• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Iran just score a diplomatic win internationally?

Pomerlaw

As a Canadian I admit I do not trust the US anymore.
Maybe if you guys get Trump out and get back at science and progress we can talk.

There is still hope the next president and admin will get things back to normal. There are a lot of great people in the States, maybe the current crysis will motivate them!

slit

An own goal by Trump while Iran watches bemusedly.

So, yeah.

I doubt they are looking on bemusedly. They may win as far as being seen as the victims but internally they have to be worried even if the rest don't back the U.S.

Usobuko

Banned
I was pleasantly surprised the EU spoke person make a clear stand for Iran deal. Lmao.

European should buddy buddy with Asia.

US had way too much influence in this world and deserves to be curbed.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Even worse than the US losing ground on the international stage, Trump just gave a massive win to the most fanatical branch of the iranian political spectrum. The mollahs were against the deal. It was a baby conceived by the " progressives " and Rohani won reelection on the back of the deal. Now if the west stabs Iran in the back then we might see the radical fringe of iranian politics use this to get in power.

This

This is the worst thing about the moronic speech that Trump gave. In a single afternoon, Dear Leader gave a massive political victory to the hardline and extremist elements in the Iranian government, the same elements that peddle the "Great Satan" rhetoric and have built their political careers on the basis that the US is not to be trusted. The US just proved that they can't be trusted.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sigh
But, there must be advisors to the Republican party that can see that this really looks bad on an international stage. If even the UK, in the middle of the Brexit negotiations, partners up with Germany and France to make a statement about it... against Trumps decision.

My understanding of the situation, as a Swede looking on from outside, is that Trump/Republicans care about America and America only. Or maybe not even that, they just care about themselves. Either way, they don't give a shit what the rest of the world thinks. To them America might as well be the only country in the world (and many regular Americans, especially on the right, act like they believe that anyway).

From over here, America is looking less and less like a reliable partner and ally by the day.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I'm kinda happy Iran didn't go rogue and threaten to develop nukes if the deal was off. Iran is actually acting like a mature, responsible country.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
iran definitely isn't a western friendly power as a government and is hesitant to US outreach. Not to mention their government has extreme paranoia regarding dissenting, and the hardline elements dont help. however that makes sense with what the US government has done over the years in that country and region specifically in trying to upend their state through malicious means.

I would argue it also makes sense to to a certain degree the anti israeli goverment stance, due to israel's policy positions making it easy to create a narrative of propaganda and hatred against them, even to the point of mobilizing something as morally complicated as hezbollah.

But many people in that country(iran) are fully westernized in their ideals, they have democratic elections and generally speaking are far more of a viable partner in negotiations than somewhere like dictatorially oppressive and anti freedom and absurdly pro terror like saudi arabia which we only get by on because of oil money(we've consistently skirted this issue for years).

We definitely should be trying to get on good terms with them and changing their problematic ways, that would be much better use of our time through things like the nuclear deal pretending they are anywhere near an extreme exporter of terror in the region, especially compared to other nations we could name where that's not conveniently a problem.

Top Bottom