• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Depressing story about 100 year old pacifist farm being destroyed by Israeli gov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuchsdh

But you don't understand, the Israeli's have a legal document older than the family's that says the land belonged to them. It's called the Bible.

And God specifically said to murder the previous inhabitants to take it over. That's pretty ironclad that it's supposed to be theirs.

Jado

Banned
This is pretty much what happened to the relatives of a Palestinian friend of mine. His family had a nice, profitable olive farm... before the IDF came, destroyed it and forced them off the land to build settlements. I can't blame him for his burning hatred of Israel.

M3d10n

I'd find a way to irreversibly poison the land and water and leave. Fuck that shit. I believe the only way to truly stop this conflict is for that whole place to sink into the ocean so there's nothing left to dispute.

I'd find a way to irreversibly poison the land and water and leave. Fuck that shit. I believe the only way to truly stop this conflict is for that whole place to sink into the ocean so there's nothing left to dispute.
No! In a World where Palm Tree islands can be made there are only obstacles that we have created that stand in the way of building shared spaces, literally and figuratively.

So, this isn't a rhetorical question, but can someone please explain to me why the US supports Israel? I've yet to read anything positive about them and the constant bully tactics they employ. Everything about the gaza strip has been disgusting. Is it that they're simply a strategic ally in the region? Is that enough to justify turning a blind eye to everything they've done and continue to do?

So, this isn't a rhetorical question, but can someone please explain to me why the US supports Israel? I've yet to read anything positive about them and the constant bully tactics they employ. Everything about the gaza strip has been disgusting. Is it that they're simply a strategic ally in the region? Is that enough to justify turning a blind eye to everything they've done and continue to do?

Money money money!

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

Israel has an existential problem. It wants to be recognised as a 'Jewish State' in order to control Arab demographics. The 2-state solution cannot therefore have a 'right to return' agreement; Israel would soon become an Arab-majority population, and thus the decades of trying to build a Jewish Israel would be ruined.

You cannot have peace there as well as have a Jewish Israel, and as we can all tell, the status quo cannot continue. It's not good for the Palestinians and it's not good for Israel.

from State:
U.S.-ISRAEL RELATIONS

The United States was the first country to recognize Israel as a state in 1948. Since then, Israel has become, and remains, America’s most reliable partner in the Middle East. Israel and the United States are bound closely by historic and cultural ties as well as by mutual interests.

Israel's founding was preceded by more than 50 years of efforts to establish a sovereign state as a homeland for the Jewish people. The1917 Balfour Declaration asserted the British Government's support for the creation “in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people.” Following the end of World War I (1914-1918), the League of Nations entrusted Great Britain with the Mandate for Palestine. Immediately after the end of British mandate on May 14, 1948, the State of Israel was proclaimed, and the U.S. recognized Israel that same day. Arabs in the Mandatory and neighboring Arab states rejected a 1947 UN partition plan that would have divided the Mandatory into separate Jewish and Arab states, and the area has seen periods of invasions and armed conflict since 1948.

The United States is committed to realizing the vision of a two state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict: an independent, viable and contiguous Palestinian state as the homeland of the Palestinian people, alongside the Jewish State of Israel. In July 2013 the Israelis and the Palestinians began negotiations on a final status agreement between the parties.

U.S. Assistance to Israel

The U.S.-Israel bilateral relationship is strong, anchored by over $3 billion in Foreign Military Financing annually. In addition to financial support, the U.S. participates in a high level of exchanges with Israel, to include joint military exercises, military research, and weapons development. Through the Joint Counterterrorism Group and a semi-annual Strategic Dialogue, the U.S. and Israel have enhanced their cooperation in fighting terrorism.

Bilateral Economic Relations

The United States is Israel's largest single trading partner. The top five U.S. exports to Israel are: diamonds, machinery, agricultural products, aircraft, and optic and medical instruments. The top five U.S. imports from Israel are: diamonds, pharmaceutical products, machinery, optic and medical instruments, and agricultural products. U.S. direct investment in Israel is primarily in the manufacturing sector, as is Israeli investment in the United States. The United States and Israel have had a free trade agreement since 1985, serving as the foundation for expanding trade and investment between the two countries by reducing barriers and promoting regulatory transparency. To facilitate economic cooperation, the two countries convene a Joint Economic Development Group each year to discuss economic conditions in both countries and possible economic reforms for the coming year.

The U.S. and Israel also coordinate scientific and cultural exchanges through the Binational Science Foundation, the Binational Agricultural Research and Development Foundation, and the U.S.-Israeli Education Foundation.

Israel's Membership in International Organizations

Israel and the United States belong to a number of the same international organizations, including the United Nations, Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, International Monetary Fund, World Bank, and World Trade Organization. Israel also is a Partner for Cooperation with the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe and an observer to the Organization of American States.
[...]
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/3581.htm

The relationship runs deeper than economics and lobbyists. Its hard to explain something that seems like geopolitical fraternity on an individual level without generalizing. Go through the events of the last half of the Twentieth Century and see how things like the Munich Masacre ('72 Olympics where Israeli athletes were held hostage and murdered) or the US marines killed in Beruit in 1983 [shaped the opinions of many]. Its not very apt but Israel has been referred to as the 51st state.

Keep in mind that Palestinian human rights causes had not gained worldwide attention until the later part of the Twentieth Century. Media was different, no internet. There was a Cold War where good guys and bad guys were defined by political ideology. Two or three generations of people grew up with that worldview. Its simple in that it just happened that way but its complicated because of the environments that all of this was happening in.

Dude Abides

Banned
Israel has an existential problem. It wants to be recognised as a 'Jewish State' in order to control Arab demographics. The 2-state solution cannot therefore have a 'right to return' agreement; Israel would soon become an Arab-majority population, and thus the decades of trying to build a Jewish Israel would be ruined.

You cannot have peace there as well as have a Jewish Israel, and as we can all tell, the status quo cannot continue. It's not good for the Palestinians and it's not good for Israel.

Occasional flareups like the present one notwithstanding, the status quo is perfectly manageable for Israel. The most likely outcome is that eventually settlers will occupy the most valuable portions of the west bank and Israel will annex those tracts and leave the scraps to the Palestinians to do with what they wish.

Like I feel bad for them. Fuck them, they are probably terrorists anyway.

EDIT - Wait Christians? But Christians can't be terrorists. The government and Christian groups say that Israel's government is friend to the Christian community. This article is a lie! A lie!

Happens all the fucking time in history. It's one thing to escape the persecution of others, but another to be genuinely interested in tolerance and freedom. Rhode Island was created because the Pilgrims were assholes to those who didn't share their views.

Wasn't Liberia founded by former slaves who preceded to...enslave the population there? Serious question, I've heard it from somewhere but couldn't find much information on the early history of Liberia.

SystemBug

man fuck this shit. And nobody does anything. Fucking Stephen Harper here is bending over backwards and rimjobs Isreal. What the fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom