• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dev behind massive Skyrim multiplayer mod turns their hands to Starfield, gives up says "this game is f***ing trash,"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugoth

Gold Member
9DX89cX8h6Rh4yre8nELVY-970-80.jpg.webp

"I'm not gonna put my heart and soul into a mod for a game as mediocre as this"

One of the Skyrim Together developers has taken to the project’s dedicated Discord server to tell everyone how the short-lived project came to be. Cosideci explains that they were so excited about the idea for Starfield Together that they spent launch day and beyond reverse-engineering the space RPG and porting over gameplay hooks from Skyrim to get a co-op mod together.

It wasn’t until they ported about 70% of Skyrim Together’s revered code to the Starfield project, though, that they bumped into a problem: “This game is fucking trash.”

“I didn't realize this until after I actually started playing the damn game a week after launch,” they say. “The game is boring, bland, and the main draw of Bethesda games, exploration in a lively and handcrafted world, was completely gone.

“Anyways, everyone already knows this, most people agree. There's no need to further repeat the point, just read any of the dozens of reviews online. That said, I won't be continuing development on Starfield Together. I'm not gonna put my heart and soul into a mod for a game as mediocre as this.”

Source

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Yep. The bag of Doritos that gave me a free month of GP saved me from buying Starfield.
I notice it’s already under $50 on Steam. People trying to sell keys were down to $25 asking price.

That tells you all you need to know.

Thirty7ven

Banned
It really is and after playing hours of it I’m speechless that anybody likes this. Lifeless, devoid of personality, basic aspects of the gameplay are subpar, a whole lot of loadings, and it’s like the game barely moves if you know what I’m saying? It was shocking to see Atlantis and it looking like a high res 360 “town” (city LOL).

After playing it I knew there was no way this was going to be saved by mods because there’s no decent loop here. Are people expecting mods to make a new game? They usually use what’s there and improve but there’s barely anything here.

From my experience it takes dedication to finish this game.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I enjoyed the game but I kinda agree with him. What I wanted from Starfield was to be this generation’s Skyrim: a game that felt like it was filled with limitless potential, that you could come back to again and again and that would be cherished for many years.

What I got was a fun but safe, same-y, design-by-committee Bethesda RPG that traded open-world exploration for so-so shipbuilding and base building mechanics. I played for 60 hours and beat the game but I don’t feel anything really pulling me back to it for another run.

Raven117

My problem is not that it's lifeless. I actually prefer that version of space and I love the barrenness of it. My biggest problem is the god awful loading screens and the way you travel around from planet to planet.
Yup. It didn't even let you settle into the lonliness of it. No Mans' Sky does it. Its barren most of the time. And much more compelling.

Bethesda knows damn well they bit off more than they could chew on that old engine of theirs, and when they realized it...it was too late.

Dude doesn't like game. Cool I guess?
If by dude you mean modder who helped build multiplayer into skyrim and by doesn't like the game you mean gave up on a similar mod for starfield more than halfway through development, you are correct.

As is, I think you are understating things substantially for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom