• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daggerfall Unity available on GOG (with loads of handpicked mods)

Guilty_AI

This ambitious project, launched over a decade ago by Gavin “Interkarma” Clayton, is aiming to bring the unique experience of the classic open-world RPG game to a new generation of gamers. Thanks to the efforts of the GamerZakh, a gaming content creator with a love for classics, you can now enjoy a special GOG Cut of the Daggerfall Unity title.

All you have to do is download the game and simply launch it. The GOG Cut of Daggerfall Unity doesn’t require any special actions or updates on your behalf. Thanks to settings and mods that were selected by GamerZakh you can explore the rich world of Daggerfall with enhanced visuals and gameplay.

However, please note that although we find the experience very enjoyable the work on the title is stil ongoing. Some technical issues might occur, so it’s wise to quicksave often (F9) :D

If you’re ready for a deep dive into the rich fantasy universe of the game, more titles from The Elder Scrolls series await your discovery on GOG!

The fact it comes with all the great mods pre-installed is a huge plus. They greatly enhance the experience, but also made picking up the game intimidating to some.

Now its a great time to jump into the game if you never did before.

Oh and its still all 100% free

Last edited:

Duchess

Play a reimagined version of the all-time RPG classic from The Elder Scrolls series. Daggerfall Unity – GOG Cut brings this amazing experience to modern gamers. It has been made possible thanks to a whole team of passionate creators working under the banner of Daggerfall Unity.

(Edit: not sure why I titled this "Dagger Fall 2")

Last edited:

amigastar

Although i will probably never play it, i got it anyways, thx for mentioning.
Or is it worth playing even by today standards?

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Is this worth playing in 2022 or are there too many antiquated mechanics to kill the fun?

Looks like it requires GOG Galaxy to install, I fucking hate that we've gone back in time with everyone wanting you to install their shitty launcher to play a game. Yes I know you can make GOG Galaxy login to all your stuff, I'm not going to do that though.

Guilty_AI

Here you go

ba-dum-tsss-drum.gif

Guilty_AI

Looks like it requires GOG Galaxy to install, I fucking hate that we've gone back in time with everyone wanting you to install their shitty launcher to play a game. Yes I know you can make GOG Galaxy login to all your stuff, I'm not going to do that though.
No? You just need a GOG account, you can download offline installers from the website

Is this worth playing in 2022 or are there too many antiquated mechanics to kill the fun?
I'd say the biggest mechanical issue is the dice-roll based combat. Essentially attacking your enemies doesn't guarantee the attack will land, with everything being heavily stat based.

jaysius

Banned
No? You just need a GOG account, you can download offline installers from the website

I'd say the biggest mechanical issue is the dice-roll based combat. Essentially attacking your enemies doesn't guarantee the attack will land, with everything being heavily stat based.
Thank you for clarifying that, and the other answer too, might be worth a try.

They REALLY deempahsize the OFFLINE install option.

Last edited:

Kacho

Is it still worth it today?
As a curiosity sure. You likely won't stick with it long though. Game is old school jank and without nostalgia it will be hard to get invested.

It's free though so give it whirl. See if you can make it out of the starter dungeon. lol

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

As a curiosity sure. You likely won't stick with it long though. Game is old school jank and without nostalgia it will be hard to get invested.

It's free though so give it whirl. See if you can make it out of the starter dungeon. lol
But it is worth mentioning this is a vastly improved version if compared to the original. Visuals are greatly enhanced, lots of bugs and jank were fixed, improvements to gameplay and to the world in general, new QoL features, added new content, etc.

I'd say the biggest barrier for new players is probably the steep learning curve.

Last edited:

amigastar

I just wish there would be an one click install solution for Morroblivion. Have problems installing that succesfully.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
The greatest RPG of all time. Nice package, thanks for the tip.

Or is it worth playing even by today standards?
It's extremely intricate. It's proportionally good to the time you invest in it. But it's still the best Elder Scrolls, by far.

P.S.
Never enter dungeons without levitate, recall and water breathing spells. Set an anchor at the beginning or you're gonna spend real-life days inside of them.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
I was ready to rage, rant and hate on GOG, but I checked and no, you can download the offline installer.

Totally unconsequential.

Last edited:
Top Bottom