• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Desperate Puerto Ricans are drinking water from a hazardous-waste site

Tovarisc

Edit: Maddow segment relating to this indirectly, watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCiyjlq3ncE
Thanks Shadybiz for link
-----------------------------
But there is something about this water Rodriguez didn't know: It was being pumped to him by water authorities from a federally designated hazardous-waste site, CNN learned after reviewing Superfund documents and interviewing federal and local officials.

Rodriguez, 66, is so desperate for water that this news didn't startle him.

"I don't have a choice," he said. "This is the only option I have."

More than three weeks after Hurricane Maria ravaged this island, more than 35% of the island's residents -- American citizens -- remain without safe drinking water.

It's clear some residents are turning to potentially risky sources to get by.

Friday afternoon, CNN watched workers from the Puerto Rican water utility, Autoridad de Acueductos y Alcantarillados, or AAA, distribute water from a well at the Dorado Groundwater Contamination Site, which was listed in 2016 as part of the federal Superfund program for hazardous waste cleanup.
In announcing the addition of the Dorado site to the Superfund program, the US Environmental Protection Agency says the area was polluted with industrial chemicals, including tetrachloroethylene and trichloroethylene, which "can have serious health impacts including damage to the liver and increasing the risk of cancer," according to the EPA.
EPA 'gathering more information'

It's unclear whether there are public health risks from this particular well, however.
The EPA said it plans to do testing in the area over the weekend.

"The EPA is gathering more information about the quality of water from the wells associated with our Dorado groundwater contamination site, as well as other Superfund sites in Puerto Rico," the agency said in a statement issued to CNN on Friday. "While some of these wells are sometimes used to provide drinking water, the EPA is concerned that people could be drinking water that may be contaminated, depending on the well. We are mindful of the paramount job of protecting people's health, balanced with people's basic need for water."

Regional EPA spokesman Elias Rodriguez confirmed the location is part of a Superfund site.

Autoridad de Acueductos y Alcantarillados, the water authority, was unaware that this well site was part of the Superfund program until CNN provided maps showing that this was the case, according to Luis Melendez, sub-director for environmental compliance at the utility.
'I've never seen this before'

Martyn Smith, a professor of toxicology at the University of California, Berkeley, told CNN the levels of PCE and chloroform would be essentially safe for human consumption. "I wouldn't have any problem in drinking this water if these were the only chemicals in it," he said. The problem with Superfund sites, he said, is that you don't know what else is present.

"I've never seen this before," he said, referring to the idea a Superfund site would be used as a source of public drinking water. Boiling the water, he said, would reduce possible contamination. And it's somewhat understandable, Smith added, that people in Puerto Rico would turn to possibly questionable drinking water sources given the scope of the crisis.

Still, a Superfund site -- a location with known health risks -- is just about the last place a person would want to turn to find drinking water, even in a crisis, said Erik Olson, head of the health program at the Natural Resources Defense Council, an environmental advocacy group.

"There are thousands of chemicals out there that could be in a Superfund site and only a relative handful are covered by standards," he said. "What I would be worried about is stuff that isn't showing up on EPA's drinking water standards. It just sounds really risky to me to be serving water out of a Superfund well."
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/13/us/puerto-rico-superfund-water/index.html

entremet

Again, when you consistently denigrate government institutions as your main platform, as the GOP has done--government is evil. it's wasteful. it's incompetent--you prove it is true when you're power.

shem935

Banned
The ignoring of Puerto Rico is a stain on the United States and proves we treat them little better than a colony.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I am actually wondering if this will spur a push for both PR and the Virgin Islands to be given statehood

Shadybiz

I am actually wondering if this will spur a push for both PR and the Virgin Islands to be given statehood

The push, I believe, is there. The GOP will NEVER let that pass, though. It would mean a sapphire blue state, pretty much for freakin' ever, especially because of the response we have seen with Maria.

Afrodium

Banned
The ignoring of Puerto Rico is a stain on the United States and proves we treat them little better than a colony.

100%. I don't understand why the current state of Puerto Rico isn't all over the news. It's absolutely disgusting that this is happening to US citizens and it seems that almost everybody is easily able to ignore it. Even Puerto Rico threads here on NeoGAF, where political/Trump related threads have no trouble reaching at least a few pages, tend to be largely ignored.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I really think the reason the Right is so focused on ignoring Puerto Rico is that they know, as climate change continues, that these kinds of disasters are only going to be more common. They won't offer any relief to a place devastated by a hurricane because they don't want to set a precedent where the rich have to do anything to help people in areas devastated by climate disasters. The message going forward is sorry, nothing can be done, it's just bad luck and weather.

100%. I don't understand why the current state of Puerto Rico isn't all over the news. It's absolutely disgusting that this is happening to US citizens and it seems that almost everybody is easily able to ignore it. Even Puerto Rico threads here on NeoGAF, where political/Trump related threads have no trouble reaching at least a few pages, tend to be largely ignored.

Maybe people don't realize The US is responsible for Puerto Rico and think of it largely as a vacation destination?

Tovarisc

Maybe people don't realize The US is responsible for Puerto Rico and think of it largely as a vacation destination?

NeoGAF is for large part Americans so lack of traction on PR threads is somewhat surprising, while Hollywood Grope stories blow up huge atm. I would imagine that most of Americans posting on GAF knows that Puerto Rico is part of US and that they are Americans too.

geomon

1390822562360.gif

Chumly

Where the fuck are bottles of water that FEMA should be distributing.

NBC had on the Friday night news that FEMA has 1/4 of the workers in Puerto Rico compared to Harvey and Texas. Less than a third of the workers compared to Irma and Florida. Maria was far worse than either of those storms and trumps FEMA is doing nothing

Am sad for these people. It's not their fault nature hit then so hard. Not is it their fault their infrastructuraly not as advanced as NYC. However as americans they deserve help. The untied states. Emphasis on united. Sadly it's not so. The question is, what will untie the untied states?

For people who want to help but can't do much other than money, there are a few GoFundMe campaigns running that promise to take water filters to the island. YMMV of course on whether they are legit or scammers but you'd have to be a total dickhead to scam using an event like this
https://www.gofundme.com/639ud-water-filters-for-puerto-rico
https://www.gofundme.com/United-Puerto-Rico

My local church has also been raising money for the straw filters and sending a few boxes of them to the catholic church contact there. The lifestraw is an absolutely amazing technological device.

Mercy Corps is also a great charity that is very efficient and on the ground, at least thats been my experience with donations and volunteer work with them
https://www.mercycorps.org/donate/urgent-send-relief-devastated-puerto-rico

Mercy Corps is tax deductible, I do not believe the gofundme's are.

Kusagari

NeoGAF is for large part Americans so lack of traction on PR threads is somewhat surprising, while Hollywood Grope stories blow up huge atm. I would imagine that most of Americans posting on GAF knows that Puerto Rico is part of US and that they are Americans too.

GAF is probably better informed than your average American, but polls show only half the country, if that, know they’re citizens.

Tovarisc

GAF is probably better informed than your average American, but polls show only half the country, if that, know they’re citizens.

Thats... bad. I can understand that someone can't place every state to map correctly, but something like knowing that Puerto Ricans are also Americans sounds quite important basic knowledge.

sturmdogg

US can't even take care of it's own citizens after a major natural disaster. Kind of makes you wonder how it will treat it's allies after a war with China or Russia.

Top Bottom