• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Corrupt Democractic Senator Bob Menendez (NJ) comes out against the Iran Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
They just talked about it on CNN. Don't see a report out yet.

For those wondering why I put corrupt in the thread title:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Menendez

On April 1, 2015, Senator Menendez attracted national media attention when he was indicted on federal corruption charges in the United States District Court, related to favors he did for alleged personal friend, Florida ophthalmologist Salomon Melgen and gifts he received from him, including campaign donations and private flights. Melgen was charged as well. Menendez has pleaded not guilty to all charges.[4]

In 2010, The Wall Street Journal reported that Menendez had written to Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke,[116] asking him to approve an acquisition that would rescue from the prospect of receivership a New Jersey bank, First Bank Americano, operated by Menendez contributors.[117] It was discovered that "eight of 15 directors, including the bank’s chairman and vice-chairman, have been contributors to Menendez or his political action committee."[118] Former federal bank regulator William K. Black called the letter "grotesquely inappropriate" and said that "the letter crossed an unofficial line by asking regulators to approve an application instead of simply asking that it be given consideration."[117] An aide to the senator said that his decision to write the letter was not influenced by political contributions. A highly critical report by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation found that the institution had engaged in unsafe or unsound banking practices, including operating without adequate supervision by its board of directors, an excessive level of delinquent or bad loans, inadequate earnings and insufficient coverage of its assets.[119][120][121][122]

On January 5, 2012 Menendez blocked Judge Patty Shwartz, an Obama administration nominee to a federal judgeship, drawing speculation that the block was placed because of Shwartz's relationship with the head of the public corruption unit for New Jersey’s federal prosecutor who had investigated the senator during his 2006 election fight.[123] Menendez denied personal motivation for the block. He has long contended that the corruption investigation was politically motivated.[124][125] The investigation was closed in late 2011, with no charges filed.[126]

On March 6, 2015, it was announced that the United States Department of Justice was preparing criminal corruption charges against Menendez in the United States District Court.[141][142] On April 1, 2015, Menendez was indicted on corruption charges, accused of using his office to improperly benefit Salomon Melgen, a personal friend and an eye doctor in Florida and political donor, who offered the Senator an array of perks including trips on his private jet, three nights at a five-star Paris hotel, a round of golf at a private club in West Palm Beach and access to an exclusive Dominican resort - some of which Menendez didn't disclose on financial disclosure forms.[143] Menendez also helped acquire visas for several of Melgen's girlfriends.[144] The indictment charged Menendez with 14 counts, including bribery, conspiracy, and making false statements.[145] Melgen was also charged in the case.[145] Menendez voluntarily stepped down as ranking member of the Foreign Relations Committee after his indictment.[146]
According to the Justice Department's indictment Menendez asked top State Department officials to pressure the Dominican Republic’s government into enforcing a port-security contract that would benefit Melgen’s company while at the same time Melgen was promising to give $60,000 to Menendez’s political campaign.[147] The U.S. Government claims that Menendez, on or about May 16, 2012, met an assistant secretary at the State Department to discuss the security screening contract and on that day Melgen's family donated $40,000 to the New Jersey Democratic State "Victory" campaign and $20,000 to Menendez’s legal defense fund.[147]

it's going to be close for the deal. if gop attack ads fucks this up for everybody they're just going to go and say "see obama fucked everything up"

i hate how uninformed the voter is in this country

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
it's going to be close for the deal. if gop attack ads fucks this up for everybody they're just going to go and say "see obama fucked everything up"

i hate how uninformed the voter is in this country

"informed" doesn't necessarily mean smart or correct...

pigeon

Banned
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...unt-where-the-senate-stands-on-the-iran-deal/

found that. they only need 4 more potentially to uphold a veto there.

I'm confused? Your link shows 10.

Note, also, that saying that a Senator will vote against the deal doesn't actually mean they'll meaningfully do so.

There are actually three votes Senators potentially need to take here:

1. Cloture on the measure to disapprove of the Iran deal.
2. Actually disapproving of the Iran deal.
3. Voting to override a Presidential veto of the measure to disapprove of the Iran deal.

One of those votes is pure policy, while the other two are also heavily party-politics issues. Theoretically almost any number of Senators could vote no on 2 if they were willing to flip when 3 came around.

I still think that the deal is going to pass, with a lot of wiggling around to allow Democrats who feel like they need to take a no here to get their no vote in.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I'm confused? Your link shows 10.

huh? the graphic says 20 announced yes, 10 leaning yes, and 13 undecided. assuming the 10 leaning yes vote yes, only 4 more would be needed to block a 67 vote (2/3 vote) veto in the senate

Note, also, that saying that a Senator will vote against the deal doesn't actually mean they'll meaningfully do so.

nor does saying they will vote for it do so either. it's just what people are currently saying. we won't know if it passes/fails until it actually gets voted on.

There are actually three votes Senators potentially need to take here:

1. Cloture on the measure to disapprove of the Iran deal.
2. Actually disapproving of the Iran deal.
3. Voting to override a Presidential veto of the measure to disapprove of the Iran deal.

One of those votes is pure policy, while the other two are also heavily party-politics issues. Theoretically almost any number of Senators could vote no on 2 if they were willing to flip when 3 came around.

I still think that the deal is going to pass, with a lot of wiggling around to allow Democrats who feel like they need to take a no here to get their no vote in.

yes, i understand that. its just what it currently is, we know that it is more likely to pass as a "no" and be vetoed so if they "support the deal" they would potentially vote against an override since they support the deal.

its all conjecture at this point, anyhow. its just an easy way of seeing who has said what so far.

pigeon

Banned
huh? the graphic says 20 announced yes, 10 leaning yes, and 13 undecided. assuming the 10 leaning yes vote yes, only 4 more would be needed to block a 67 vote (2/3 vote) veto in the senate

Sorry, I misread your post and thought you were saying 4 more to override a veto. My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom