• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death penalty dropped against Mumia Abu-Jamal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Prosecutors on Wednesday abandoned their 30-year pursuit of the execution of convicted police killer Mumia Abu-Jamal, the former Black Panther whose claim that he was the victim of a racist legal system made him an international cause celebre.

Abu-Jamal, 58, will instead spend the rest of his life in prison. His writings and radio broadcasts from death row had put him at the center of an international debate over capital punishment.

Flanked by Officer Daniel Faulkner's widow, Philadelphia District Attorney Seth Williams announced his decision two days short of the 30th anniversary of the white policeman's killing.

He said continuing to seek the death penalty could lead to "an unknowable number of years" of appeals, and that some witnesses have died or are unavailable after nearly three decades.

"There's never been any doubt in my mind that Mumia Abu-Jamal shot and killed Officer Faulkner. I believe that the appropriate sentence was handed down by a jury of his peers in 1982," said Williams, the city's first black district attorney. "While Abu-Jamal will no longer be facing the death penalty, he will remain behind bars for the rest of his life, and that is where he belongs."

Abu-Jamal was originally sentenced to death. His murder conviction was upheld through years of appeals. But in 2008, a federal appeals court ordered a new sentencing hearing on the grounds that the instructions given to the jury were potentially misleading.

After the U.S. Supreme Court declined to weigh in two months ago, prosecutors were forced to decide whether to pursue the death penalty again or accept a life sentence without parole.

Williams said he reached the decision with the blessing of Faulkner's widow, Maureen.

"Another penalty proceeding would open the case to the repetition of the state appeals process and an unknowable number of years of federal review again, even if we were successful," the district attorney said.

Widener University law professor Judith Ritter, who represented Abu-Jamal in recent appeals, welcomed the move.

"There is no question that justice is served when a death sentence from a misinformed jury is overturned," Ritter said. "Thirty years later, the district attorney's decision not to seek a new death sentence also furthers the interests of justice."

According to trial testimony, Abu-Jamal saw his brother scuffle with the patrolman during a 4 a.m. traffic stop in 1981 and ran toward the scene. Police found Abu-Jamal wounded by a round from Faulkner's gun. Faulkner, shot several times, was killed. A .38-caliber revolver registered to Abu-Jamal was found at the scene with five spent shell casings.

Over the years, Abu-Jamal challenged the predominantly white makeup of the jury, the instructions given to the jurors and the accounts of eyewitnesses. He also said that his lawyer was ineffective, that the judge was racist and that another man confessed to the crime.

The one-time journalist's own 1995 book, "Live From Death Row," depicts prison life and calls the justice system racist.

He got worldwide support from the "Free Mumia" movement, with hundreds of vocal supporters and death-penalty opponents regularly turning out for court hearings in his case.

His message resonated on college campuses and in Hollywood. Actors Mike Farrell and Tim Robbins were among dozens of luminaries who used a New York Times ad to call for a new trial, and the Beastie Boys played a concert to raise money for Abu-Jamal's defense.
Faulkner's widow labored to ensure her husband was not forgotten.

"My family and I have endured a three-decade ordeal at the hands of Mumia Abu-Jamal, his attorneys and his supporters, who in many cases never even took the time to educate themselves about the case before lending their names, giving their support and advocating for his freedom," she said Wednesday. "All of this has taken an unimaginable physical, emotional and financial toll on each of us."

Amnesty International, which maintains that Abu-Jamal's trial was "manifestly unfair and failed to meet international fair trial standards," said the district attorney's decision does not go far enough. Abu-Jamal still has an appeal pending before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court over the validity of ballistics evidence.

"Amnesty International continues to believe that justice would best be served by granting Mumia Abu-Jamal a new trial," said Laura Moye, director of the human rights group's Campaign to Abolish the Death Penalty.

Members of Philadelphia's police community stood with Williams and Maureen Faulkner as the decision was announced. Former police union president Rich Costello criticized the courts for ordering a new sentencing hearing.

"Where do Maureen and the Faulkner family go for a reduction in their sentence?" Costello said. "For 30 years now, they have been forced to suffer grief, anguish, abuse, insults, intimidation, threats and every other sort of indignity that can be visited on a family already in grief."

Faulkner lashed out at the judges who overturned the death sentence, calling them "dishonest cowards" who, she said, oppose the death penalty. The widow also vowed to fight any special treatment for Abu-Jamal behind bars, saying he should be moved to the general population after being taken off death row.

"I will not stand by and see him coddled, as he has been in the past," Faulkner said. "And I am heartened that he will be taken from the protective cloister he has been living in all these years and begin living among his own kind — the thugs and common criminals that infest our prisons."

Story Here

Polari

I'm against the death penalty, but the evidence is pretty conclusive that the fucker did it. Hope he rots in prison. Makes me sick how he became such a cause célèbre.

totowhoa

Banned
Seriously, I'm a bit surprised by the lack of response.

Saw this here earlier today on my phone and I was surprised as well.

This is fantastic news. I doubt he'll ever make it out of prison, but it's really great that this guy is going to continue to be able to have a voice. I wasn't expecting this.

mf.luder

Brick by brick,
Wall by wall,
Something something
Free mumia abu Jamal.

Brings me back to a distinct memory in high school.

Gaborn

I'm against the death penalty, but the evidence is pretty conclusive that the fucker did it. Hope he rots in prison. Makes me sick how he became such a cause célèbre.

I think it's a bit like the Che Guevera chic. He's popular because of the groundswell around his image and the way he's conducted himself. Whether you think he did it or you think he didn't it became "cool" to support him and that translated into ASSUMING that the trial was a sham. Do I think he's guilty or not? I don't know. I haven't looked at all the evidence. I do think some of the hype around him is over done though.

Hammer

About time. I was really starting to think they were not going to let him go. I'm in the car so I didn't read the whole pose but I hope that they compensate him for his time. Immortal technique must be thrilled!

Big-E

About time. I was really starting to think they were not going to let him go. I'm in the car so I didn't read the whole pose but I hope that they compensate him for his time. Immortal technique must be thrilled!

He is still getting life. I feel sorry for the cops family who have had to deal with all this stuff for thirty years. They probably have had people say some nasty shit to them over this issue for no reason at all. The justice system is so crazy fucked up. I think everyone should need to read Homicide: Life on the Killing Streets to get a sense what it takes police to do in order to get a conviction on a murder charge.

yeah they're going to let him go (rot in jail for the rest of his life)

anybody who thinks the legal system is fair has never dealt with it in any capacity

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
6356_immortaltechnique.jpg

canvee

Have never heard of this case since i'm not from America and wasn't even born yet when it happened. Judging from the responses in this thread though, can I assume that most believe he didn't kill the officer?

Leucrota

Have never heard of this case since i'm not from America and wasn't even born yet when it happened. Judging from the responses in this thread though, can I assume that most believe he didn't kill the officer?

Even if he did kill the police officer, there seem to be major problems with how the justice system worked in this particular case.

What I don't get is why killing one police officer results in a death sentence.

Not to say what he did wasn't wrong, it's just that every time I hear about this case, I always end up thinking "Was what he did that bad?"

I mean, every time he's mentioned on the news they address him as "Convicted Cop Killer, Mumia Abu-Jamal" and I go "OK, so he killed a cop." Seems heartless on my part but, unless he did it in some horrific fashion, I don't think it warrants a death sentence.

FyreWulff

Good. The death penalty is barbaric and should not be practiced. We're above petty revenge and our system is not perfect.

canvee

Even if he did kill the police officer, there seem to be major problems with how the justice system worked in this particular case.

Okay, gotcha.

I guess that's why many people are against the death penalty. It wouldn't be right to end the life of somebody who may actually be innocent. The court system isn't perfect and that's why we must ensure that everyone receives a fair trial, especially when the fate of other lives are involved. On another note, a Filipino drug smuggler was unfortunately just executed in China despite appeals from the Philippines government. I'm sure the opposing claims to the South China sea didn't help.

Gaborn

What I don't get is why killing one police officer results in a death sentence.

Not to say what he did wasn't wrong, it's just that every time I hear about this case, I always end up thinking "Was what he did that bad?"

I mean, every time he's mentioned on the news they address him as "Convicted Cop Killer, Mumia Abu-Jamal" and I go "OK, so he killed a cop." Seems heartless on my part but, unless he did it in some horrific fashion, I don't think it warrants a death sentence.

The police have to deal with the worst of the worst of people. a lot of them risk their lives on a regular basis. Any traffic stop could lead to a shooting. Any time they break down a door of a crack house they could be met with a shotgun blast. There are often times when police have abused authority, used excessive force, and generally been out of control. I think sometimes people see THAT and then blame all cops and lose respect for them, but I don't think that's fair.

