• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney ‘absolutely’ needs to be in game development, says Warren Spector.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Today Disney has shed virtually all its video game development operations, which Spector said he believes is “a real shame” for a corporation with control of some of the world’s biggest entertainment properties.

“I am hugely regretful [about how it unfolded at Disney],” he told VGC. “I had to take six months off. After Junction Point shut down I was devastated. I just sat on the couch and watched TV the entire time. I put away all of my Disney shirts, my Disney socks… I was devastated.

“Working at Disney was the best experience of my professional life – and the worst experience of my professional life. It was both.”

Asked if Disney should still be making games, the Deus Ex director said: “Absolutely. With the properties they control, I think just being a licensing organisation is a real shame.”

In February Walt Disney Company CEO Bob Iger claimed that with Star Wars licensed to EA, he had no interest in returning to video games.

“We’re good at making movies and television shows and theme parks and cruise ships and the like, we’ve just never managed to demonstrate much skill on the publishing side of games,” Iger said.

Despite the CEO’s dismissive comments, Spector said he’s proud of the work he did at Disney and argued the company should’ve stayed the course.

“Bob Iger runs the biggest media company in the world and I don’t, so he’s probably smarter than I am. But I would’ve stuck it out,” he said.

“Maybe Iger is right that we were never very good at publishing. I think we were turning around development, but I think they could and should have made a commitment and stuck it out.

“When I joined Disney I said, ‘why doesn’t Disney own video games? We should own it.’ And I do think that we made some strides towards that.

“Whatever the core gamers think, the Epic Mickey games actually sold very well and whatever other people think, I’m hugely proud of them. Deus Ex and Epic Mickey are probably the two games I’m most proud of for a variety of reasons.

“One of the reasons I wanted to work on a Mickey Mouse game was so that I could take the idea and philosophy behind games like Deus Ex, Thief or System Shock and reach a larger audience. And it worked pretty well — Epic Mickey was the best selling game I’ve ever worked on by far.

“I think the stuff that Avalanche was doing towards the end with Disney Infinity was a step in the right direction,” Spector continued. “We were turning things around and just at that moment their commitment to internal development went away. It’s very frustrating to me because I think if they had stuck with it a little bit longer, things would have been OK.

“There were people at Disney Interactive who didn’t like games and didn’t get games. I think that was a large part of the problem.”

Spector is currently working on System Shock 3 as studio director at Austin-based OtherSide Entertainment. But despite his commitment to his current role, he said he’d still return to Disney should it come calling again.

“I have a day job now so I can’t really act on this, but if they ask me to come back I would go back in a heartbeat. I love Disney. I love the company, I love the properties, I loved working there.”

Epic Mickey is one of the saddest failures in gaming history, so much potential but I thought the game was pretty bad to be honest, I didn't get far, glad to hear it at least sold well though.

Was I maybe too harsh though? Is it worth a second chance?

stranno

Disney has been there since late-80s: Disney Software, Walt Disney Computer Software, Disney Interactive, Disney Mobile, Walt Disney Internet Group..

But they just developed educational games, hiring third-party studios to do the good stuff: Capcom, Ubisoft, Virgin, Sega, etc. Epic Mickey was a first-party development IIRC.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
They never really got the correct talent in to properly head up their gaming ventures. Warren Spector is good, but if it doesn't work out with him, they need to try to get someone else on board. Pulling out completely from development and publishing seems like a really daft move in fairness for a company of their size. As Spector says, yeah Bob Iger knows more about Disney, but he probably doesn't know more about the gaming industry.

Entertainment is entertainment. If I were a shareholder, I'd be furious at this decision. Gaming is simply too big and important for disney to just walk away. I'm certain we haven't heard to last of Disney in gaming.

Perhaps Disney are lining up a hostile takeover of Nintendo or EA and this latest announcement is just to get everyone to put their guard down.

Last edited:
Sad to hear but it just means I can play the older games of what they once were.

Killing LucasGames is the biggest tragedy though.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Odd to hear him say it after they neutered his vision for Epic Mickey. "Playstyle matters" except that it didn't.

AlexxKidd

If Insomniac's Spider-Man is any indication of what's to come, I'd say Iger is 100% right on going the course he's going.

plushyp

Epic Mickey is one of the saddest failures in gaming history, so much potential but I thought the game was pretty bad to be honest, I didn't get far, glad to hear it at least sold well though.

Don't. I had the same thought a year back and it played even worse than what I remembered. From Deus Ex to Epic Mickey.... sigh.

iconmaster

Banned
They’ve made noise about getting back into games.

I have no doubt they’ll follow that up by getting out of them again.

petran79

Banned
Disney not being in gaming business is a blessing. If you ask me they have no business making motion pictures too.

They didnt even manage to make animated series or movies of their comics. Just spinoffs like Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Talespin, Rescue Rangers etc
Eg you buy Lucasarts and you have a huge opportunity to make a 3D adventure game with Mickey Mouse as detective

latest

Or instead of Spiderman, make also an openworld action/adventure based on Duck Avenger. They have no clue how many readers await such games. Even by increasing the age rating a little. Instead they focus on Epic Mickey. Most wasted video game potential price goes to Disney

d8rZh0V.jpg

SpiceRacz

Personally, I love the game. I'm not sure on how well it's held up though.

The Alien

Banned
Marvel, Star Wars,.....now the Alien and Predator franchises, Pixar films...so many opportunities here.

Disney squeezes every possible dime out of its properties so it's hard to believe they're not involved in video games - a business that legendarily squeezes the most money out of each release.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Disney is celebrating it's TV, streaming etc. acquisitions. They aren't worried about games.

somerset

Disney is a *sinking* ship. Having risen to unprecedented heights in the Hollywood studio system, Disney (like so many studios before them) have peaked hard, and are looking at the other side of the roller-coaster 'hill'.

Disney, having bought Fox (TV and Film dramatic divisions), hasn't the first clue what to do with the excess, and Disney's out-of-control Marvel divison is already trashing the ex-Fox X-men IP works in a toddler temper act of pure spite.

In the midst of this, Disney is trying for the umpteenth time to launch major TV channels.

They need a games division like a hole in the head (which might be why they got *rid* of their games division very recently).

Disney's remake of Aladdin is *so* bad, Will Smith seems like a non-singing, non-acting nobody. Avatar 2 is a literal blackhole for Disney funds- a blackhole that has just gotten ten times bigger now that it senses a far bigger pile of stupid money. Star Wars is a bust just as Disney opens the world's biggest theme park attraction in their new Han Solo World. Marvel is going full-on SJW, with post avengers projects being female led (hello again 400 million world-wide BO). There's a putrid POTC reboot coming. A broken down Indy movie. Lion King is the last hope for a big BO remake.

Disney is upping its spend on no-hoper film projects hoping the budget will reverse the fortune- what failing studios always do- the "gambler's mistake" - make up for losses with bigger bets.

All non-game publishers *hate* computer games. Uncertain quality per dollar spend. Uncertain dev time. Uncertain support costs. Uncertain release isssues. Films, TV, Books and even plays are reliable known commodities in comparison.

It is *always* cheaper and more profitable for Disney to license out IP for things like games. No risk. No *distraction* (game IP work distracts management- which is the real reason Disney dropped making their own games). And if the return ain't great- well eff it, it ain't as if the game could ever do what Avengers the movie does.

So why do prize dribblers like Spector say what they say? Cos he wants a slice of that sweet sweet mountain of cash Disney holds. Like all the has-been Hollywood sharks who made a bee-line to Netflix, and ripped off that company something rotten when they got their putrid no-hoper projects greenlit to at least pilots.

I mean Netflix is spending something like 3-10 times per hour than what broadcast TV pays to get the same quality of output made. Netflix literally has to cancel reasonably liked shows like Santa Monica Diet cos of the *insane* per episode costs that FX would have made for literally 1/10 of the budget.

So Spector thinks that he could rip-off Disney in the same way if only they went back to directly backing game dev.

I loved Disney as a kid (80s / 90s). If only I knew what they would eventually become...
So no, Spector, Disney should keep their greedy hands off gaming.

Ah little late for that you dumb fucks (Disney).

As far as Cinema, a centuries old industry, goes, Disney are great producers. But when it comes to video games they're absolute dumb fucks, and I even have a little personal anecdote with the particular way they manage it. Also remember when they closed LucasArt, which at some point in the 90s was the Disney of video-games? The fact that there's no a single reference to Grim Fandango in Coco is disgusting and revelatory.

Thankfully for Disney there's Capcom, Square-Enix or Dice, but yeah Disney are fucking archaic c*nts when it comes to video-games and I really don't see how they'll turn that over, and not fuck it up anyway.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
“I had to take six months off. After Junction Point shut down I was devastated. I just sat on the couch and watched TV the entire time. I put away all of my Disney shirts, my Disney socks… I was devastated."

I had to take six months off....

I @#ad to %^&e &^ix m&*(#s off....

Must be NICE!..first percent problems...I stopped reading right there. Here I am can't even take a vacation to see family for thanksgiving half the damn time because I'm out of PTO by time November comes...yet this dudes feelings hurt and he "HAD to take 6 months off?"

Edit: Comes back and ***Flips Table***

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Think of all the great Disney videogame you've played in the past. They absolutely should be making more. I can't imagine a world without Castle of Illusion, Ducktales or Aladdin.

BallPtPenTheif

Neo Member
Making great games is very hard and very financially risky. I can't blame them for having some humility over the affair and sticking to what's safe.

“I had to take six months off. After Junction Point shut down I was devastated. I just sat on the couch and watched TV the entire time. I put away all of my Disney shirts, my Disney socks… I was devastated"

Wow. I feel so sorry for this guy. He had it so hard.

Wanting Disney to join game development is retarded. They only know $$$. They'll just be another EA. How can anyone think otherwise?

No. Honestly, you'd have more fun playing the Mickey Mouse game on GameCube.

...I wish I was joking, but I actually felt compelled enough to beat that one, whereas Epic Mickey bored me to tears before the 10% mark.

Food for thought.

No, you're totally right, I have fond memories of the Mickey Mouse Gamecube game, as simple as it was, I still finished it.

And I probably didn't even make it to the 10% mark in Epic Mickey as well.

For those that don't know, I.E. scrubs, the Mickey Mouse gamecube game we're talking about was Disney's Magical Mirror Starring Mickey Mouse.

It's kind of a point-and-click adventure game obviously intended for little kids, but I dunno, I played through it in my late teens since I got it for free at a pawn shop for buying so much of the dude's other shit, and I was shocked I managed to beat the game without feeling like I wasted my time or was bored.

I guess it's true what they say, fun conquers all.

I just found a listing for the game for $8 on eBay, and I could not pass that up. YUSSS

Last edited:
Top Bottom