• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ClimbingGAF |OT|

SomTervo

A pal, my gf and I are going bouldering tomorrow night.

Absolutely love it. For my birthday I got a pair of shoes. Makes a big difference on the wall.

ElyrionX

A pal, my gf and I are going bouldering tomorrow night.

Absolutely love it. For my birthday I got a pair of shoes. Makes a big difference on the wall.

What were your old pairs and what are your new ones? What kind of difference did you notice?

I am going climbing tomorrow night as well. Did a full day indoor session on Saturday for the first time (only did 2-3 hours sessions since I started climbing a few months ago) and I felt the good sort of ache yesterday. Today, I woke up with a sore and stiff left shoulder, unlike anything I ever experienced before. It wasn't exactly painful. It got better through the day though. I think I can climb tomorrow and am hoping to wake up without any shoulder issues.

SomTervo

What were your old pairs and what are your new ones? What kind of difference did you notice?

I am going climbing tomorrow night as well. Did a full day indoor session on Saturday for the first time (only did 2-3 hours sessions since I started climbing a few months ago) and I felt the good sort of ache yesterday. Today, I woke up with a sore and stiff left shoulder, unlike anything I ever experienced before. It wasn't exactly painful. It got better through the day though. I think I can climb tomorrow and am hoping to wake up without any shoulder issues.

I was wearing the horrible gym's-own ones :( sweaty and the rubber all worn away.

My new ones (first pair, as I should have mentioned) are Anasazi Stealth C4 5.10s. The difference was pretty subtle but basically I can 'forget' about my feet more. I'm not wrestling with the wall as much whenever I need a foot lock.

I'm really not seriously into climbing, it's more low key like a hobby + fitness. I only boulder.

Been lucky with the strains/pains, but I don't push myself too much so that's probably why. Really need to get a couple of lessons so I can start going for bigger, more ambitious problems.

I've been rock climbing for a little over 10 years. I started in the gym. A few months later I mentored under a "old school" tradster, from whom I learned all about trad climbing and multipitch climbing.

I now work in the industry.

Sport climbing and trad climbing are my preferred types of rock climbing. Bouldering does not interest me - I like to go higher than a few metres off of the ground.

Every year I go on several rock climbing road trips.

For me it's not about the height or the sights - it's about the problems and about pushing yourself. I like being able to try some interesting problems within a 10 minute walk of my home and be able to quickly get on/off the wall without any hassle.

ElyrionX

So I started climbing a bit harder recently. Having longer sessions at the gym and going from once a week to twice a week of climbing now and I've been seeing some pretty dramatic improvements in my overall ability. I have moved up one grade (6a-6b) and am projecting stuff in the 6b-6c range now.

My muscles are also getting a bit more balanced now, especially my forearms, and I no longer leave the gym with just my forearms being pumped and that being the limiting factor to how long I can climb. I now feel aches (the good kind) in all parts of my body now.

Overall, it's a great feeling.

Kyne

hey guys, pretty new to this whole thing and I'll prove it with a newbie question..

should you be wearing socks with climbing shoes?

ElyrionX

hey guys, pretty new to this whole thing and I'll prove it with a newbie question..

I do that.

Pros generally don't.

There are arguments for and against. For me, I didn't want my shoes and feet to smell bad and I didn't think the benefit of increased sensitivity outweighed that. It's really up to you.

y2dvd

Do it if you're borrowing the shoes as it's unsanitary. If you have your own shoes, I woudnt recommend wearing socks. Plus different thickness socks will change the dynamics of your footing every time.

MrSerrels

Oh man holy shit a climbing thread!

I tried to start one a few years back but it disappeared.

I'm super into climbing, started about 6 years ago. Became super obsessed. Climbing really changed my life in a lot of positive ways. I lost weight, trained pretty hard, set myself goals, etc.

I pretty much exclusively boulder. Done a bunch of outdoor V8s. Highest grade I've climbed is a soft V9 that took me fucking ages to do .

Right now I'm a bit heavier, and I'm not quite climbing as hard as I used to (I'm 36) but I still climb at least twice a week.

I also have a pretty sick home set up!

mark.jpg

That home wall has an adjustable angle! It was built by a Physics professor who sold it to me for $300 after he had to move back home short notice to Europe!

(The holds alone are worth more than that)

Climbing is the shit. Pretty much movement and meditation. I am definitely subbing to this!

Top Bottom