• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Collar x Malice |OT| Who put this collar on me?

Saphirax

Well, they were basically saying, 'well, you fucked up'. They want to get you out of there so you can move on to a better end. That tends to be a habit with bad ends in Otome, IMO.

Oh, the bad endings are definitely better than in some other games. But, in general I'd like more fleshed out bad endings, like seeing the events unfold through someone else's eyes. Just for some more perspective.

Saphirax

Thought Kei's route would go in a direction I wouldn't like. Thankfully it didn't. I actually ended up liking it and his character.

A little conflicted about Takeru though. I like his character and all but Ichika wasn't as good as she was in other routes. In fact, she was mostly an errand girl for him which was super disappointing.

AngelHime

Neo Member
Finished my playthrough last night, lots of story which is good I think it's the best story wise we've gotten so far.

Kei ended up being my favorite.

Ratrat

Might be a dumb question, but is the gaf otome community mostly girls? They often look quite nice but I wonder if there is appeal for guys as well?

AngelHime

Neo Member
Might be a dumb question, but is the gaf otome community mostly girls? They often look quite nice but I wonder if there is appeal for guys as well?

Cannot speak for everyone since I'm unsure myself, but I have seen guys have interest in these games. It's a VN game too so if the romance isn't for them they can just be interested in the story

Ratrat

Cannot speak for everyone since I'm unsure myself, but I have seen guys have interest in these games. It's a VN game too so if the romance isn't for them they can just be interested in the story
Thats nice. Never played an otome or bl game yet, but enjoyed Steins; Gate even though I'm gay. As long as the stories good.

Saphirax

I'm starting a 'Protect Shiraishi' coalition. Man, that ending...

Ichika having some spunk in his (and Aiji's) route made the whole thing even better. Still not done with Aiji, but am enjoying his route.

I'm a straight guy and I find otome games to be really enjoyable.
Usually the storylines are compelling and the characters are well-written.

Also...I like the romantic moments. Every now and then, one of the dudes will do or say just the right thing, and I'll get a little light-headed.

EDIT: Might as well link to the Otome reviews I've written thus far. They might give a better idea of my opinion on them.
Sweet Fuse: At Your Side - http://www.cubed3.com/review/3980/1/sweet-fuse-at-your-side-psp.html
Amnesia: Memories - http://steamcommunity.com/id/pepsimanvsjoe/recommended/359390
Collar X Malice - http://www.cubed3.com/review/4086/1/collar-x-malice-ps-vita.html

Kirie

At least on gaf there are a few regulars that I know are dudes that hang around and buy the games on release. It's always nice to see them around and hear their opinions imo!

Everywhere else (like the subreddit/twitter) and other smaller communities are overwhelmingly women from what I've seen.

It's pretty interesting, I'm a mod over on one of the more active Harvest Moon/Bokumono fansites and the ratio of women to men is actually pretty crazy. We're about 80-90% women on there (who post actively at least), so we have a pretty decent size of people who love otomes in that community. Very few guys over there that play them unfortunately :(

@Saph - I'll join that club with you, FD please ;~;

Saphirax

At least on gaf there are a few regulars that I know are dudes that hang around and buy the games on release. It's always nice to see them around and hear their opinions imo!

Everywhere else (like the subreddit/twitter) and other smaller communities are overwhelmingly women from what I've seen.

It's pretty interesting, I'm a mod over on one of the more active Harvest Moon/Bokumono fansites and the ratio of women to men is actually pretty crazy. We're about 80-90% women on there (who post actively at least), so we have a pretty decent size of people who love otomes in that community. Very few guys over there that play them unfortunately :(

@Saph - I'll join that club with you, FD please ;~;

Yay!

I want a FD...or two, but I'm terribly conflicted about it. Knowing Otomate, it probably wouldn't be very good.

I'd also be disappointed because we wouldn't get a route for Morioka.

63699.jpg

Gimme!

BTA

I'm a straight guy and I've been really into what I've played so far! Code Realize is in front of me as I type, hah. I should say I like visual novels in general as well.

For me the appeal is the story, but I do specifically love good romance plots and I feel like they don't come up much in games outside of visual novels, and particularly otoge. This... sounds like I'm saying "no homo", but the best way I can put it is: I'm not attracted to the guys so by themselves they do nothing for me, but I still really like the varied relationship dynamics/interactions/moments they have with the main characters, if that makes sense? So like Pepsiman said, there's still romantic moments that get my heart going!

Kirie

Yay!

I want a FD...or two, but I'm terribly conflicted about it. Knowing Otomate, it probably wouldn't be very good.

I'd also be disappointed because we wouldn't get a route for Morioka.

63699.jpg

Gimme!
You said the Otomate party is happening soon, right? Crossing my fingers! Though like you said, their FDs usually aren't great but I think at this point I'll take whatever I can get to see more of the characters. If it ends up trash we can always ignore it at least!

I'd be sooooo down for a Morioka route, gimme

Saphirax

You said the Otomate party is happening soon, right? Crossing my fingers! Though like you said, their FDs usually aren't great but I think at this point I'll take whatever I can get to see more of the characters. If it ends up trash we can always ignore it at least!

I'd be sooooo down for a Morioka route, gimme

September 2 and 3, yeah.

http://www.otomate.jp/event/party/

Hoping for good news 🙏🏻.

mindatlarge

Looking to pick this up and noticed Best Buy has it listed as "coming soon". Anyone know if they sold through their initial stock and plan on replenishing it? I see Amazon has it in stock but I prefer BB. Thanks for any help.

Looking to pick this up and noticed Best Buy has it listed as "coming soon". Anyone know if they sold through their initial stock and plan on replenishing it? I see Amazon has it in stock but I prefer BB. Thanks for any help.
Best Buy never carried out my Period Cube order and when I noticed something similar was happening with their CxM listing I went with Amazon.
I think they just have some weirdness with Aksys Otome titles cause the prints are probably very small.

kunonabi

I'm a straight guy and I find otome games to be really enjoyable.
Usually the storylines are compelling and the characters are well-written.

Also...I like the romantic moments. Every now and then, one of the dudes will do or say just the right thing, and I'll get a little light-headed.

EDIT: Might as well link to the Otome reviews I've written thus far. They might give a better idea of my opinion on them.
Sweet Fuse: At Your Side - http://www.cubed3.com/review/3980/1/sweet-fuse-at-your-side-psp.html
Amnesia: Memories - http://steamcommunity.com/id/pepsimanvsjoe/recommended/359390
Collar X Malice - http://www.cubed3.com/review/4086/1/collar-x-malice-ps-vita.html

Same here. I just like romance stories regardless of the perspective. The blank avatar ones tend not to work for me quite as well though.

mindatlarge

Best Buy never carried out my Period Cube order and when I noticed something similar was happening with their CxM listing I went with Amazon.
I think they just have some weirdness with Aksys Otome titles cause the prints are probably very small.
Thanks for the info! Figured it was something like that. I'll just go with Amazon then.

BTA

I've started playing and am doing Mineo's route first. Really enjoying it so far; the premise/plot so far is really cool and he's wonderful as well. I'm a little worried I won't like some of the other guys as much, but we'll see.

I am a little confused about the endings though. I figured it would be structured like Code Realize, where I tried to pick bad answers to see all the bad ends and then get the normal ending, before immediately replaying the route to see the extra scenes for good choices and its true ending. But here I'm only in Mineo chapter 2 and I've already seemed to hit a point where, even after reloading to pick the right choice (and seeing an extra scene), I get stuck into the same bad ending as the wrong choice?

Am I really going to have to carefully make sure I don't do that badly so I don't get hit by these arbitrary gating points? If so, I'm really frustrated that they used the same exact ending without explaining what I was doing wrong- someone without any idea of how these games work would just think it's a bug, as it still seemingly calls you out for making the wrong choice (though I guess it does vaguely make sense after the extra scene still). It sounds like there's systems in place to make replaying after the first route completion even easier than CR so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle, but still...

Saphirax

I've started playing and am doing Mineo's route first. Really enjoying it so far; the premise/plot so far is really cool and he's wonderful as well. I'm a little worried I won't like some of the other guys as much, but we'll see.

I am a little confused about the endings though. I figured it would be structured like Code Realize, where I tried to pick bad answers to see all the bad ends and then get the normal ending, before immediately replaying the route to see the extra scenes for good choices and its true ending. But here I'm only in Mineo chapter 2 and I've already seemed to hit a point where, even after reloading to pick the right choice (and seeing an extra scene), I get stuck into the same bad ending as the wrong choice?

Am I really going to have to carefully make sure I don't do that badly so I don't get hit by these arbitrary gating points? If so, I'm really frustrated that they used the same exact ending without explaining what I was doing wrong- someone without any idea of how these games work would just think it's a bug, as it still seemingly calls you out for making the wrong choice (though I guess it does vaguely make sense after the extra scene still). It sounds like there's systems in place to make replaying after the first route completion even easier than CR so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle, but still...

The ending you get probably depends on your trust and/or affection levels or you need to reload further back to pick another choice; probably at the beginning of chapter 2.

Here are the answers for the entirety of ch 2 including the bad endings.

Chapter 2
! Save
That’s not true (Trophy)
It’s my SRCPO mission /Bad End
! Load Save
✘ …
(New)! Save
Stay here for now /Bad End
! Load Save
✘ Chase after him (Trust up)

BTA

The ending you get probably depends on your trust and/or affection levels or you need to reload further back to pick another choice; probably at the beginning of chapter 2.

Here are the answers for the entirety of ch 2 including the bad endings.

Chapter 2
! Save
That’s not true (Trophy)
It’s my SRCPO mission /Bad End
! Load Save
✘ …
(New)! Save
Stay here for now /Bad End
! Load Save
✘ Chase after him (Trust up)

I don't like looking at a guide the first time through, though. It's more that even in Amnesia (when I actually was trying to play somewhat normally but mostly hit the Normal end first due to my own mistakes) the gradual bad end gate made sense. Here it was sudden, really early on, and doesn't make a ton of sense in context.

To be clear, the problem here is that
picking "Chase after him" eventually hits the exact same bad ending (as in same exact text, I can skip it, etc.) as "Stay here for now". In that ending you still get shamed for not following Mineo, even though if you did chase him it doesn't make much sense, since you talk to him and then he leaves and... it's not like it was clear she should have followed him again? I didn't get a chance to read more yesterday but I'm not even sure she'll follow him again if you get through that gate- is the point of the gate that he wouldn't leave at all if he trusted you...? But that still wouldn't match what you're told.

In any case, it's such a weird point to gate at, especially as going by that guide I think I'll have to reload to chapter 1 to get affection/trust up? So it's gating on whether you got any in chapter 1 at all, since there's no stat ups between then and the scene you get for chasing (which apparently wasn't enough)?

It's not a huge deal, to be clear; I'm not super frustrated about it, just a little bothered. Just more observing that it's a bizarre mechanical/structural choice without enough feedback to the player.

Saphirax

I don't like looking at a guide the first time through, though. It's more that even in Amnesia (when I actually was trying to play somewhat normally but mostly hit the Normal end first due to my own mistakes) the gradual bad end gate made sense. Here it was sudden, really early on, and doesn't make a ton of sense in context.

To be clear, the problem here is that
picking "Chase after him" eventually hits the exact same bad ending (as in same exact text, I can skip it, etc.) as "Stay here for now". In that ending you still get shamed for not following Mineo, even though if you did chase him it doesn't make much sense, since you talk to him and then he leaves and... it's not like it was clear she should have followed him again? I didn't get a chance to read more yesterday but I'm not even sure she'll follow him again if you get through that gate- is the point of the gate that he wouldn't leave at all if he trusted you...? But that still wouldn't match what you're told.

In any case, it's such a weird point to gate at, especially as going by that guide I think I'll have to reload to chapter 1 to get affection/trust up? So it's gating on whether you got any in chapter 1 at all, since there's no stat ups between then and the scene you get for chasing (which apparently wasn't enough)?

It's not a huge deal, to be clear; I'm not super frustrated about it, just a little bothered. Just more observing that it's a bizarre mechanical/structural choice without enough feedback to the player.

Yeah, it can get annoying if you don't follow a guide. I suggest you save before every choice. If you choose the right one, there will be an indicator that will let you know your trust/affection increased.

BTA

Yeah, it can get annoying if you don't follow a guide. I suggest you save before every choice. If you choose the right one, there will be an indicator that will let you know your trust/affection increased.

I've been saving obsessively because I expected lots of bad ends based on what people said, which unfortunately means for this I have to dig through them to find one far enough back in chapter 1 if my thoughts about this are right, hah.

The indicator thing's a pretty cool feature, but since I'm aiming for doing worse first (it feels weird to see a normal ending after a true ending, you know?) I sorta wish it signaled when you missed your chance to go up too. I totally get why the game's structured to require you to do well enough with the route's character at certain points, but I'm disappointed that it's such an arbitrary point with so little warning/feedback, hmm.

...actually, I'd theorize that maybe it's a matter of trust determines progression and affection determining ending but I'm guessing it's a little more arbitrary than that? Might as well test that, though. And I don't mind looking at guides once I'm through a chapter (and, well, I did glance to see how many chapters Mineo had) so I have no problem with having to go back again if I'm wrong. Just might have to take some notes on which of my saves are where chapter-wise at this point!

What's the benefit of saving before every choice when you can just rewind the game back from the dialogue history and choose the other option should you get it wrong the first time?

Saphirax

I've been saving obsessively because I expected lots of bad ends based on what people said, which unfortunately means for this I have to dig through them to find one far enough back in chapter 1 if my thoughts about this are right, hah.

The indicator thing's a pretty cool feature, but since I'm aiming for doing worse first (it feels weird to see a normal ending after a true ending, you know?) I sorta wish it signaled when you missed your chance to go up too. I totally get why the game's structured to require you to do well enough with the route's character at certain points, but I'm disappointed that it's such an arbitrary point with so little warning/feedback, hmm.

...actually, I'd theorize that maybe it's a matter of trust determines progression and affection determining ending but I'm guessing it's a little more arbitrary than that? Might as well test that, though. And I don't mind looking at guides once I'm through a chapter (and, well, I did glance to see how many chapters Mineo had) so I have no problem with having to go back again if I'm wrong. Just might have to take some notes on which of my saves are where chapter-wise at this point!

I think going for the tragic/normal endings first is going to be difficult seeing how you need low affection for them. You'd also potentially miss out on some CGs causing you to have to redo a lot more than just the last chapter.

What's the benefit of saving before every choice when you can just rewind the game back from the dialogue history and choose the other option should you get it wrong the first time?

Well, some choices lead to bad endings :p.

BTA

I think going for the tragic/normal endings first is going to be difficult seeing how you need low affection for them. You'd also potentially miss out on some CGs causing you to have to redo a lot more than just the last chapter.

Well, some choices lead to bad endings :p.

Eh, I always redid the whole character route in Code Realize and it was fine due to the skip speed. I know there's more to skip through here, but still. Worst case it's enough of a problem during Mineo's that I adjust my playstyle for the second route and on.

And yeah, all the saving is for avoiding bad ends (especially because I've already had a few where the bit after the choice didn't immediately signal they were bad ends); otherwise I could just rewind.

OniBaka

Platinum the game, was very enjoyable and probably on my list of favorite visual novels. Kept me engaged which is rare as I had been burnt out on code realised. Now I should actually finish code realised.

I'm a straight guy, I generally like a good romance story so it doesn't matter if it's otome or not and it being a crime story was a huge plus.

Top Bottom