• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you miss the John Riccitiello era of EA?

Admodieus

Been thinking about how to make this thread for a little while now but it finally came to a head after I finished Dead Space 3 recently. To me, the Dead Space series is a perfect microcosm of Riccitiello's time at the helm of Electronic Arts. Very promising start that grew into something I really enjoyed before they got too greedy and strayed too far from the original vision and brought it all crashing down.

As CEO, Riccitiello certainly had his share of miscalculations, poor decisions, and ideas I disagreed with. He led a failed acquisition of Take Two (instead acquiring Bioware, Pandemic and PopCap) and oversaw some titles that saw brutal backlash from the gaming community, such as Mass Effect 3 and SimCity. He also placed a big bet on Star Wars The Old Republic but chased the WoW subscription model instead of starting with the F2P model which the game has now settled into.

And still, I felt like EA was trying to be more than just a monolithic third party publisher during those years. Starting in 2008, we saw Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, Army of Two, one of the best racing games in Burnout Paradise and new takes on Battlefield (Bad Company, designed for consoles and Heroes, F2P designed for the casual crowd). They continued experimenting on expanding their portfolio in 2009 and 2010, with Dragon Age Origins, Mass Effect 2 (Bioware acquisition finally kicking in), Brutal Legend, and Dante's Inferno.

Compare that with EA today - we seem to be back to sports (Madden, FIFA, NHL), racing (Need for Speed), and Star Wars (although this will seemingly span several different types of games). Bioware is working on an alleged Destiny competitor, but the reception for their games has been trending down, culminating in the poorly received Mass Effect Andromeda. The Respawn acquisition was another arrow for the "Kill Call of Duty at any cost" quiver, and mismanagement of the IP (XBox exclusivity for the first game, poor release window for the second) have led it to underperform. Unravel was a breath of fresh air, even if it didn't resonate with me personally - but where are the other titles like it?

I remain very interested in Bioware's new IP as well as whatever Visceral is working on, but there are times when I really miss that half-decade when it felt like the company was betting on the creativity of its own studios to unearth the next big hit.

How much of that was the ridiculously hyperbolic backlash against Mass Effect 3's ending? It was a disappointing ending, but to say a video game company is the worst company in America is pretty silly IMO.

I think it's well accepted at this point that EA winning the WCIA was a bunch of nonsense fueled by gamer rage. I mean, EA beat Bank of America... THIS Bank of America.

Seik

Banned
Wasn't he the one who destroyed MAXIS and Sim City at the same time by forcing them to make their game always online?

I miss their games output, but not their business acumen. They were the ones at the forefront of a lot of annoying money-grab stuff back then.

Lothars

How much of that was the ridiculously hyperbolic backlash against Mass Effect 3's ending? It was a disappointing ending, but to say a video game company is the worst company in America is pretty silly IMO.

It was mostly fielded by that. It was still insane.

HarryKS

Probably when the medium reached its peak. The age of excess.

Since then, it's all been downhill. No more bombast, no more grandiosity, just there. The industry is dead.

Olimar

Neo Member

Yeah, to be honest it's rather undeserved to be the worst company in America, but there was a multitude of things that happened that made EA piss gamers off.

Crazy out-the-ass DLC with no edition with all DLC packs included, for example. You still to this day have to buy Mass Effect 2 character DLC to get the 'full game.'

I think what really did it in was people didn't want to use Origin client when it came out to play SimCity with their always-online DRM.

I do miss the EA era where they would green light new IP's and games, then no one would buy them.

Tell you who doesn't miss that era, EA shareholders.

Probably when the medium reached its peak. The age of excess.

Since then, it's all been downhill. No more bombast, no more grandiosity, just there. The industry is dead.

tumblr_n1albcqLHi1sgv55fo1_400.gif

Fisty

I'll admit, EA was on fire from like 2006-2011 and I loved it. Really don't know what happened after that, but they really did bring the new IPs with big marketing during those years. So much potential, completely squandered

_Aaron_

No, not really. That was when I stopped playing EA games.

Alot of the EA stuff I like was before Riccitiello became CEO:
  • Burnout 3
  • Burnout Revenge
  • Black
  • SSX Tricky
  • SSX3
  • Need for Speed 2: Hot Pursuit
  • Need for Speed Underground
  • Need for Speed Underground 2
  • Need for Speed Most Wanted
  • TimeSplitters: Future Perfect

george_us

This thread made me remember that Electronic ducking Arts published Shadows of the Damned. It does suck to see EA consolidate so much of its portfolio but that's the nature of the beast these days.

Arkam

The guy who told us all we were not getting any merit increases cuz the company was going through a bad time then he was awarded a $4million stock bonus. The guy who referred to us as unruly dogs (literally comparing us to a helper dog someone brought to the town hall)? Yea that guy can burn in the deepest darkest levels of hell. Was glad to hear when he left EA, was sad it wasn't by physical force.

Oh and lets not forget he had EA buy Bioware and Pandemic (which he was a major share holder in) only to close the doors of Pandemic.... yea a real class act.

Oh and one more. He was also the guy who had his office edit the EA wikipedia to edit out Trip Hawkins as the founder.

khaaan

"We named our son Luigi" is the new EA meme

Where did that come from?

Edit: nvm, found it
It's a huge honor and privilege to be here today representing the passionate and talented team at Electronic Arts. For me, to be on this stage is like a dream come true. For as long as I've played games, I've been a massive fan of the Nintendo platforms and amazing culture of creativity...so much so that when my first son was born, my wife and I gave him the middle name Luigi!
https://www.ea.com/news/easports-fifa-coming-to-the-nintendo-switch

Top Bottom