• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Delta Air Lines Bans Trump Supporter for Disrupting Flight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Delta Air Lines Bans Trump Supporter for Disrupting Flight

Delta Air Lines has banned a disruptive passenger who shouted pro-Donald Trump and anti-Hillary Clinton remarks at fellow passengers on a flight from Atlanta to Allentown, Pa., last week, the airline’s chief executive said on Monday.

The chief executive, Edward H. Bastian, said in a memo published on Delta’s website that other travelers on the Nov. 22nd flight would receive refunds for their tickets.

“This individual displayed behavior that was loud, rude and disrespectful to his fellow customers,” Mr. Bastian said in the statement. He added, “We must require civility on our planes and in our facilities.”

The decision by Delta came after the airline received criticism on social media for its initial response to the episode, which a passenger identified as Emma Baum videotaped and released online and to news organizations.

Ms. Baum was quoted by The Morning Call on Nov. 26 as saying that she had first noticed the man, who was not identified, shouting pro-Trump slogans in the terminal while waiting to board Flight 248. The man ended up sitting next to her, and she told him she had been out of the country and asked him about the election, she said.

Ms. Baum told The Morning Call that as the man became animated, jumping out of his seat, she began recording him with her cellphone. In the video, the man is seen clapping his hands and shouting at other passengers.

He says in part: “Donald Trump, baby! We got some Hillary bitches on this plane?”

The man also yelled: “Donald Trump! It’s your president. Every goddamn one of you. If you don’t like it, too bad.”

A Daily Beast writer was also provided with a copy of the video.

fter the video was posted online, Delta Air Lines issued a statement on Nov. 26, apologizing to customers for the disruption and saying, “We have followed up with the teams involved and all agree that this customer should not have been allowed to continue on the flight.”

Mr. Bastian said in the statement on Monday: “After questioning the customer, our team members made the best decision they could given the information they had and allowed him to remain on the flight.”

He added, “If our colleagues had witnessed firsthand what was shown in the video, there is no question they would have removed him from the aircraft. He will never again be allowed on a Delta plane.”

The video was shared widely online, with many commentators noting that the man, who is white, was not ejected from the flight, but that passengers who are Muslim, Sikh, African-American and other races and ethnicities have been subjected to extra scrutiny or outright removal by various airlines while engaging in routine activities.

“This individual displayed behavior that was loud, rude and disrespectful to his fellow customers,” Mr. Bastian said in the statement. He added, “We must require civility on our planes and in our facilities.”

so this is why trump goes everywhere in a private jet

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm actually glad that racism and stupidity are being aired out. Fresh air is the best disinfectant.

So basically they did nothing at the time and banned him after people made a stink. Way to go Delta.

Uh, giving everyone refunds plus banning him for life is a pretty solid move. The refunds went above and beyond.

And regardless, this is a much better response than we have seen in general from shit-tier people. Who usually escape with no punishment or a slap on the wrist.

Somehow this lunatic was still allowed to fly even though he was in the terminal shouting this shit. Yet people get kicked off flights for wearing "offensive" clothing, speaking another language, and doing math if they even have the slightest brown skin.

But I guess the refunds was a nice gesture. He still should have been kicked out then.

Uh, giving everyone refunds plus banning him for life is a pretty solid move. The refunds went above and beyond.

And regardless, this is a much better response than we have seen in general from shit-tier people. Who usually escape with no punishment or a slap on the wrist.

You are right its better than nothing but its still damage control. Giving out like 10k in refunds is nothing to a multi billion dollar corporation.

Levyne

Banned
Yo, Allentown voted overwhelmingly for Clinton though.

The suburbs, tho...

Atlanta is very liberal too
2GX3xlF.png

So how most every company reacts to these situations?
Nah. We've seen plenty of stories of people simply being black on a plane or Muslims wearing their religious garb, someone speaking a language other than English and being tossed off the plane because someone felt 'uncomfortable' this dude does his best impression of a drunk, possibly violent idiot and nothing happens to him until Delta had people on their ass after the video.

Phreaker

Good! I saw that video over the weekend on Twitter, the dude was a piece of shit - talk about a bunch of sore winners FFS

Korey

Isn't the refund because it happened before take off and they didn't kick him off the flight? That's their fault.

And they would have if he were any other race.

Nah. We've seen plenty of stories of people simply being black on a plane or Muslims wearing their religious garb, someone speaking a language other than English and being tossed off the plane because someone felt 'uncomfortable' this dude does his best impression of a drunk, possibly violent idiot and nothing happens to him until Delta had people on their ass after the video.

Exactly

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

I suppose I wasn't thinking of this in terms of airlines as many companies won't react to these kind of things till after the fact and until it blows up on social media or the news or some such.

Isn't the refund because it happened before take off and they didn't kick him off the flight? That's their fault.

And they would have if he were any other race.

You are right its better than nothing but its still damage control. Giving out like 10k in refunds is nothing to a multi billion dollar corporation.

Yeah, that's fair. You're all completely right. I guess I'm just shocked they made a move at all here.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm actually glad that racism and stupidity are being aired out. Fresh air is the best disinfectant.

Too bad all of the Trump supporters I know think that all of these stories are fake or involve Democrat-paid plants.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Bad look, Delta. Do better.

Trumplings will surely spin this as bias towards them too.

I'd be surprised if Brietbart doesn't already have a DELTA BANS MAN FOR SUPPORTING TRUMP headline.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Bad look when it's where the delta headquarters is. Heading there tomorrow actually. Wonder if it'll come up.

Dabanton

There seems to have been a real rise in some white people having meltdowns and shouting about voting for Trump. Saw another story about a white woman screaming about having to pay for a bag and screaming that she voted Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom