• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: Kuwait Airways scraps London-New York flight after dispute over Israeli passenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit, you can't enter like 90% of the countries in the Middle East if you got a Israeli passport. Some won't let you in if you basically ever formally traveled to Isreal before.
Yes this is true. You can only go through Jordan and they stamp a slip of paper so you can re-enter GCC countries and not be banned for life.

Israeli passports are totally banned here. Israel as a country doesn't even show up on globes or atlases around here.

You do realize a lot of innocent Kuwaitis died during that conflict right ? You shouldn't wish ill on innocent people who had nothing to do with this because of the actions of our stupid government.

Well, a lot more have died in the conflights that came after it. I never said I approved the initial attack though...

Anion

I read that the UAE became increasingly aggressive after Mossad agents had used British and other nations passports to conduct assassinations in hotels in Dubai. I always assumed they were pretty aggressive on those fronts anyways. Didn't realize that carried onto their services.

nib95

Banned
Why did they deny him flight? At least offer a bloody reason. I hate that countries can just reject people without offering a reason.

Why did they deny him flight? At least offer a bloody reason. I hate that countries can just reject people without offering a reason.
I think they said this.

Kuwaiti law says dealings with isreali citizens and businesses are illegal. They do not have an option when booking a flight to input an Israeli passport.

Therefore, the passenger holding the isreali passport could not book a flight.

Kuwait airlines chose the law of the country they operate in over accommodating the passenger.

At least that is what I've gathered.

boiled goose

good with gravy
And yet US airlines kick Muslim passengers off airplanes all the time. And after they've wasted time and money getting on the flight, too.

It's something that needs to improve but let's not make false equivalences.

This was on the basis of passport alone. Profiling is generally bad, but this is as discriminatory as it gets...

That said.....

This could be seen as businesses and governments doing boycotts, which I'm ok with.

Power structure in Israel is diffuse. Boycotts like this would certainly pressure the government...

Well, a lot more have died in the conflights that came after it. I never said I approved the initial attack though...

They're all unfortunate events that no one wishes upon their enemy. But that doesn't mean wishing that Saddam still got hold of Kuwait is okay. Under his rule, many Kuwaiti were tortured, killed and suffered a lot. You have no idea what Kuwaitis went through, I am not saying Saddam's invasion was the worst thing ever in the history of humanity, But it's still terrible just because one terrible decision made by an airline which was most likely influenced by a simple minded government official, doesn't mean wishing that terrible era should continue.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Of course there are people defending this bullshit. OF COURSE.

GAF has a lot of people who side with the view that Israel doesn't have a right to exist.

Not surprised in the slightest there'd be people who'd defend something like this.

No matter what side you stand on exactly, if you pretend like one shouldn't exist you will never have a peaceful resolution to the issues.

GAF has a lot of people who side with the view that Israel doesn't have a right to exist.

Not surprised in the slightest there'd be people who'd defend something like this.

No matter what side you stand on exactly, if you pretend like one shouldn't exist you will never have a peaceful resolution to the issues.

I am an Arab and I think Israel does have the right to exist and I am all in for any peaceful solution for this conflict.

Al-ibn Kermit

Can you really blame one airline for this? They didn't make the law banning Israeli travelers.

Oh for fuck's sake.

Also any immigration restrictions against Iranian citizens or visitors to Iran are purely done out of political/religious spite against Iran by US, right?

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/08/house-visa-waiver-program-bill-restrictions

A guy travels to Saudi Arabia and brings his Pakistani born spouse with him to US and carry out a mass shooting. Congress then votes to restrict not Saudis or Pakistanis, but Iranians and anyone who travels to Iran. Branding Iran as a state sponsor of terrorism. Now every Iranian-Europeans with a dual nationality and European tourists and business person who travel to Iran have to obtain a visa to enter US.

Now tell me that this move is anything other than political spite against Iran. Trying to undermine Iranian economy and tourism industry which is booming after the nuclear agreement.

What gives rights to US to brand Iran as a terrorist state but not gives rights to Middle Eastern nations to brand Israel the same?

Says right there "without a visa". It's a bit different than not allowing a citizen from another country in at all with no exceptions. Even more different when it's a flight going from 2 flights where entry IS allowed.

Apath

Do people really think that this is in response to Israel's actions and policies, as opposed to the fact that it is by and large a Jewish country?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Wow. Wasn't aware of this. I thought the flight ban was due to the Palestinian situation.

Palestinians are the victims of both sides in this conflict. Their situation is little more than "great" propaganda for some players in this game.

Syriel

While not very common right now, Mossad agents have a long history of killing/kidnapping people on foreign countries so I don't blame them for imposing restrictions on anyone that has been in Israel.

Secret agents of pretty much ALL countries have "a long history of killing/kidnapping people on foreign countries." Let's not pretend that this is exclusively an Israeli thing.

This is kinda weird really, I get the discrimination aspect but arnt internationals already under strict laws enforced because of sanctions?
You can go to jail for joking that your 1000 bucks spending money was given to you by a Iranian.

That is laughable. I have dinner on a regular basis with an Iranian I used to work with. We've exchanged gifts. The guys in black SUVs and helicopters haven't broken down my door.

There's reality and then there's paranoia. America doesn't ban Iranians wholesale.

Now every Iranian-Europeans with a dual nationality and European tourists and business person who travel to Iran have to obtain a visa to enter US.

You do know that every American who wants to visit Iran has to obtain a visa to enter, right?

Palestinians are the victims of both sides in this conflict. Their situation is little more than "great" propaganda for some players in this game.

Yeah. Most of the surrounding nations were happy to use the situation of the Palestinian refugees in 1948 as a pretext to declare war on Israel (over and over and over and over), but most of them were... less interested in accepting or helping the Palestinians.

Victarion

Says right there "without a visa". It's a bit different than not allowing a citizen from another country in at all with no exceptions. Even more different when it's a flight going from 2 flights where entry IS allowed.

Sure, but directly comparing the two wasn't my point. Just pointing out the hypocrisy of that Transportation Secretary guy.

You do know that every American who wants to visit Iran has to obtain a visa to enter, right?

Yes, and I'm not talking about random Iranian citizens. This affects every Iranian-Americans, Iranians who hold a European citizenship or practically anyone from anywhere in the world who decides to travel to Iran. You do realize what this means for tourism and business travels to Iran right? How is this anything other than discrimination based on political nonsense? Iranians are being punished for the actions of terrorists from other countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom