• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dave Chappelle tries to give free performance in Portland

Status
Not open for further replies.
mernst23 said:
Which entails him turning his back on his fans. That's cool, I get it; he couldn't take the pressure. But holding CC hostage and demanding they give half the DVD profits for Season 3 to charity if he came back is ridiculous. He was playing hardball in his negotiations from the get go demanding he be paid based on how well S1 and S2 were doing. That's fine, it's business and he deserved to get paid compensation for the fact that S1 and 2 were more popular than anyone could imagine.

Wow, so now asking for profits of a DVD for charity is somehow bad now?

mernst23

samus4ever said:
Wow, so now asking for profits of a DVD for charity is somehow bad now?

I think a company paying for all the creative talent, production, and etc is entitled to make some money. If season three was terrible, Comedy central would've taken it on the chin, then what, would Chapelle pay them back? And it's not the fact that he asked for the profits to be donated to charity, it's that he made this claim after walking off the set and delivered it as an ultimatum.

mernst23 said:
Which entails him turning his back on his fans. That's cool, I get it; he couldn't take the pressure. But holding CC hostage and demanding they give half the DVD profits for Season 3 to charity if he came back is ridiculous. He was playing hardball in his negotiations from the get go demanding he be paid based on how well S1 and S2 were doing. That's fine, it's business and he deserved to get paid compensation for the fact that S1 and 2 were more popular than anyone could imagine.

That son of a bitch!

mernst23 said:
I think a company paying for all the creative talent, production, and etc is entitled to make some money. If season three was terrible, Comedy central would've taken it on the chin, then what, would Chapelle pay them back? And it's not the fact that he asked for the profits to be donated to charity, it's that he made this claim after walking off the set and delivered it as an ultimatum.

You know how much the dicked him over with the shit load of money they made off of his first 2 season DVD sales and not giving him a slice of it? You seemed pissed that he left the show. Shit happens, get over it.

mernst23

samus4ever said:
You know how much the dicked him over with the shit load of money they made off of his first 2 season DVD sales and not giving him a slice of it? You seemed pissed that he left the show. Shit happens, get over it.

You act like he wasn't going to get compensated for that as part of his season 3 and 4 contracts. And if he was so noble about charity, he would've made it a clause in his contract to begin with. The ultimatum he gave was bullshit as soon as he delivered it, it was him trying to endear himself to the public and act like he was noble. Just remember, think of all the people who worked on that show besides him. They all lost their jobs because he couldn't take the pressure. Boo fucking hoo. He'll never get a cent of my money ever again.

Edit: You want a parallel? If Matt Stone and Trey Parker (who are under contract for I believe another 3 seasons) came out and said they were tired of making southpark, and "thank you to all the fans but we're going to move on." I wouldn't be half as upset about it as I am/was about this.

mernst23 said:
You act like he wasn't going to get compensated for that as part of his season 3 and 4 contracts. And if he was so noble about charity, he would've made it a clause in his contract to begin with. The ultimatum he gave was bullshit as soon as he delivered it, it was him trying to endear himself to the public and act like he was noble. Just remember, think of all the people who worked on that show besides him. They all lost their jobs because he couldn't take the pressure. Boo fucking hoo. He'll never get a cent of my money ever again.

Wow, I'm sure he's worried he won't get that extra 20 in the bank.

Dude it's over 4 years ago, get over it.

LCGeek

formerly sane
mernst23 said:

Edit: You want a parallel? If Matt Stone and Trey Parker (who are under contract for I believe another 3 seasons) came out and said they were tired of making southpark, and "thank you to all the fans but we're going to move on." I wouldn't be half as upset about it as I am/was about this.

He was screwed period and decided to stick up for himself. Wanna be angry about bullshit why not knock comedy central for trying to pull a fast one on the creator of one their biggest shows. Takes two to tango and the execs seemed to be dumb about something that really shouldn't have had to come down to begin with.

mernst23

samus4ever said:
That must be why he has so much hate for him not continuing the show.

It's not that he stopped making the show, it's the manner in which he conducted himself during the shows continued delays (due to his actions). And by no means am I saying the CC didn't interfere with his vision or put unnecessary pressure on him to conform to some of their demands for the show. And remember, although Chappelle was the face of the show, there were writers behind the scenes and other talented actors who helped make the show what it was.

Ronok

mernst23 said:
The ultimatum he gave was bullshit as soon as he delivered it, it was him trying to endear himself to the public and act like he was noble. Just remember, think of all the people who worked on that show besides him. They all lost their jobs because he couldn't take the pressure. Boo fucking hoo. He'll never get a cent of my money ever again.

Or it could be that he only saw value in putting up with CC if a shitload of money was going to charity as well. Obviously he didn't care about losing money himself. Really, he probably should have finished the season and left it like that, but it's not like shows never get cancelled by studio's either. If they can do it, the star should probably be able to as well.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Ronok said:
Or it could be that he only saw value in putting up with CC if a shitload of money was going to charity as well. Obviously he didn't care about losing money himself. Really, he probably should have finished the season and left it like that, but it's not like shows never get cancelled by studio's either. If they can do it, the star should probably be able to as well.

Not in whatever fucked up corporations are god world mernst is apparently living in. Why doesn't he not give his money to any corporation that cut jobs?

mernst23

Timedog said:
Not in whatever fucked up corporations are god world mernst is apparently living in. Why doesn't he not give his money to any corporation that cut jobs?

If you sign a contract, you fulfill your contract. I guess the concept of giving someone "your word" is useless these days.

jtb

Banned
I love Dave soooooo much, and I get that he got tired of his popularity and the show and all, but damn if it sucks for the rest of us. Still, this shows that he still has a strong following, I wish him luck (even if I do wish he came back)

Sullen

I can't believe people are still spouting the "he's crazy!" shit, go watch his appearance on Inside the Actors Studio from a while back. He explains himself quite well, and frankly I think what he did makes a hell of a lot of sense once he explained the why of it.

mernst23 said:
If you sign a contract, you fulfill your contract. I guess the concept of giving someone "your word" is useless these days.

Signing a contract is worthless these days. Look at all the sports athletes that sign one and get dropped mid season. It's not like he asked for his money he was owed.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It's not that Chappelle went crazy, but his departure could certainly have been handled more responsibly and aboveboard. It was the opposite of classy.

Anyway, HBO's got Robin Williams doing a new stand-up special for December, it'd be awesome if they could coax Chappelle to do one in the next couple years too.

beatles_rooftop.jpg

Sumidor

I was there last night. It was amazing how a "rumor" got so big, so fast. It was jam packed down there, and definitely an interesting thing to see. But it got ugly around 12:45. Stupid fucking teenages (i'm talking sub-21) were coming there drunk and throwing shit at the stage cause he didn't show up till late. Plus I was stuck to this retarded drunk "hipster/dirty" girl, who kept telling everyone it was her 21st birthday and broke a table cause she wouldn't listen to us when we told her it was unstable. Not only did she fall, but there was a broken jar on the table that could've hurt other people. Then, 5 minutes later, 3 teenagers stood on the thing for like 2 minutes, and the finally collapsed and all 3 of them of fell to the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom