• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadhaus Sonata Announced from Eternal Darkness, Legacy of Kain Creator Denis Dyack.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/1...l-darkness-legacy-of-kain-creator-denis-dyack

Denis Dyack – creator of Legacy of Kain, Eternal Darkness, and Too Human – has announced a new game, called Deadhaus Sonata, from his new development studio, Apocalypse. It’ll be a free-to-play action-RPG for PC and “targeting all platforms.” And according to Dyack, it will blend the best of what he’s done before.

“We are combining elements of many of my past games into Deadhaus Sonata,” Dyack told IGN. “Deadhaus Sonata is a cooperative multiplayer, free-to-play RPG where you are an unstoppable force of the dead. There are Lovecraftian overtones from Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem, the gothic role-playing elements of Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, where you are undead, and finally, some the action RPG elements of Too Human.” Apocalypse described Deadhaus as “a combination of fast action, loot collection, and deep gothic lore [that] is sure to usher in a universe where gamers can explore a dark mythology like none other.”

Deadhaus Sonata is using Amazon’s Lumberyard game technology, and for now, it has no release date as of yet – “We are still in the very early stages of development and don’t plan on announcing a release date for quite some time,” Dyack said.

Reactions: Fuz

HeresJohnny

I watched the teaser and was down until I read “free to play” and “cooperative multiplayer”. Hard pass for me.

What ever happened to the other Dyack game he tried to crowdfund that looked like a spiritual successor to Eternal Darkness?
My exact thoughts. Cooperative multiplayer? Pass.

I watched the teaser and was down until I read “free to play” and “cooperative multiplayer”. Hard pass for me.

What ever happened to the other Dyack game he tried to crowdfund that looked like a spiritual successor to Eternal Darkness?

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Eternal Darkness remains one of my all time favorite games, what a shame we never got a worthy follow up.

Hanon

Banned
dyack is seriously not the luckiest guy in the industry, despite his neogaf meltdown from back in the day. i wish him the best.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Dyack has dropped quite a bit... Just finished Eternal Darkness for the first time this year and man, what a masterpiece that game is. And now he‘s making... well... whatever that it.

TeamGhobad

Banned
feel bad for roasting him before, but i guess we gamers have all matured. wish him the best and im actually interested in this new project.

It’s too bad that Dyack has been stuck in limbo without releasing a game for so long. Let’s hope this one is good, but I wish he could have made Shadow of the Eternals instead.

Hectic multiplayer games don’t really lend themselves to deep stories.

Last edited:

hunthunt

Banned
I hope he does well. I laughed and shitted him like everybody else in the day but the man sure has some talent.

CAB_Life

I’m generally not a negative person—as there’s enough shitposting on the internet—but that gameplay slice was rough. Like Pirranah Bytes alpha footage levels of jank. Or a scrapped Spiders game.

I‘ll keep an eye on it, as I love dark fantasy, but atm none of this looks terribly compelling.

plushyp

It’s too bad that Dyack has been stuck in limbo without releasing a game for so long. Let’s hope this one is good, but I wish he could have made Shadow of the Eternals instead.
From what I vaguely remember, Dyack tried Kickstarter twice for SotE but it failed both times because of him burning too many bridges in the industry. Don't know much beyond that though.

MiguelItUp

I’m generally not a negative person—as there’s enough shitposting on the internet—but that gameplay slice was rough. Like Pirranah Bytes alpha footage levels of jank. Or a scrapped Spiders game.

I‘ll keep an eye on it, as I love dark fantasy, but atm none of this looks terribly compelling.
Ditto. I mean, early footage, but it looks incredibly rough across the board...

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I’d be all over this if it was a single player dark fantasy RPG. But, I have less than zero interest in a free to play multiplayer game.

I don’t think this was a smart decision on his part.

jdforge

Banned
Characters look like they’re whizzing about on roller skates to me.

Hard pass on this.

Such a shame to see the creator of ED churn out a game like this. ED is an absolute masterpiece and I wish SK had remained close to Nintendo. We might have had an ED sequel.

Make Too Human 2. There was so much promise in that series. A true hack and slash co-op loot game, which played better with a controller and could have rivaled Diablo, had it had enough time in the oven.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I loved Legacy of Kain, but this looks like garbage and the Twitch integration being a major selling point is off-putting to me.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I think Denis needs a guru of sorts to set him on the straight and narrow. I’m available. I’m an ideas man too, so you get double the bang for your buck.

I only work from home, though. I’m not moving to Canada. I don’t do Skype either, so we’ll have to find another solution. I’m also unavailable 8am - 11am Monday through Sunday. I’m generally drunk or getting drunk in the evenings. But, we’ve got a solid window of about 5-6 hours a day to work on it. Whatever we come up with, I am certain it will be more successful than a fucking free to play, multiplayer RPG.

Anyway, call me.

element

That is what they decide to show after being in develoment a minimum of 9 months? WOW! That is embarassing. I've seen week long game jams with better stuff...

Top Bottom