like to hear from our trump supporters on this forum how they feel about this. Is Trump still draining the swamp?

WaterAstro

I heard about this from Colbert lol.

Trump complained about China stealing jobs. Now he's worried about China getting jobs lol! Dude is nuts.

womfalcs3

Banned
I loathe Trump, but this may have indirect benefits to US workers. I'd have to look deeper into it to make judgment.

Dunki

Ok According to German news sources Trump got exactly what he wanted. He pulled back because China did cancel the taxes for farming products which caused famers in America huge problems.. He used the ZTE to poltical reasons and succeeded. So why is this bad? At least according to Germany news sources.

faisal233

I loathe Trump, but this may have indirect benefits to US workers. I'd have to look deeper into it to make judgment.
You know what would benefit US workers? Not starting trade wars.

You should be picking up on this pattern by now. Trump family asks for favorable loans from foreign govt., they refuse, Trump unleashes US foreign policy on them.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/201...atar-because-it-wouldnt-lend-his-family-money
The Intercept reports that in April 2017, Jared’s father, Charles Kushner, met with Qatari Finance Minister Ali Sharif Al Emadi in hopes of securing an investment in 666 Fifth Avenue, the Midtown tower that has become a real-estate albatross around the family’s neck. The 30-minute meeting was held at a suite at the St. Regis in New York, and was followed up by another rendezvous at the cursed property itself, though Al Emadi was not in attendance at the latter. Ultimately, like the numerous other parties from whom the Kushners attempted to extract money for the building, the Qataris decided to pass. And then, totally coincidentally, this happened:

The failure to broker the deal would be followed only a month later by a Middle Eastern diplomatic row in which Jared Kushner provided critical support to Qatar’s neighbors. Led by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, a group of Middle Eastern countries, with Kushner’s backing, led a diplomatic assault that culminated in a blockade of Qatar. Kushner, according to reports at the time, subsequently undermined efforts by Secretary of State Rex Tillerson to bring an end to the standoff.
The fallout has reshaped geopolitical alliances in the region, splitting the Gulf Cooperation Council and pushing Qatar, home to the Middle East’s largest U.S. military base, closer to Turkey and Iran.

Since the presidency, the Trump business (which Trumps still owns), has solicited & received billions in foreign loans. Loans that these countries would haven ever considered granting previously. Approve loan & get favorable US policy, disapprove & get shit on.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Ok According to German news sources Trump got exactly what he wanted. He pulled back because China did cancel the taxes for farming products which caused famers in America huge problems.. He used the ZTE to poltical reasons and succeeded. So why is this bad? At least according to Germany news sources.

Come one bro! You're better than this. This is a clear about-face.

faisal233

LOLWUT

1. ZTE wasn't used for "political" reasons. ZTE sanctions were for violation US embargoes on Iran & North Korea. They were imposed before this trade war BS. ZTE phones are also banned from the pentagon & DOD installations because of spying concerns.
2. China didn't cancel anything, they said that they would consider the farming tariffs & Trump has already ordered commerce to pull the penalties. I would say Trump is an idiot who is getting played, but its obvious that he is getting payed.

Top Bottom