• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drop down add banner blocking site navigation buttons

th4tguy

kvw6G9i.png
j0htsWy.png

Above is an example of my every interaction with the site. I’m happy to deal with ads. It’s how this site stays up and it’s a necessity but please please please stop using a pinned, retractable ad at the top of the page. It blocks navigation buttons and is just super annoying. In general, blocking site links/ icons with ads just isn’t great layout.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The NeoGAF mobile experience:

iXy6S3n.jpg

You can’t access top navbar when you scroll down. So when you are all the way at the bottom of the conversation, you have scroll forever until you are at the very top to access basic functionality. Not to mention that ads break the page flow (at least on iOS / Chrome) and sometimes you simply can't scroll at all and have to reload the page over and over.

Edit: changing body padding-top to 0px and that ad element (ins) top to 50px fixes the problem.

Last edited:

Regginator

This thread reminds me to ask a question I've always meant to ask but never really bothered with:

How are you supposed to view notifications on mobile? Like, I can see the amount of notifications (e.g. +3 or whatever) but there's no way to click wherever to actually display them. On a desktop, you just click the notification bell and a little drop-down menu gives you an overview of the notification. But on my phone, I always have to either temporarily revert to "desktop view" on mobile (Galaxy Internet) or just not read the notifications until I'm behind my pc.

I'm not a digitally illiterate boomer or whatever, I'm a certified Millennial™ (capital M), but fuck me I have no idea.

Lunarorbit

This thread reminds me to ask a question I've always meant to ask but never really bothered with:

How are you supposed to view notifications on mobile? Like, I can see the amount of notifications (e.g. +3 or whatever) but there's no way to click wherever to actually display them. On a desktop, you just click the notification bell and a little drop-down menu gives you an overview of the notification. But on my phone, I always have to either temporarily revert to "desktop view" on mobile (Galaxy Internet) or just not read the notifications until I'm behind my pc.

I'm not a digitally illiterate boomer or whatever, I'm a certified Millennial™ (capital M), but fuck me I have no idea.
To see the notification bell on mobile I just tap the drop down banners arrow symbol. Then the bell,search, and mail features show up on the right hand side

th4tguy

My silence may have been purchased for the month but my gold is gone now and the banner is back. Based off the comments in the thread, I actually wondered if it had been addressed but it does not appear to be so.

Even if we left the banner at the top of the page, could we not space the navbar below it? Less real estate on the screen overall but still better than losing the ability to use the navbar without first interacting with an ad.

th4tguy

Lol love theres a thread about this…

Its prob purposeful to get more clicks
Maybe... probably... but you can still have the navbar visible and still do a dropdown ad like they have. The incentive for clicking the ad would be to gain more visibility of the site, without sacrificing the navbar.

Cohetedor

I've actually enjoyed the ads the past few weeks, I shopped for a NFL t-shirt and somehow triggered ads with hot women in sports bras and panties. I'm quite content with those inserted between posts.

TDiddyLive

I went on eBay for the first time in forever and got this combo of ads not even close to what I looked at, but that bottom ad has me curious…
KOo8lB8.png

Top Bottom