• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Cells : Return to Castlevania DLC coming March 6th

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sounds really good to me! And the hidden level/mode seems really neat.
Cannot wait for this at all,
Patiently awaiting it.
7dhcnh.jpg

I'm definitely a poor Dead Cells player but found the DLC really fun and worth having. Shit, even if I didn't have the other DLC, I would buy this CV DLC in a heartbeat. It seems like lots of people on Steam bought DC + CV DLC as fresh players just because of this crossover.

The most difficulty achievement I have for beating the game is

Up, Guards, and at them again!​

Finish the game with a Boss Stem Cell active.​

Apparently 18% have done that but that is like bare minimum if you're a good DC player. I only have about 50 hours though and have had the game since day 1 of early access.
Maybe when I'm in the need for a new Rogue-like. I just started Returnal last week, so my Rogue-like quota is filled for now.

drotahorror

This is the official new wiki, the fandom wiki will not be updated anymore

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
This is the official new wiki, the fandom wiki will not be updated anymore

Saw it over the weekend that they changed the address. So much better without the ads!

Dipship31

So maybe a dumb question, but how do you actually get to the Castlevania material? Downloaded and installed of course, but when starting up a new save it just takes me through the normal Dead Cells game

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
So maybe a dumb question, but how do you actually get to the Castlevania material? Downloaded and installed of course, but when starting up a new save it just takes me through the normal Dead Cells game
There should be an exit in the first biome that will lead you to the DLC.

Kacho

HOW TO START DEAD CELLS ‘RETURN TO CASTLEVANIA’ DLC

If you’re operating from a fresh playthrough, you’ll need to die three times before starting the Dead Cells DLC. On your next life, a gaggle of bats will fly across your screen. Note that you’re not looking for the typical bats that periodically flutter out of Dead Cells’ caverns — these bats are significantly larger. And redder.
A bunch of bats fly across the screen while the Headless looks for how to start the Dead Cells Castlevania DLC in Prisoner’s Quarters.

Once you see those bats, you’ll be able start Return to Castlevania by talking to Richter. He’s located somewhere in Prisoner’s Quarters, the starting area of all runs. Don’t exit the biome before you’ve chatted with Richter. (Richter’s exact location is indeterminate; Dead Cells levels are procedurally generated in a random fashion every time you reset.)

After you find Richter, he’ll lead you through a series of pathways, which eventually leads to the Castle’s Outskirts biome. Castle’s Outskirts is an alternate pathway for the second biome of your Dead Cells runs. Heads up that it’s noticeably more difficult than the other three options — Toxic Sewers, the Promenade of the Condemned, and the Dilapidated Arboretum — so you’d do well to scour Prisoner’s Quarters for as many level-ups as you can find before proceeding.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Anyone played this yet?
Curious off people's opinions that have played it & the base game prior.
My broke ass will grab this soon 💪

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Played through a couple of the levels - god damn, this is good stuff. I already had all the other DLC, so the "complete" bundle that included only this was marked down on Steam to $7.99. Well worth it for that price. Hell, I probably would have paid $8 just to have the Castlevania music playing while going through this game normally.

Like their other DLCs, it's a bit light on content (can be finished pretty quickly, especially if you already have a ton of other stuff unlocked). However, because it's integrated into the main game, there is a lot of replayability here. Like, I imagine I'll opt to run through the Castlevania levels at random on a regular run.

The Alucard Sword is amazingly good. Probably now my favorite Dead Cells weapon, honestly.

Jinzo Prime

Hey Konami, here's an idea:
Why don't you ask this team or any other 2d retro platformer indie designers to make a new Castlevania for you? There's dozens of indie teams making games like this.

I mean, this is nice, but you're leaving money on the table. People want a new game!

Last edited:

Saiyan-Rox

Bought this game years ago and never managed to finish it

This dlc has me intrigued

Can you start it right away?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Bought this game years ago and never managed to finish it

This dlc has me intrigued

Can you start it right away?
You have to die in three regular runs first. Takes anywhere from 1-45 minutes (depending on your skill level, lower = lower time).

Then you can access the DLC level.

xVodevil

Well, clearly there's a team to make a brand new entry in this style!
This is absolutely fantastic quality! But.. sadly at the same time, extremely disappointing how little content it is..
Either way.. after this tease it is clearly the perfect moment to do something with the franchise Konami, like right now!

xrnzaaas

Is the difficulty increased compared to the base game? Because I feel like it was close to the limit of my skill (and patience ;)).

Last edited:
Top Bottom