• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI:Echoes of an Elusive Age |OT| This One Goes To XI

Fuz

Banned
Short sad story.

I wanted to try this game for a while, I fnally managed to try it with a friend yesterday. First impact: amazing. Graphics and cutscenes are fantastic, excellent design overall, superb textures. The music is also excellent. Great start!
Of course there's a but.
We both found the voice actors UNSUFFERABLE, especially that brit girl at the beginning. I've never heard such a terrible voice acting before. So we looked for a way to switch to JP voices (I usually prefer the originals anyway - my friend doesn't toh) and, as you know, there's no such an option. In the end we had to remove voice volume altogether (side thought: if you wanted to remove it completely you can't, because the character make the classic typewriter sound. What the fuck, square?).
We were already pretty annoyed by this, but ok, let's give it a chance. Except... the combat is absolutely unplayable with a keyboard. You move with ESDF (ok, that's WASD for you) but you need to move away your hand from your keyboard/mouse to the cursor keys to select the actions. You can't even use the mouse wheel. That's the shittiest system I've ever seen.

Guess what? Refunded in less than 3 hours.

Last edited:

Quezacolt

Short sad story.
We both found the voice actors UNSUFFERABLE, especially that brit girl at the beginning. I've never heard such a terrible voice acting before. So we looked for a way to switch to JP voices (I usually prefer the originals anyway - my friend doesn't toh) and, as you know, there's no such an option. In the end we had to remove voice volume altogether (side thought: if you wanted to remove it completely you can't, because the character make the classic typewriter sound. What the fuck, square?).
Japanese dub only exists for the switch version, before that, the game only had english dub, or none at all in japan

Psy-Phi

Short sad story.

I wanted to try this game for a while, I fnally managed to try it with a friend yesterday. First impact: amazing. Graphics and cutscenes are fantastic, excellent design overall, superb textures. The music is also excellent. Great start!
Of course there's a but.
We were already pretty annoyed by this, but ok, let's give it a chance. Except... the combat is absolutely unplayable with a keyboard. You move with ESDF (ok, that's WASD for you) but you need to move away your hand from your keyboard/mouse to the cursor keys to select the actions. You can't even use the mouse wheel. That's the shittiest system I've ever seen.

Guess what? Refunded in less than 3 hours.
This isn't a sad story at all, but a triumphant one. Unless you were a fan of DQ games in the past, which, given your observations, seems unlikely (typewriter sound is charming as hell and familiar), it's not sad you didn't enjoy it. Pretty happy really. You got a refund for a game you didn't enjoy. Pretty wonderful from the sounds of things to me.

If you ever want to suffer the game again, and a Nintendo Switch is available to you, try it again there if you can. It will fix your two issues named, since Japanese voices are an option, and having a controller will fix your control woes. The music is better too I believe (orchestral, although a mode exists on PC I hear for that?).

Better luck next game. It stinks that we still don't have better control options for PC games in this day and age. But, as always, a controller is recommended for full enjoyment of console ports. Remember the time when console ports didn't have gamepad support at all (lookin' at you Beyond Good & Evil - though that was fixed recently in a patch on Steam), at least we aren't in that dark age anymore.

Impotaku

Any argument of voice acting been bad is nullified by the fact Rab and Sylvando exist, Sylvando alone is the single greatest RPG character i have ever met. Brave sassy funny & kind as well as been stupidly strong his god tier english voicework made me laugh out loud more times than i can count. Will be getting the switch version as i want that extra content after 120 hours into the PS4 version i absolutely can't stop playing.

sublimit

Banned
I don't know.Personally i loved the voice acting of ALL the characters and this is coming from someone who immediately switches to Japanese audio in (most) Japanese games if i have the option. However DQ is one of the few Japanese series that i think English fits it better.

ROMhack

I'm playing the game now, about 6 hours in, and really quite honestly bored. I'll go through this thread later to see what others thought but generally:
  • Does it ever get interesting in a way that warrants its 100 hour length?
  • Is there anything to story/characters that stands out compared to other JRPGs?
  • (Edit) Does the combat get more involved and difficult? It's been super easy so far.

I've looked around the net and people mentioned it's a 'by the books' trope-y JRPG and apparently that's largely what Dragon Quest fans like.

I have no issue with that as we all have our preferences but if that is indeed true I'm kinda eager to know as I dunno if it's for me...

Last edited:
Can I play the tockle quests in 3d? I just did the first rainbow mine quest and it was pure torture. The turns take so fucking long compared to 3d its unbelieveable.

Ulysses 31

• (Edit) Does the combat get more involved and difficult? It's been super easy so far.
Looks like you forgot to turn on "strong monsters" in the draconian settings when creating a name. :lollipop_grinning:

With it you have make much more use of your spells and buffs/debuffs and you can't sleep walk through 99% of the battles.

Last edited:

ROMhack

Looks like you forgot to turn on "strong monsters" in the draconian settings when creating a name. :lollipop_grinning:

With it you have make much more use of your spells and buffs/debuffs and you can't sleep walk through 99% of the battles.

I did. I was also warned in advance about it so I'm happy to hold my hands up.

Also, the game got more interesting after I left Cobblestone for the second time. Very happy to say that.

Top Bottom