• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Online Alpha Test (JP & PS3 ONLY)

Anko

http://www.dd-on.jp/test/alpha/
The Dragon's Dogma Alpha test will begin in April. Recruitment will be open until the 20th of Apr and the alpha test will be from 20-28th Apr.

However, the bad news is that the FAQ states that you can only play from within Japan. They have IP region locked the alpha test.

To enter the alpha test, purchase the ドラゴンズドグマ オンラインPS3(R)版 アルファテスト応募券 from the JP PS Store. The blue button at the top of the alpha test website will bring you to the page on the web PS3 store front. Those chosen for the alpha test will be notified by email on the 15th of April.

Some things to note:
  • Game is currently scheduled to officially launch in Japan in 2015
  • Alpha test is for Japan only. IP locked.
  • The alpha test will only be for PS3, with other platforms scheduled for future tests (see below)
  • You will need at least 4GB of HDD space for the client & 1420KB for the save data
  • A connection is required for play. Recommended connection of at least 1.0Mbps
  • You will need a COG account in addition to your PSN account. You will need to link it and once it is linked, it is not possible to unlink it. Only 1 COG account per PSN account is allowed.
  • It is possible to continue using the client made available during the alpha test period when the game is officially released. There is no need to re-download it.
  • Everyone will be able to download the client during this period, but only the selected participants will be able to play
  • Players will be able to choose from four jobs (Fighter, Hunter, Priest, Shield Sage) in this alpha test
  • Players can change their job freely at any time
  • Level cap of 10
  • One character per account only
  • You will be able to create a pawn once you complete the quest for it. Story quests made available will be the various quests up to this pawn quest.
  • All characters and progress will be erased once the test is over
  • Players will be able to go on a 4 or 8 player mp mission
  • Four fields will be made available: 「白竜神殿レーゼ」、「ハイデル平原」、「ブリア海岸」、「ミスリウ森林」
  • Participants will be awarded with a starter pack for the main game when it launches (mostly recovery items, keys, basic usable items)
  • Alpha test is playable only from 10:00~20:00 JST

Here are some dates regarding the alpha test:
2015/4/7-2015/4/20 Alpha test player recruitment period
2015/4/15-2015/4/30 Period the client is available for download on PSN
2015/4/15 Notification of successful alpha test player applicants (sent to PSN registered email)
2015/4/20-2015/4/28 Alpha test period
2015/5/8 Start of feedback reporting period (tentative)

They plan to conduct a few more tests in the future for other platforms as well
Alpha Test
Period: April 20 - April 28
Platform: PS3

Closed Beta Test
Period: Summer of 2015
Platform: PS4, PS3, PC

Large scale, simultaneous connection server test
Period: TBA
Platform: PS4, PS3, PC
I think it is safe to assume that all these are JP only as well. CBT is on PC as well so prep your VPNs.

Site also states that the DD series has sold over 2.2 million copies to date.

Make fournival my beloved if old. First thread so please be gentle.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
JapanGAF had better get the sweet details on how everything works and report back here STAT.

Aldia

Banned
Hmm, I might try it.

Being an MMO on PS3 pretty much sealed that.

I was under the impression that it's not an MMO in the traditional sense of the word, but more of an "online action RPG" kinda thing. Is it actually just an MMO?

Aeana

I was under the impression that it's not an MMO in the traditional sense of the word, but more of an "online action RPG" kinda thing. Is it actually just an MMO?

I assume it isn't a fully-fledged MMO, but I haven't followed it closely.

jiggle

IP locked?
DAT fuck

Do I need VPN? :(

I assume it isn't a fully-fledged MMO, but I haven't followed it closely.
Looking like a reskinned ffxiv
1428586148-6.jpg

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
The menus look heavily geared towards PC. Egh. I mean cool for PC players, but on console, I'd prefer the old menu with small improvements.

Anko

Can we even use VPN with the PS3?

At the very least, we can try the closed beta for PC in summer but I think Alpha will be pretty hard if they IP lock. If it's a hardware lock, then I'll be fine since my PS3 is from JP. I'll still try to enter anyway. I entered before even noticing the FAQ.

JapanGAF! Please play and report back. I need to know if the Hunter has the abilities of the magick archer from DD.

Jon Armdog

Glad to see that 2.2 million sold bit. I didn't realize DD sold that many copies. Good stuff! Now, get DDO out west, and give us a remastered PC version of Dark Arisen

BadWolf

Awesome, hope we get some footage of the test. Would be great if some JP GAFers get in.

Just need a western release confirmation now...

Mesoian

I want plenty of footage eventual 7 people from here that get into the alpha.

Let me know if it's true.

Let me know if this is sufficiently dragon's dogma.

Anko

I got my alpha test invite yesterday when they sent out the second batch. However, as we have feared, it is IP locked. Launching the client immediately puts me on a screen telling me I can't play since their service is only meant for those in Japan.

Right now, I have a spare alpha test code that I can't use. Let me know if anyone who is living in Japan wants a code.
EDIT: I've given the code away

Pooya

I got my alpha test invite yesterday when they sent out the second batch. However, as we have feared, it is IP locked. Launching the client immediately puts me on a screen telling me I can't play since their service is only meant for those in Japan.

RIP, I would love to play this game but not enough to go through VPN laggy hell.

Anko

when a version for the PC is being worked on, it doesn't come to the west. figures. smh

DDO was trademarked in the Europe I think? So I think the chances of seeing a western release isn't zero. They're still only at the Alpha testing stage so it's a little premature to assume that they're not bringing it over. Japan first, I guess.

Freak

So is this going to be another MMO? I loved DD & Dark Arisen and was hoping Capcom would make a sequel with coop enabled, so i could swap out a pawn for a RL buddy.
Would love to see some info that this isnt just another waste of time MMO.

UrbanRats

I just hope they haven't changed the character creator with some cheekbones-slider bullshit.
DD's character creator was one of the best, simple but effective.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

Right now, I have a spare alpha test code that I can't use. Let me know if anyone who is living in Japan wants a code.
Sent you a PM. :)

I can't believe that I forgot to apply for the alpha despite being up to date with the information regarding the game.

Top Bottom