The reason killing a cop is generally a capitol crime is as a deterrent. Just like murder being generally a life sentence is considered a deterrent. Someone may be a burglar, but they don't want to go down for murder. Someone might be a rapist, might be dealing crack to kids, but at least they never killed anybody.

It's worse when they kill a cop though because at that point there really isn't any other barrier to their actions. By making it known that killing a police officer is a death sentence the hope is you're giving violent people just THAT much reason to not try it even if they're frightened, even if they're startled.

I think though in general people need to realize that even though there are a lot of power mad "bad cops" out there there are MORE good cops that do a good job because I think that is at the root of at least some of the sympathy for Mumia and willingness to believe he has to be innocent. I don't think this is CLOSE to what happened to, for example, Cory Maye or Kathryn Johnston.

I'm a liberal, but I do support the death penalty, properly applied. I think Mumia is guilty, but there's enough ambiguity in the circumstances that I wouldn't see him executed.

I think though in general people need to realize that even though there are a lot of power mad "bad cops" out there there are MORE good cops that do a good job because I think that is at the root of at least some of the sympathy for Mumia and willingness to believe he has to be innocent.

I don't understand this sentence. Reword?

Gaborn

I'm a liberal, but I do support the death penalty, properly applied. I think Mumia is guilty, but there's enough ambiguity in the circumstances that I wouldn't see him executed.

I don't understand this sentence. Reword?

I think that some of the support Mumia receives is because people dislike the police. I'm not saying that's all of his support, but I think that is at least part of it. People need to realize that most of the time you never hear about the good work by police officers, you only hear about the corrupt abusive assholes which gives you a distorted picture.

bbagwell

I'm sure the guy is heartbroken. How much rage can be mustered for a boring sentence like life without parole? I give his t-shirt and podcast empire a few weeks at best. Then he'll get bored talking to himself and have to look for birds.

Oh, and when I cared 20 years ago, I thought he was guilty. I also lost all respect for the celebrities who wanted to idolize him at the expense of the Faulkner family.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I wasn't alive when this happened, but having read up on the case just now, why the hell is everybody so convinced he was innocent? I'm not saying the prosecution's case was rock solid, and probably not worthy of death, but he seems guilty to me.

I wasn't alive when this happened, but having read up on the case just now, why the hell is everybody so convinced he was innocent? I'm not saying the prosecution's case was rock solid, and probably not worthy of death, but he seems guilty to me.

Sometimes it's just cool to get behind a cause, man.

I think that some of the support Mumia receives is because people dislike the police. I'm not saying that's all of his support, but I think that is at least part of it. People need to realize that most of the time you never hear about the good work by police officers, you only hear about the corrupt abusive assholes which gives you a distorted picture.

Ah. Agreed. Thanks for the clarification.

I wasn't alive when this happened, but having read up on the case just now, why the hell is everybody so convinced he was innocent? I'm not saying the prosecution's case was rock solid, and probably not worthy of death , but he seems guilty to me.

I've only read a little on the case myself, but yeah, there's not a rock solid case that he's innocent. The reason it gets the attention it does is for the bolded. Some dubious things happened during his trial and appeals, and given the amount of evidence in lieu of his sentence, he became a poster child for injustice in cases of police murder. Did he actually do it? I honestly have no idea, the degree of evidence leaves room for interpretation which is reason enough to object to the sentence.

I've only read a little on the case myself, but yeah, there's not a rock solid case that he's innocent. The reason it gets the attention it does is for the bolded. Some dubious things happened during his trial and appeals, and given the amount of evidence in lieu of his sentence, he became a poster child for injustice in cases of police murder. Did he actually do it? I honestly have no idea, the degree of evidence leaves room for interpretation which is reason enough to object to the sentence.

i dont know this case well enough to comment specifically, but there doesnt have to be a rock solid case for someone's innocence. there does have to a rock solid case for someone's guilt.

i dont know this case well enough to comment specifically, but there doesnt have to be a rock solid case for someone's innocence. there does have to a rock solid case for someone's guilt.

Agreed, I was just trying to phrase it in a manner that explained why it gets taken the way it does. That part was more for all the people who say he might have did it, and let that sway their judgement on the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom