• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Anyone Else Love & Collect Gaming "Encyclopedias" or Atlases, etc?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
20191014-141517.jpg

Sen-no-Kiseki-Character-Maniacs-Cover.jpg

20210304-133527.jpg

Books like this. Encyclopedias or reference guides or atlases of the world or setting that it takes place in. All the information you need so that particular universe which will detail the characters and locations and everything else.

I have the Halo encyclopedia and the other Halo encyclopedias and a bunch of other books like this. The books, pictured above, are ones that I own for some more obscure games.

No I'm not just talking about visual guys although that does count in some respects if the visual guides detail the different characters and weapons and buildings much like the Star Wars visual guides do. Things I also count are in person diaries like the Book of Adria for instance. That is both a diary and a monster manual of different things you will find in Diablo 3 and a nice discussion on them from Adria's point of view.

I want to book that's like an encyclopedia. Like you're learning about our world but instead you're learning about that fictional World in an encyclopedia format. I have a great fondness for this kind of stuff.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Who is on board with me and please, share your encyclopedias and atlases of video game worlds.

Majormaxxx

For sure!

I have artbooks on Witcher 3, AC Origins, Odyssey, Valhalla, God of War, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Uncharted 1-4, Last of Us (1), Lara Croft Osiris, Horizon, Spiderman ps4.

Of those only the Witcher books is what you are asking for but if I find more, I'd get them.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I never cared enough about the lore of video games to buy these but when I was young I used to buy the Marvel Universe encyclopedia issues that had character bios. I used to use them as templates for learning how to draw figures. So I can see the appeal.

Darkmakaimura

Wow, I just discovered this exists as I was getting back into Dragon Quest games and now this is added to my wish list.

Screenshot-20221118-084736-01.jpg

Darkmakaimura

I had some extra money and in a way I feel like I should not have done it, but I need some things to make my self feel better. So, just went from my wish list to now arriving on November 20th.

I'm also, as a companion, looking to buy Dragon Quest XI for my Nintendo Switch.

Used to buy them all the time. Years ago.
Not anymore, No one but me gives a crap about them so I've been slowly getting rid of them as time goes on.
Never had someone over say, "Hey let me see that book on the shelf there." No, it's usually, "Hey you sure keep a lot of books" conversation ends and then they move on.
No point in keeping these things around. Like at all. None, zero, zip, zilch reasons.

Doom85

I dunno, to me they’re all “art books”, never really thought of them as encyclopedias.

I’ve got:

The Art of Bioshock Infinite
The Art of The Last of Us
Capcom 30th Anniversary Character Encyclopedia (okay, I guess this is an exception, LOL)
MM25: Mega Man & Mega Man X Official Complete Works
Persona 3 Official Design Works
Persona 4 Official Design Works
Resident Evil Archives Vol. 1

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
You're definitively not alone, I have a lot of artbooks and some encyclopedia, here my favorite, I'm totally in love with this gold cartridge artbook/encyclopedia 💖😻💖
1NuypJg.jpg

Bought lastly the Halo Encyclopedia Deluxe too
TNYfVOT.jpg

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I thought this was going to be about Britanica and those things.

But yes I have gaming compendiums.

Top Bottom