• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you ever had long-term gaming goals that you've set out to achieve when you were younger and couldn't afford stuff? Did you manage to get there?

Drizzlehell

Banned
Just to set up the premise more precisely (and totally not to brag or anything): back in about 2014-2015, when Elite Dangerous was still in early access, I saw that game and said to myself "wow, it would be so sick to get a good gaming setup with a bitchin' joystick and VR goggles to play this game in a totally immersive way."

And coming from the kind of background that I did, for the longest time I wasn't in a position where I would have a lot of disposable income, so that was basically a dream that I couldn't possibly hope to achieve. Hell, back then, I could barely afford to even buy that game once it came out of early access, let alone buy all that expensive shit for it. All I had was this barely functional joystick that I got in a thrift store for less than a buck. It was a piece of shit but it was all I could afford.

So, you know, life went on, I kept busting my ass and climbing the career ladder while also keeping my sights on more grounded priorities. And now, nearly 10 years later, I'm finally in a much more stable and secure position to actually be able to spend money on bullshit, and finally - my dream became true.

I've got a killer gaming setup with 3 consoles, gaming PC, and VR, but most importantly, I can finally play E:D exactly the way I dreamed about it all those years ago.

And lemme tell ya, it feels fucking great, amigo.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Glad you are having fun OP.

For me it has been more or less the same. Never could afford the best PC parts or the latest consoles when I was younger, and dreamed about having a nice setup with a poweful PC and a big TV.

Today I have all that plus more. It took many years of shitty jobs and shittier pays, but after all that I finally landed on a nice position and could afford everything I wanted. Last thing was a house which attic I'm going to transform into a retro space full of retro systems, a CRT TV and many posters and other nerdy stuff. Quite excited about it. :lollipop_content:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Before I had to take care of my PC and it was not powerful. We only had 1 pc for the whole family and they would get mad if it got misconfigured, now I have my gaming laptop that I can mod.

Before I only had 20 dollars a month as a student to buy a game or necessities... Now I have enough games that I even accidentally buy 7 new ones in a month.

Before it was very difficult to have a screen to be able to enjoy a recent console... Thanks to life and the constancy of my effort, within 2 weeks my Christmas present will be a new 70'' 4k screen along with the PS5.

Thanks to my profession and university... Soon I will go to Japan to the Dragon Quest restaurant.

kiphalfton

Game console wise I have everything I could ever want. Granted I don't use any of that, but the next goal is to build a house around a game room with a nice >72" desk, >65" OLED TV, and ideally even sound proofed.

It will probably turn into a glorified office space as I work from home, but I'm also hoping to have a whole separate office area so I can have my work crap in (that I don't want to see in my off time), and the game room way far apart.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Before I had to take care of my PC and it was not powerful. We only had 1 pc for the whole family and they would get mad if it got misconfigured, now I have my gaming laptop that I can mod.

Before I only had 20 dollars a month as a student to buy a game or necessities... Now I have enough games that I even accidentally buy 7 new ones in a month.

Before it was very difficult to have a screen to be able to enjoy a recent console... Thanks to life and the constancy of my effort, within 2 weeks my Christmas present will be a new 70'' 4k screen along with the PS5.

Thanks to my profession and university... Soon I will go to Japan to the Dragon Quest restaurant.

Did you order the TV for yourself or are you getting it from someone else as a present? Has it been ordered already? 🤔

If there is still time I would like to help you with which TV you buy, but if you don't want that then enjoy its gonna be sweet!

Manji Uzuki

I really like the Dreamcast and lot of its catalogue, but when it came out I could not afford it. I ended up getting one on sale but I barely had any game so had to play via copies and at friends houses. I always wanted to have a cool physical collection of all the Dreamcast games I love (mostly fighting games and shmups) and thats exactly what I'm doing now. It is fun to search for the games, build my dream collection and play those awesome games again!

I always wanted an arcade machine growing up, got Golden Axe in my twenties and played the hell out of it. Ended up getting rid of it due to moving and size restrictions and buying my ultimate dream, a consolized NeoGeo MVS. One of my most valued possessions to this day, I love everything about it.

K2D

Banned
I was 10 years old or so and wanted a PS1(!) they were brand spanking new at the time.

Long story short, my mother lowered my expectations for me, by gifting me a Super Nintendo instead. She did me a favor, really..!

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Did you order the TV for yourself or are you getting it from someone else as a present? Has it been ordered already? 🤔

If there is still time I would like to help you with which TV you buy, but if you don't want that then enjoy its gonna be sweet!
Thank you... 😃

Yes, I would really like to know your opinion and guidance... When I get home I tell you which screens are my options.

Thank you very much 😃👏🏻

Drizzlehell

Banned
i saved every single penny to get my hands on nvidia fx5200 GPU. Underground and pop ww both ran well on it.
Nice! I remember saving money for six months when I was in junior high just to get that card. It was incredibly overpowered for my shitty-ass Pentium III PC that I basically put together for next to nothing, but boy did it help make those mid-2000s games run great. I mainly got it just to play PC ports of Silent Hill 3 and 4 (which required pixel shaders), but it was also thanks to that card when I first played Halo, Far Cry, Doom 3, Half-Life 2, and a bunch of other games.

I think I even still have it in a box somewhere because I used it until very late 2000s and it was basically worthless by the time I finally replaced it. I have such a huge sentiment for that GPU, lol.

jigglet

Banned
Never really had the most ambitious gaming goals.

I guess if I ever get into racing games I could see myself longing for a dedicated racing setup but that's a lot of $$ (typical house where I want to buy is about $3 million for a small 3 bedder, so if half the room is dedicated to a stupid racing car setup I reckon that's potentially a few hundred thousand in real estate for it lol)

FUBARx89

That I would get a TV capable of true HDR & 120hz for this gen.

I did end up getting a TV capable of both these things. I've enjoyed 120fps on all the games I've played. Kinda worth the "investment"

Last edited:

nush

Knocked it out of the park.

Owning a Neo Geo AES - Off the gaming bucket list.
Work for my favorite videogame company - Off the gaming bucket list.
Get my name in a videogame credits - Off the gaming bucket list.
Own a JAMMA cabinet and lots of boards for it that never had home conversions or shitty ports (Golden Axe Revenge of death Adder for example) - Off the gaming bucket list.
Own my favorite pinball machine - Off the gaming bucket list.
Get my name in the credits of massive game franchises multiple times - Off the gaming bucket list.
Meet famous videogame developers - Off the gaming bucket list.

Loads of other stuff that was cool to do and be a part of. Not bad for a nerd that grew up on the Wales England border in the 80's far away from anything cool.

poodaddy

I always wanted a Game Room. I'm a simple guy, just always wanted a house big enough for my wife and kid to have rooms, have a guest room, and have a room completely dedicated to gaming. I've got that now, so I'm pretty happy with how it ended up. One day I wanna have a modded Dreamcast and two fight sticks as well, but for now I'm all set.

I really like the Dreamcast and lot of its catalogue, but when it came out I could not afford it. I ended up getting one on sale but I barely had any game so had to play via copies and at friends houses. I always wanted to have a cool physical collection of all the Dreamcast games I love (mostly fighting games and shmups) and thats exactly what I'm doing now. It is fun to search for the games, build my dream collection and play those awesome games again!
Same here!! I actually went through a phase about ten years ago where I was constantly binging on Japan Yahoo auctions buying up Sega Saturn and Dreamcast collections. Was lucky to get a lot of stuff including some of the rare games and special edition consoles for reasonable prices.
Completed my SLS Sega Saturn Controller variations collection for USB and PS2. Also got the complete American and Japanese Sega game catalogue for both PS2 and XBox.

After that, I was all about getting S-TV, Model 2 and 3, and Naomi arcade games working and playable on emulators, which I was finally able to do (with some help).

Sleepwalker

Wanted to make a living from playing games, and actually became a pro player in my early twenties and did that for a few years (I just turned 30, this wasnt so far back). Met tons of cool people and travelled the world. It was fucking great.

Last edited:

Mexen

Never could afford the latest and greatest back then.
Still cannot afford them all today.

But did I achieve my dream of eliminating piracy from my life completely?

Yes. How dare you judge me?!

Shatohin

Neo Member
I always wanted a SEGA Megadrive 2, but my parents wouldn't buy it for me. Now that I'm an adult and can buy my own stuff, I have every console I could want. In every room. For me and my wife.

There were some games I wanted to play as a kid that I eventually got to play as an adult. The 100+ list of games i've cleared in the past couple years are mostly stuff that I had on my radar in my teens.

H4ze

Oh yes, I never lived on the wealthy site of life but after 10+ years I'm now in a position with good payment and my nerd dreams are becoming more and more real. Got a big ass CRT for old school gaming, my collection got huge in the recent years, over 30 consoles and Handhelds, big library of games and so on. :)
Just today I received a parcel with 11 games for my OG Xbox, guess what I'm gonna do this evening :D

Next step is a OLED TV and VR setup for PC.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
A lot of gaming isn’t about goals, 87-89 when atari, sega and Nintendo were spectacular their games made many people happy.

Barrico82

Banned
When i was a Kid in the 80S my gaming dream was to have a 70> TV, for my gaming room, and the first 2 Salaries i Got, Saved them to buy it, The look on my mother was priceless she was disapproving, But on another way she was so proud and happy that I Achieved my dream.

Top Bottom