• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did anyone else attend TGS 2023?

supernova8

Banned
Some things I noticed:

- Waaay busier than last year (presumably because there are no longer any COVID vaccine certificate requirements etc to come into Japan + fewer Japanese people refraining from going out)
- Somewhat larger presence from Chinese and Korean companies
- No-shows from Playstation, Xbox, and Nintendo again
- Lack of any remotely next-gen looking games with the sole exception of FF7 Rebirth (which we've already seen plenty of anyway)
- Otaku fat guys with their gigantic cameras, lighting equipment and bulky backpacks are dickheads for constantly blocking walkways (that are otherwise wide/spacious enough) while taking photos of booth babes
- Japanese people (mainly guys given the demographics) seem to have no interest in taking photos with booth babes, they just take photos of them. Some of those dudes seem reallyyyy fuckin creepy but the booth babes handle it really well. I found it really weird.
- Lots of hot booth babes
- The hoops to jump through in order to get free merch are getting increasingly silly: "Follow our twitter, take a photo of our booth, tweet at us with that photo, hashtag bla bla bla then you can have this little shit sticker" fuck offffffffffffffffffff. They used to hand out energy drinks unconditionally now even those are behind the "twitter wall".
- The indie game section was in a completely different building this year (not last year) so I ended up spending ages just trying to fuckin find it after giving up on being able to play any of the "big" stuff (the waiting times were insane....).

Highlight of the show for me was the XREAL Air 2. There's a small discount if you pre-order. I'm seriously considering it..................

That's it really. Honestly not sure I would bother going again next year. The merch is always the same shit anyway so what's the point...

If anyone else attended, tell me what you thought/if you played any fun games etc.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
No pics, no credibility
xTtJUNs.jpg

Here's one. I didn't take many photos, too busy looking at them with my eyes (the booth babes really are one of the only redeeming aspects of TGS)

Doom85

- Japanese people (mainly guys given the demographics) seem to have no interest in taking photos with booth babes, they just take photos of them.

I mean, are any of them cosplaying? If they are, I get not wanting to put yourself in the photo as well if you’re not cosplaying yourself. It just seems weird, for example, to have a photo showing “Chun-Li from Street Fighter! …..and some random guy next to her”.

Like, at cons I’ve been to, yeah some people take pictures with themselves next to the cosplayer(s), but plenty of others, men and women, just take the picture of the cosplayer(s) only. It’s pretty standard stuff.

Top Bottom