• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do "copyright strikes" ever fall off your YouTube account?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodcow

As some of you may know, I have a YouTube account dedicated to video game footage with 6,000+ videos on it.

A few days ago I got a message that "TMSanime" said the following video was violating their copyright and it was being blocked.
"Working Designs website archive: rayearth 200X150.avi"

This was a video from the Working Designs website from years ago, with a temporary voice track for the intro and many people thought it was lost forever.

Now tonight I get a follow-up E-Mail that the video was removed.

Dear goodcowfilms:
We have disabled the following material as a result of a third-party notification from TMSanime claiming that this material is infringing:

Working Designs website archive: rayearth 200X150.avi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwj9cfd2QiE

So because of this nonsense, my YouTube account now says:

Copyright Strikes: Your account is not in good standing.

Strike 1:
Working Designs website archive: rayearth 200X150.avi - (goodcowgames)
Video ID: rwj9cfd2QiE
Removed due to a copyright claim by TMSanime on Mar 18, 2012

It also says "YouTube takes copyright infringement very seriously. If you receive three copyright strikes, your account and all videos uploaded to that account will be removed."

Do these strikes ever fall off the account? This seems like bullshit, if anything that video should have been fair use and been claimable by Working Designs.

iammeiam

I got a copyright strike a number of years back (I cut together my seven favorite scenes/segments from The Room as a top 7 list; Wieseau's company DMCA'd me within 48 hours) and I just checked and... the strike's still there, and I still have the option to challenge it as non-infringing. This page claims completing 'copyright school' will have the strike cleared if you don't strike again within six months.

So I completed the thing, strike's still there, but maybe it's six months from when you complete Copyright School.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The three strikes system doesn't sit quite right with me. That YouTube takes down content at the request of the creators or publishers is exactly how I think the system should work, but considering how difficult it is to know what kinds of content are going to be targeted and what content publishers are going to be alright with leaving up, this system turns into a minefield for uploaders.

PK Gaming

Yes they do. I've never experienced this firsthand but...

(Take my post with a grain of salt) but i'm a huge fan of the user "ImmaVegeta" and he's copyright strikes eventually get removed.

Good luck man, I hope your account doesn't get terminated by a combo copyright strike.

Off topic, and this opinion is very "entitled"/"unrealistic" or whatever....but I've really grown to dislike youtube a lot since the DMCA notices have ramped up so much.

Just really sick of videos that I enjoy being taken down out of nowhere. A lot of the time, people have added different music or cut it in a way that I will never be able to find the same video ever again. Just feels like there are so many lawyers/hawk types out there just itching to take things down.

Good luck with the strikes, I've never personally had any but I rarely upload anything.

They leave after a while, I got a strike for putting up the original "Cat in the Hat" cartoon. They took the video off and the strike.
Manage Account

Account Status: Community Guidelines
Your account is in good standing.

Account Status

Copyright Strikes: Your account is in good standing.
Content ID Claims: Your account is in good standing.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
I don't think they do. I Still have 2 from years back. TMS owns Rayearth IIRC. Since the video in question was on WD's website you might challenge the claim, though I don't know if that still applies since they went kaput a long time ago.

The biggest bs is when these companies file copyright claims on content they do not own.

Youtube immediately takes their word for it.

Guilty until proven innocent. And yes, the companies abuse it. Remember how the megaupload video was taken down even though it was 100% original content by them?

Stitch

Gold Member
Cool, I had 2 strikes and now I only have one :D

But my first strike was really old. 3 or 4 years I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom