• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did anyone listen to the latest Doug Loves Movies (DLM) podcast? (Tension, cringe)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked, couldn't find a thread about this,

But I am a long time listener and a fan of Doug Benson's DLM podcast.

Most guests are okay, if not that funny, at least somewhat entertaining...

But maan did shit go off the rails around the 18-22 minute mark on his latest podcast.

I am going to probably get in shit for this, but I feel like Doug is just a bit too much, I think all that pot has gotten into him, You'd imagine a pot head being more patient and chill, but the guy (as a podcast host) is a control freak, with a very short temper...

Before I proceed, there's no way I am defending the disruptive behavior of actress Anne Heche and the director Onur Tukel (second time he is butting heads with Doug on the podcast) Both of these people are being obnoxious, and belligerent.. BUT.. BUT!! bare with me here guys..

But Doug clearly doesn't stay on his level and decides to take their bait and yell back at them, instead of putting out the fires as a podcast host and getting on with the show.

I love this podcast, but I am beginning to lose respect for Doug...

When your Podcast has so many vague and subtle rules and you demand your guests to act a certain way and play along with your stupid movie trivia games, either, thoroughly educate them about the rules and quirks of the show for half hour before the podcast, or bare with them, when they act clueless to the premise of the entire thing and start to talk over each other...
Especially if half of your guests happen to be eccentric, prima donna film stars and divaish directors.

Guy needs to be a host with some patience and finesse... and direct derails back on track, instead of starting to embarrass his guests in front of the audience...

I mean there's "keeping it real" and then there's Doug Benson.

If you listen around the 22 minute mark, Anne Heche decides to tone it down and push the "reset" button, she yells for a "time out" ...The director dude also realizes he was being a dick and quiets down... Doug as a host, instead of reading these cues and directing the show towards a calmer setting, doubles down, gets his audience on his side and starts to embarrass and trigger his two eccentric guests even more, just so he can boot them off the show.

I popped into the reddit page of his podcast, and everyone seems to be defending Doug, I get it, it's easy to defend him, but maan, I wanted to take a different perspective of the situation.

http://podbay.fm/show/281816774/e/1487802193?autostart=1

I think it depends heavily on the feel Doug gets from the guests in question. Haven't listened to this episode yet, but the episode or two before was complete nonsense with the guests using their phones and making up their own games and he didn't really give a shit. I think there is just more involved than just what comes across in audio form.

ReAxion

i didnt hear this particular ep, i don't listen as often as i used to, but when i do dip back in i have noticed what you're talking about.

there's even spillover to other 'casts. samm levine and graham elwood talked about not wanting to do DLM together anymore (on Comedy Film Nerds) because they get too competitive and mused that Doug probably sets it up that way. cringe isn't all that great to listen to.

Seesaw15

I saw the guest , listened to the pre show warning and deleted the episode. I can't handle listening to cringe.

Moppeh

Banned
I haven't listened to that ep yet but I'm not surprised. Doug can be a bit of a control freak. Sometimes it is fine and kinda funny but there are times where I need to fast forward cause it is so cringey.

Viewt

Doug Benson is one of those dudes who I can take in small doses, but I've never really gotten into his podcasts. Ultimately, a good host needs to be able to keep things on track and bring out the best in their guests. Doug seems more focused on being funny himself, and not actually moderating the discussion outside of the the bare minimum needed to maintain the show's format.

Just now jumping into the episode because of this and it seems like it's uncomfortable as soon as the guests come out.

Oner comes out as a dick right away. It's not about being a control freak, the dude instantly starts asking Doug to ask questions about the movie.

Lol what the fuck? I'm 15 minutes in and don't see how this is at all bad on Doug. Sandra and Oner are instantly complete assholes.

Wait, is that the same director Doug kicked off the stage during a film festival for being a drunk asshole?

But yeah, Doug can be surprisingly passive aggressive toward his guests or audiences, especially considering his show's format is literally fun and games. Dude seems to have control issues but he compensates by being naturally funnier and more quick-witted than the vast majority of comedy podcast hosts out there.

The timing of this thread is curious as I actually took a long break from DLM and got back into it earlier today. Sadly a lot of the episodes I missed are broken links. I guess I'd have to buy them now. Really want to listen to that Shane Black one.

Btw the live episodes of Getting Doug with High featuring Pete Holmes are legendary.

Just now jumping into the episode because of this and it seems like it's uncomfortable as soon as the guests come out.

Oner comes out as a dick right away. It's not about being a control freak, the dude instantly starts asking Doug to ask questions about the movie.

Lol what the fuck? I'm 15 minutes in and don't see how this is at all bad on Doug. Sandra and Oner are instantly complete assholes.

Not Sandra, You mean Heche, keep listening, there's a small window of redemption around the 21 minute mark where Doug could've turned it all around, he becomes the bigger dick, trust me. The condescending way he decides to embarrass Heche in front of his audience, I would walk out too if I was her, not before telling him to go fuck himself.

louiedog

I'm on Doug's side on this one. I felt like he's had less patience than I have in the past with rude guests and been surprised at the escalation. In this one you could hear him pausing and collecting himself then giving them many chances before he started getting angry.

I was surprised the first time Onur was kicked out because it felt like it ramped up very quickly after being not so bad. This one started higher than that one ended.

