• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only issues will be at lb, our secondary and slime is going to be outstanding this year. Linebackers do make me nervous, outside of shazier they have been a disappointment, expect a lot of nickle sets this year

No. You're trash. They're all trash. 38.5 ppg allowed incoming. See Indiana.

Of course I'm kidding.

Seriously though, aren't you replacing your entire front seven or something ridiculous like that? Most of your pub seems rooted in "piss-easy schedule + Urban + pretty good QB" and little else.

No. You're trash. They're all trash. 38.5 ppg allowed incoming. See Indiana.

Of course I'm kidding.

Seriously though, aren't you replacing your entire front seven or something ridiculous like that? Most of your pub seems rooted in "piss-easy schedule + Urban + pretty good QB" and little else.

Replacing 1 linebacker and both starting DE but we rotated so many dline out so much, and there's tons of talent there.

Draxal

Really awesome article showing how entrenched ESPN has become in schedule making. Good luck, NBC and Fox.

Which is why everybody is assuming the Big 10 is going to make baaaank when it's tv rights are up for 2016. It's the first real shot fox and NBC have to break the monopoly.

Which is why everybody is assuming the Big 10 is going to make baaaank when it's tv rights are up for 2016. It's the first real shot fox and NBC have to break the monopoly.

Well second. But we saw ESPN's reaction to make sure there would be no viable conference to make it worth NBC's time or effort.

mcgruber

Not buying this Ohio State hype. Their defense is gonna have issues.

Re: Herbstreit just picked them & Bama for title game. (Also, way to go out on a limb, Kirk. Preaseason #1 vs preseaon #2 is your title game pick? lawl)

Have any title game picks been out on a limb? Most people here picked the same thing. I've seen Clemson as a sleeper pick and maybe lsu(very doubtful)

Hmmm, there's a proposal on the table to put the 2014 Big Game down at the 49ers new stadium in Santa Clara. I can't imagine too many Cal fans are happy about that.
Really awesome article showing how entrenched ESPN has become in schedule making. Good luck, NBC and Fox.
That's a good read, thanks.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Got my tickets for UT Chattanooga sacrifice at Bryant Denny today. It will be much more enjoyable for me than the Duke game was back in 2010. Still pretty stoked to go see them play. I think we are staying in Birmingham and then just driving down from there Saturday morning.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Got my tickets for UT Chattanooga sacrifice at Bryant Denny today. It will be much more enjoyable for me than the Duke game was back in 2010. Still pretty stoked to go see them play. I think we are staying in Birmingham and then just driving down from there Saturday morning.

Ballpark figure, how much?

It's been too long since I've gone to a game. I'd love to go to one of the big games, but dammit, those are priced outside of my comfortable range of luxurious expenditures.

AntoneM

Whoa, hey, we already have an ASU fan around here. I don't know where he is right now, he seems to have kind of vanished, but there ain't room for any more.

Put me down as the ASU fan from now on. I think I can even remove the paper bag over my head I had to wear during most of the Dennis Erickson years. Hopefully the AD has some coaches lined up after Graham finds his next dream job.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Ballpark figure, how much?

It's been too long since I've gone to a game. I'd love to go to one of the big games, but dammit, those are priced outside of my comfortable range of luxurious expenditures.

Right at $100 a piece. I'm sure scalpers will have them for less, but I've paid that much to watch Duke stomp a nobody in Cameron, and I figured my Dad is worth that much. I'd also rather be guaranteed a seat. We're really excited.

Talon

Hmmm, there's a proposal on the table to put the 2014 Big Game down at the 49ers new stadium in Santa Clara. I can't imagine too many Cal fans are happy about that.
That's a good read, thanks.
The fucked up thing is that ESPN's prominence in the sport DIRECTLY affects the outcome because College Football is so predicated on perception.

We can kvetch about ESPN pulling their support in that Frontline piece all we want, but that doesn't affect the outcomes on Sunday and, ultimately, next February.

That article did a great job of chopping up just why ESPN getting to College Station and shoving JFF down our throats was a big deal.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
The fucked up thing is that ESPN's prominence in the sport DIRECTLY affects the outcome because College Football is so predicated on perception.

We can kvetch about ESPN pulling their support in that Frontline piece all we want, but that doesn't affect the outcomes on Sunday and, ultimately, next February.

That article did a great job of chopping up just why ESPN getting to College Station and shoving JFF down our throats was a big deal.

Is there a link to this because I'd love to read it. The Manziel hype is making the Tebow hype look organic in comparison. I won't wish injury on anyone and I really don't care about Johnny Football one way or another, but I'd find it amusing to laugh at ESPN as they scramble to find another storyline to sell CFB if Manziel went down

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Graham Harrell just got released by the Green Bay Packers.

Gossip is heating up that walkon true freshman QB Baker Mayfield is going to get the start versus SMU.

Graham Harrell wore #6 at Tech. "Baker Mayfield" wears #6.

Coincidence? I THINK NOT.

Talon

Is there a link to this because I'd love to read it. The Manziel hype is making the Tebow hype look organic in comparison. I won't wish injury on anyone and I really don't care about Johnny Football one way or another, but I'd find it amusing to laugh at ESPN as they scramble to find another storyline to sell CFB if Manziel went down
Here, brosefine.
Big NYT dive into ESPN's unseen role as puppet-master & kingmaker in college football, arranging games, setting skeds http://t.co/Zel89H1q5a

Gossip is heating up that walkon true freshman QB Baker Mayfield is going to get the start versus SMU.

Davis Webb must have had a rough summer. Oh well, now we get to watch 2 Lake Travis QB's dual it out. My money is on Garrett Gilbert...
to throw more INT's than TD's in that game

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Davis Webb must have had a rough summer. Oh well, now we get to watch 2 Lake Travis QB's dual it out. My money is on Garrett Gilbert...
to throw more INT's than TD's in that game

Sadly, Garrett Gilbert is actually 1-0 versus Tech. Started for a win against us when he was at Texas.

Personally, if it's true that Mayfield is ahead then I think it's because of his mobility. Both guys have apparently won over the huddle but Mayfield is more of the fun, exciting guy and Webb is more of the serious, technician guy so if you add that plus the mobility factor Mayfield probably reminds Kliff more of the guy he was coaching with great success last season.

Regardless, I have concerns about starting a true freshman for what will likely be a significant portion of the season but I don't particularly have any more concern for one guy over the other. And hey, Brewer has never been technically confirmed to be out for sure, so maybe we'll have a miracle and the Lake Travis QB showdown will be Brewer/Gilbert instead of Mayfield/Gilbert (though I still expect Brewer to miss 3 to 4 games at least).

mcgruber

Fuck, Kiffin flat out refuses to pick Kessler.

Now we're gonna have 2 QBs playing in our game against Hawaii. Fuck.

Oklahoma state is using the 2 qb system as well.

one of the usc wideouts seemed pretty disappointed that one starter wasnt named and it took this long

Draxal

Oh shit, Browns just cut Brandon Weeden. Guess he's going back to OSU.

Unlike last season...

1) much stiffer conference competition
2) new offensive system
3) higher expectations

Hopefully last year wasn't a fluke.

hi-res-6880644_display_image.jpg

Go Spartans!

The MWC is wide open. There are a few good teams like Nevada, Fresno St, and Utah State, but no great teams. And Louisiana Tech is now in a different conference.

So, San Jose is definitely in the mix

jakncoke

Banned
Are the weekly threads going to be in the OT or OT Community ? I cant remember how we did it last year. Also nearly the start of half way point till the bowl ban is over!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Are the weekly threads going to be in the OT or OT Community ? I cant remember how we did it last year. Also nearly the start of half way point till the bowl ban is over!

I don't think the CFB threads were ever in community prior to this one. So who knows how things will work for the season topics.

I don't think the CFB threads were ever in community prior to this one. So who knows how things will work for the season topics.

Cyan confirmed a while back that our weekly threads will be in community. We could give the high profile games their own thread and those will remain in the OT but they may detract from posts in the main CFB weekly thread.

Quake1028

AAC: Louisville
ACC Winner: Miami
-Atlantic: Clemson
-Coastal: Miami
Big 12: Texas
B1G Winner: Ohio State
-Legends: Michigan
-Leaders: Ohio State
Pac-12 Winner: Oregon
-North: Oregon
-South: UCLA