• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Decemberists/Okkervil River live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mifune

Mehmber
Decemberists were very good. Not as loose and energetic as when I saw them last year, but still good. They need some time to let the new members gel and to get used to their new equipment. Highlights were The Bagman's Gambit, Mariner's Revenge Song, and the motherfuckin' Tain!! New member and former Rental Petra Haden led a cover of Wuthering Heights, which sounded good.

Okkervil River was mostly awful. I'm a fan of their recorded stuff, but they were drunk, sloppy, out of tune, out of sync, and just plain cringe-inducing. Funny thing is, I can tell that if they had their shit together, they could play an amazing set. Oh well...

And god I felt old at this show. Everybody around me and my friends looked to be 12 years old. Good times.

That's disappointing to hear about Okkervil River. Same exact thing happened when I saw Trail of Dead a few years back on the Source Tags tour. That show just left me pissed, and the crowd was pretty made up of a bunch of morons who just came to see them smash up their guitars.

I'm so out of the loop concerning the Decemberists. Rachel is gone!?! Fuck man, she was awesome live.

Mifune

Mehmber
Yeah, that's another thing. The new drummer isn't as good as Rachel. Not even close. But he's new, so I'm sure he'll get there eventually.

=W=

Can't wait. Going to see them in Atlanta and Nashville. And I've been a big fan of Petra Haden for a while. I still listen to that dog's Retreat from the Sun quite frequently.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
=W= said:
Can't wait. Going to see them in Atlanta and Nashville. And I've been a big fan of Petra Haden for a while. I still listen to that dog's Retreat from the Sun quite frequently.
I'll be at the Nashville show too, I'm sad we're missing Okkervil River though.

yeah, I was dissapointed by Okkervil River, but the Decemberists were great. Loved the Petra's cover song (wuthering heights). and....the tain! The drummer isn't as good as Rachel, but he wasn't horrible. Except in We Both Go Down Together...was it just me or did he keep losing time in that song?

Mifune

Mehmber
I actually didn't notice the drummer messing up during We Both Go Down Together. But I did notice that fuckin' Colin's snare rolls were crisper and more military-like during the Tain. When the singer's drumming skills show up those of your actual drummer, something is wrong.

And that "Black" song is simply awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom