• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Convictions against Dharun Ravi tossed (Rutgers student webcam case)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy who's room-mate killed himself after he secretly recorded his encounter with another man.

NEWARK, N.J. — A New Jersey appeals court on Friday threw out the 15-count conviction of a former Rutgers University student whose roommate killed himself after being captured on a webcam kissing another man.

The three-judge panel dismissed four bias intimidation counts against Dharun Ravi because of a change in state law since Ravi’s 2012 trial.

The judges ordered a new trial on other counts including invasion of privacy, tampering with evidence and hindering apprehension because, they wrote, the evidence prosecutors used to prove the bias charges “tainted the jury’s verdict on the remaining charges, depriving defendant of his constitutional right to a fair trial.”

Ravi faced up to 10 years in prison but was sentenced to 30 days in county jail plus three years’ probation and community service. He ended up serving 20 days.

Prosecutors had argued before the appeals court that the sentencing judge overstepped his authority by imposing a sentence that was too lenient. Friday’s ruling rendered that argument moot.
-Source

Thought this might be some interesting news since that case turned into a national conversation when it came to privacy issues and bullying against gays. I had thought the case was settled and done with since I hadn't heard anything in a while after he was convicted.

sangreal

From what I recall there isn't even anything linking the attempted (failed) snooping and the suicide. It'll be interesting to see if they manage another conviction now that the media coverage died down

He is certainly guilty of the remaining charges, but without the hate crime aspect that got tossed last year I don't think he would even have been prosecuted let alone received such a harsh sentence

slider

I remember this from the time. Thought it was much more recent. Ignoring the various arguments, at a gut instinct level, this dude is detestable (based on the vague recollection of the version of his actions told).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom