• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Datamining the RE2 Remake One-Shot Demo (Tagged Spoilers Within)

Shifty

So, I copped this article from PSU after hearing about some interesting RE2 datamining early on in this stream from ex-Super Best Friend and massive RE2 nut Pat Boivin.

The source as quoted is a bunch of claims on Era sans any evidence, which left me with something of a dilemma in regards to posting this thread.
Don't wanna to be tanking my credibility by posting garbage-tier sources on GAF, know what I'm sayin'? :messenger_sunglasses:

Thus, I decided to bust out a hex editor, dig in myself, and see about confirming some of these so-called interesting details. I couldn't verify everything from the Era post, but I've located what I can. I've managed to verify everything save for a couple of vague rewordings from the Era post.
For reference in case any of you care to confirm this youself or dig in further, the hex editor used was HxD. You can directly open re2.exe from the Steam demo with it, and memory addresses are visible in all screenshots for verification purposes.

So, let's get cracking shall we? I'll be presenting screenshots of any found strings alongside speculation on their function based on several years of programming experience, as well as the possible ramifications on the game itself.
That said, I want to re-emphasize that outside of the presented screenshot evidence, this is all speculation. The hard truth is that these strings exist within the shipped demo, and nothing more than that. Don't be whipping yourselves into a frenzy, y'hear?

bb5183e82532f7be34827c883bae2a81.png

CAMERA_SELECT

Appears to be an enumeration value for a user interface string, given the values around it.

Notable is its presence alongside top-level menu options such as NEW_GAME, LOAD_GAME and CHARACTER_SELECT rather than those that you'd find nested within an options menu.
This could point to the presence of a fixed-camera bonus mode. Please Capcom, I'm beggin' ya :messenger_face_screaming:
930d6c7391a98c2f740a7071ba9764ef.png

LEON_A
CLAIRE_A
LEON_B
CLAIRE_B
HUNK

More enumerators for what appear to be campaigns, including A/B variations for Leon and Claire.
Curiously there's no TOFU in here, but that could be explained away by Hunk and Tofu sharing a scenario as per the original game.
Alternately, these could relate to functionality that applies to the base campaigns and Hunk, but not Tofu's scenario. No idea what that could be, however.

As far as the A/B stuff goes, I believe Capcom have gone on record stating that there will be "two campaigns".
However, given the recent reveal of Hunk and Tofu that statement may well just be cleverly-worded PR, or technically correct since the originial game has two 'sides' that you can see with either of the main characters. We shall see.
f9b8d87b7a037da83ba95b0df15556ca.png

loadSubSceneLeonA
loadSubSceneLeonB
loadSubSceneClaireA
loadSubSceneClaireB
loadSubScene4th
loadSubSceneTofu
loadSubSceneRogue

Function names corresponding to various campaigns, again featuring the A/B designations for Leon and Claire. Also included is an as-yet unmentioned 'Rogue'.
These probably load individual rooms, cutscenes or scripted events within the appropriate campaign.

Could Rogue be a post-game bonus mode akin to the randomized Ethan Must Die from RE7, or perhaps something along the lines of Mercenaries?
2b911d9c72e6efc81579b0853adf0b44.png

RopewayContents/World/Location_Result/LocationLevel_Result/LocationFsm_Result/Leon_A
RopewayContents/World/Location_Result/LocationLevel_Result/LocationFsm_Result/Leon_B
RopewayContents/World/Location_Result/LocationLevel_Result/LocationFsm_Result/Claire_A
RopewayContents/World/Location_Result/LocationLevel_Result/LocationFsm_Result/Claire_B
RopewayContents/World/Location_Result/LocationLevel_Result/LocationFsm_Result/4th
RopewayContents/World/Location_Result/LocationLevel_Result/LocationFsm_Result/Tofu
RopewayContents/World/Location_Result/LocationLevel_Result/LocationFsm_Result/Rogue

What appear to be paths for an asset management system of some sort, featuring the same campaign names as the function names above.
'Fsm' could be a reference to a Finite State Machine - a common programming pattern for managing state-based behaviour in anything from characters to user interfaces. Possibly related to internal location tracking in this case.

Given that I don't remember any areas in RE2 that could be called a 'ropeway', and that RopewayContents is the top-level directory, I'd assume that 'Ropeway' is an internal codename for something- the asset manager, the game, or perhaps some new area that we know nothing about.
611f21baeb90a702c7fe3340c0819dca.png

get_IsClearedMainScenario1st
get_IsClearedMainScenario1stLeon
get_IsClearedMainScenario1stClaire
get_IsClearedMainScenario2nd
get_IsClearedMainScenario2ndLeon
get_IsClearedMainScenario2ndClaire
get_ClearGameImmediately
set_ClearGameImmediately
get_ClearedThe4thGame
set_ClearedThe4thGame
get_ClearedTofuGame
set_ClearedTofuGame

Function names of getters and setters for retrieving or modifying the state of various variables that track the completion state of each campaign.
The naming differences (IsCleared vs Cleared) is probably not too important- likely related to their status as bonus games and the resulting differences in code structure relative to the main campaigns.
The ClearGameImmediately references may correspond to the timed aspect of the demo, when you try to start it again after time runs out and it immediately jumps you to the trailer end cutscene.

Interesting that it differentiates between 1st / 1stLeon / 1stClaire / 2nd / 2ndLeon / 2ndClaire. This points even further at the idea of having two campaign 'sides' that can be seen be either character.
2e42ba73e4bb4eca4b4734d662340750.png

PanelColor
PanelCurrentWeapon
PanelHundgun (sp?)
PanelShotgun
PanelSubmachinegun
PanelMagnum
PanelGrenadeLauncher
PanelSparkShot
PanelFlamethrower
PanelRocketLauncher
PanelRocketLauncher_infinite
PanelGatlinggun (sp?)
PanelSexyGun
PanelSexyGunGauge
CurrentSexyGunState
TriggerdGaugeLoop (sp?)
TriggerdErrorLoop (sp?)
TriggerdLockOnLoop (sp?)
CurrentSparkShotState

Variable names relating to weapons, likely used in the UI given the 'Panel' prefix and reference to a 'Gauge'. Spelling mistakes are more common than you'd think in programming, though some cases (such as 'triggerd') may point to a character limit of some sort.

Looks like all of the classics are here, including the series-signature differentation between a rocket launcher that plays the ending cutscene when fired and an 'infinite' rocket launcher that actually launches rockets.
Another interesting addition is the SEXY GUN! :messenger_smiling_hearts: Apparently it has an on-screen gauge, an internal state, some references to 'Loop' that are likely related to sound clips, and 'LockOn' indicating that it's likely to have a lock-on mechanic.

Interesting indeed. What sayeth GAF?

Edit #1
795e791d29dea6681d57cdcc4d6b6b5f.png

RPD_A
RPD_B
RPD_C
RPD_D
RPD_E
RPD_A_SECRET
RPD_B_SECRET
RPD_E_SECRET
WaterPlant_A
WaterPlant_B
WaterPlant_C
WasteWater_A
WasteWater_B
WasteWater_C
WasteWater_A_SECRET
WasteWater_B_SECRET
WasteWater_C_SECRET
CityArea_A
CityArea_B
OrphanAsylum_A
OrphanAsylum_B
OrphanAsylum_C
Laboratory_A
Laboratory_A2
Laboratory_A3
Laboratory_B
Laboratory_B2
Laboratory_C
Laboratory_D
Laboratory_D2
Laboratory_D3
Laboratory_D4

Either variable names or enumerators for the various discrete areas present in the game.

OrphanAsylum is certainly new. CityArea probably corresponds to the areas outside of the RPD from the beginning of the game. And Laboratory certainly seems large compared to the other areas.
I have no idea what the SECRET stuff might be though- the possibilities range from off-map areas, to bonus content-specific stuff, to more or less anything given how vague SECRET is in this context.

Edit 2:
168a444b7111900df5c6d637b1100be7.png

switchFixedCamera
setCurrentFixedCamera
CurrentFixedCamera
getNearestCameraGateSegment
selectFixedCameraByPosition
reserveGimmickFixedCamera
playGimmickFixedCamera
setFixCameraLightEnable

Function names relating to fixed cameras.

This kind of speaks for itself. Particularly getNearestCameraGateSegment and selectFixedCameraByPosition - the former sounds like a lookup function for camera change trigger volumes, and the latter for getting the closest (or most relevant) camera for a given point in space.

Edit 3:
75ed9314a345bfe261e829ed7372eb0d.png

get_VitaKeyAssignType
set_VitaKeyAssignType
get_OptionsKeyAssignType
set_OptionsKeyAssignType
get_OptionVitaKeyAssignType
set_OptionVitaKeyAssignType

Getters and setters relating to... PS Vita? Confirmed not a dead platform :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_ok:
Realistically speaking, this is probably something to do with PS4 remote play. No doubt there are entries in the Sony TRCs for things like this.

Edit 4:
f7b187e3f87584060bf4efbabe5f4e7d.png

BOSS_G1
BOSS_G2
BOSS_G3
BOSS_G35
BOSS_G5
BOSS_TYRANT
BOSS_N_TYRANT

Enumerators relating to boss entities.

So, G-Creature evolutions 1-3, 3.5 and 5, then Tyrant and 'N Tyrant'? I guess Tyrant is Mr. X and N-Tyrant would be... Birkin?

Edit 5:
1f2e868db7ebb40091546197cc152466.png

H&K USP
H&K VP70
S&W M60 LadySmith
WP0210
HP(ADA)
S.A.A.
M1100-P
MAC11
MP5
S&W 329
M79

Weaponry names, probably strings judging by the amount of extra data surrounding them. I doubt this is the complete set given the lack of Sexy Gun and Spark Shot.
Single Action Army... Six bullets, more than enough to kill anything that moves.

Edit 6:
d6c13094fb57ee08c4f4ec918afceb4d.png

Leon S. Kennedy
Ada Wong
Sherry Birkin
Hunk
Tofu
Robert Kendo
Brian Irons
Ben Bertolucci
Annette Birkin
Chris Redfield
Ethan Winters
Marvin Branagh
William Birkin
Dead Man
John
Katherine Warren
Gas Station Sherriff
Vance Zombie
Emma Kendo
Elliot Edward
StoreManager
Sewage Corpse
Burning Corpse
Ending Driver

What appears to be character names surrounded in parentheses. Likely strings for the same reason as the weapons above.
I can't really see a through-line between all of these other than "they're in the game". Maybe some credits "featuring the cast" sequence? StoreManager not having a space makes me doubt that somewhat though. Subtitles names with a typo?
Also what are Chris Redfield and Ethan Winters doing in the game? Emma Kendo? Curiouser and curiouser :pie_thinking:

Edit 7:
a23caaa7f434a9da1c8556df43d566f5.png

Mes_Sys_Weapon_Albert_Figure
WEAPON_NAME_WP7030
WEAPON_DETAIL_WP7030_0
WEAPON_DETAIL_WP7030_1
WEAPON_DETAIL_WP7030_2
WEAPON_DETAIL_WP7030_3
Mes_Sys_Weapon_Chris_Figure
WEAPON_NAME_WP7010
WEAPON_DETAIL_WP7010_0
WEAPON_DETAIL_WP7010_1
WEAPON_DETAIL_WP7010_2
WEAPON_DETAIL_WP7010_3
Mes_Sys_Weapon_Jill_Figure
WEAPON_NAME_WP7020
WEAPON_DETAIL_WP7020_0
WEAPON_DETAIL_WP7020_1
WEAPON_DETAIL_WP7020_2
WEAPON_DETAIL_WP7020_3

Names and enums for 'figures' of some sort, with references to Albert (Wesker, presumably), Chris and Jill.

Probably some unlockable bonus gallery content that comes with an image viewer to show weapon details for each figure.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Great work, Shifty Shifty

I don't have much frame of reference since I haven't played the demo myself, but this definitely seems like a wealth of information.

Wonder what the sexygun is?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Knowing Capcom, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s EXACTLY what it sounds like haha, a fun that makes the zombies dance sexually, or something daft! Or it could just be a damn cool gun with a cool internal name.

Shifty

Wonder what the sexygun is?
My honest-to-goodness guess is some sort of overpowered multi-lock chargeable laser that makes enemies strike sexy poses with some sort of goofy pink heart particle, lighting and sound effects.
Bonus points if the weapon description somehow justifies it as a manipulation of the target's T-Virus cells as per RE4's P.R.L. 412 arm cannon.

Even more bonus points if it looks like Artemis from DMC3 since that also fires pink multi-lock lasers, but let's be honest, that's probably reaching.

Guess I'll bookmark this in case I get to shout CALLED IT in the OT when the game is out.

Fixed camera bonus mode would be so cool
This game could be gunning for Remake Of All Time if it ships with a fixed camera mode, A/B campaigns and a competent score attack Mercenaries-like component. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Shifty

Looks like Paracelsus Paracelsus has presented some more compelling potential evidence relating the possibility of a fixed-camera mode in the demo thread.

I said god damn.

I thought they went on record saying there would be no A/B campaigns
They did indeed, in this Rely On Horror interview.

It's very possible that what they say is correct, but I see no reason to structure the campaigns as A/B under the hood when rebuilding from scratch.
However, to play devil's advocate, they might have started by implementing A/B 'just in case', then decided that it needed to be streamlined and cut it back for the full game. Only time will tell.

Last edited:

Shifty

Added some more goodies to the OP. Map names.

Edit: And some more evidence in favour of fixed cameras existing in some form.

Edit Edit: And a little bonus about everyone's favourite playstation handheld.

Last edited:
Added some more goodies to the OP. Map names.

Edit: And some more evidence in favour of fixed cameras existing in some form.

Edit Edit: And a little bonus about everyone's favourite playstation handheld.
So PlayStation users can switch from console to mobile life.

I thought they went on record saying there would be no A/B campaigns
Maybe some leftover code?
Well I did see this.
rzgboq0o71b21.png

Capcom already said themself in a interview you have to beat the game with both characters to get the full ending, so this guy may be telling the truth. If true that means Capcom would be right in that it doesn't exactly have A/B scenarios like the original, but you still have the scenario B different starter path to the NPD and the extend ending + boss for the second character like the original.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Doing the Lord’s work, Shifty.
If the FC is real, they’ve got themselves the GOAT remake, finally replacing the REmake.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Chris was in Extreme Battle Mode in RE2 so if it's just for that as a bonus I don't mind otherwise I am fucking tired of that dude being forced into every RE post-5.

nkarafo

Too much "water plant" and "laboratory". In horror games i always prefer the more common areas that i can identify with. Like a house, a hospital, a school, etc. It's why RE1 and older SH games are still my favorites. RE7 was also good but it's final part was the most boring i played in a game like this, only because of the area they chose.

Mines, ugh. They probably went that route because such area is way easier to model, you only need a few repeated textures and no details like furniture and other hand crafted things.

Shifty

By the way, if anyone has ideas for interesting strings to look for within the exe, post them up and I'll have a dig and see if there's anything in there.

Chris Redfield? A character model?

No mention of Jill as a character or sandwich?
Your guess is as good as mine as far as Chris goes.

And no instances of the string "Jill" at all, I'm afraid. She was among the first things I looked for.

Chris was in Extreme Battle Mode in RE2 so if it's just for that as a bonus I don't mind otherwise I am fucking tired of that dude being forced into every RE post-5.
My guess is that he'll show up in a Claire flashback at some point, and probably in a bonus mode as you say. I can't see them futzing with the canon too much since Code Veronica takes place about 1-2 months later in the timeline.

Any bikini/ sexy outfit for Claire and Ada?
I had a poke around for costume stuff, but wasn't able to find any specifics in the exe outside of a bunch of onCostumeChange callback functions and a set of numbered enums that point to who knows what.
My guess is that they're stored in a separate resource file for modularity's sake, easier to add DLC that way if they should choose to.

Mr. X nudes?
Well...
Nope, no zombie smut for you :messenger_savoring:

Last edited:

Aggelos

N Tyrant probably stands for Naked Tyrant. In the first RE game Tyrant was naked all along, but in the second game Tyrant made his initial appearance as being clothed.
And in his 2nd (and final) form, he lost his attire and became naked again.

Top Bottom