Not Sandra, You mean Heche, keep listening, there's a small window of redemption around the 21 minute mark where Doug could've turned it all around, he becomes the bigger dick, trust me. The condescending way he decides to embarrass Heche in front of his audience, I would walk out too if I was her, not before telling him to go fuck himself.

I guess I had them confused, but by that point they were already far past the point. They came out instantly wanting to talk about the movie and being disruptive. Then when Doug tried to get on point she was a complete asshole. Just because she tried to call a timeout and then instantly blame Doug more and more while Oner is sitting there flipping out the whole time.

I don't see at all how this is on Doug. She seems completely unwilling to actually listen. She obviously came there to only talk about the movie and that's all she wanted to talk about.

Boem

Doug definitely started moving from stereotypically laidback and easy going stoner to stereotypically depressive and grumpy stoner over the years. Not all the time, but yeah, I recognize that kind of dickish behavior in some long-time stoners (both friends and myself, at one time).

Nothing wrong with him getting high, but the effect is noticeable at times.

louiedog

This is one of the reasons I've been hesitant to go to a taping when he comes to town. Part of it is a venue thing, but with his surprise guests you never really know what you're going to get.

I made a mistake when trying to introduce my girlfriend to the show by putting on the newest episode while we were on a road trip and it was 3 guys who had never been on before at some smaller place where he apparently had trouble getting guests that time. I don't want to get my ass to the venue I don't like much and be disappointed with bad guests.

The LA shows tend to be good and reliable because of the wealth of guests, but then it could also be 3 people who aren't familiar with the games and the show. I feel like it's best when a couple of the people know what's going on. Still, I think I'll try and take my girlfriend to one of those shows next time we visit LA because it's better bet of being a good time.

I'm sorry man, I don't see it with this one. I thought this was going to be something more about him flipping out on an audience member who hadn't listened to the show before, cause that gets annoying. It really seemed like Oner and Anne came out and instantly started like pieces of shit.

Anne trying to save it by taking a "timeout" goes completely out the window when she takes every chance she gets to compare what happened to the movie because it almost became violent and make remarks about her not getting paid. She was a piece of shit, I don't think she tried to save it, she just wanted another chance to get her point across.

kris.

Banned
Onur's been responding to people on twitter like a snarky asshole. And he's saying it was all staged. I don't buy it.

I'll have to check It out. I dropped his show about 2 years ago but even then I remember him being a bit of a dick to guests who don't know the ins and outs of his games.

I listened to the episode.

Onur is a crazy person. Not that we didn't already know that from his previous appearance. As for Anne Heche, I initially felt that despite her bad behavior Doug could have handled her better.

But then I saw this picture on Reddit:

eK486gWh.jpg

So yeah, audio doesn't tell the whole story. I mean can you imagine Anne being all up in say, Stephen Colbert's face like that during a Late Show interview?

It seemed pretty clear that Onur and Heche were intent on ruining the show from the jump. It also seemed clear that their intention was to be thrown off the show again. Doug seems like a nice guy but he clearly doesn't suffer people trying to take advantage and railroad him. No chance he would just forget that they were trying to ruin his show and let them just "reset" after being dicks on purpose.

That show is excruciating to listen to. He gets some really good guests, but he gets way too high before the show basically every time. It takes him like 15 minutes of rambling to introduce the guests, then there are a bunch of sponsorships to get through, then he spends most of the rest of the show talking about the rules to the Leonard Malton game. It can be funny when someone is on like TJ Miller and Pete Holmes and they just sieze control of the entire show, but otherwise it is just awful.

Vert boil

Missed the thread when it was posted.

Doug talked about the show and gave some more info about Onur pre-show on the Mini posted the day after the show - https://soundcloud.com/dougloves/the-verdict .

OP, you're totally wrong. Doug couldn't have done anything to get things back on track with them on stage. Onur would have kept shiving Doug throughout. He's not the type of person to forgive and forget.

Doug sounded genuinely hurt. From himself for stupidly allowing the situation to happen again, by Onur deceiving him and losing what could have been a fantastic panel.

[dick sucking sounds]
You expect too much from Doug, he is after all just another fallible person. Someone that has spent a decade personally building a mini-empire that for the most part is given away for free. DLM and Doug are so intertwined that it's understandable that periodically there are a flare ups (LA free shows going away, Amy Adams etc). Team Doug.
[/dick sucking sounds]

Trump.

That show is excruciating to listen to. He gets some really good guests, but he gets way too high before the show basically every time. It takes him like 15 minutes of rambling to introduce the guests, then there are a bunch of sponsorships to get through, then he spends most of the rest of the show talking about the rules to the Leonard Malton game. It can be funny when someone is on like TJ Miller and Pete Holmes and they just sieze control of the entire show, but otherwise it is just awful.

That sounds like most pod casts and why I can't get into them. Too much banter and nonsense, sponsorship talks, etc before anything gets on topic

Yado

I listened to the episode.

Onur is a crazy person. Not that we didn't already know that from his previous appearance. As for Anne Heche, I initially felt that despite her bad behavior Doug could have handled her better.

But then I saw this picture on Reddit:

So yeah, audio doesn't tell the whole story. I mean can you imagine Anne being all up in say, Stephen Colbert's face like that during a Late Show interview?

Sandra looks so uncomfortable lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom