• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 9 is a PS4 title in Japan, adds Cheng Pu

Status
Not open for further replies.
”State Combo" is a new system that lets players react in different ways depending on the situation. The combo starts with a trigger attack, follows up with a flow of consecutive attacks that change based on the state of the enemy, and ends with a strong finish attack.
I do not like the sound of that. Each time I press a button, I wanna know exactly what kind of attack I'm gonna do.

Tiu Neo

Finally, Cheng Pu! It was weird how he was there as a generic since 2. Does this mean they are focusing on earlier war again?

If so, I hope we get Liao Hua. I would like another Yellow Turban, too.

NeonZ

Everything definitely sounds interesting. Being able to pick up stuff on the environment to attack your opponents like in Hokuto Musou, "toned down" costumes and a new attack system. Bows are finally back, too!

But on the other hand, single char Musou stories are back, along with swimming and the like.

It's certainly ambitious, but who knows how much they'll get right in the first game. I'll be rooting them on, though.

Reading the spoilers posted on 2ch, they also mention that the main course of events is the same and doesn't change though. It sounds like you won't get different stories for each officer, but rather you choose an officer to play through different periods and points of view.

Unknown?

I wouldn't rule out a Xbox Version for the West. For Japan it makes sense to only release it on PS4.
Wouldn't rule it out but wouldn't assume anything either. DW8 XL never came to Xbox. Empires did but none of the Samurai Warriors games did either. Not surprising if it doesn't go to Xbox tbh.

salromano

Gematsu and others are still playing catch up to BlackKite on Twitter.

All of his compiled info can be found here: http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/9028116/

And here: http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/single/?p=30112071&t=9028007

Had pretty much all that info in our post 30 minutes before you posted that. Even posted on the first page that it was updated. =/

Anyway, I haven't played any of the other Dynasty Warriors games before, but this one sounds promising. I'll be keeping an eye out. :3

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
that was the news he was talking about?

also let me guess cheng pu is a 20 something year old dude with host hair like every toher new DW character these days

Reknoc

also let me guess cheng pu is a 20 something year old dude with host hair like every toher new DW character these days

Well this is his Blast portrait:

LPprtap.jpg

Only PS4 ? I remember these games used to come to Xbox as well ( don't have an Xbox so I don't remember )

That is the shock? Not the lack of Vita! *table flip*

Edit: Been a bit since I've played the main series so excited to see what this offers. I think 2 was one of my first games on PS2.

Character models are being reworked from scratch to fit PS4-grade graphics.
Wasn't improbable but happy they're not just revamping the PS4 version of DW8XL lol
The warlords' costumes are being updated. This time, we're cutting back on the flashiness and aiming for something that more realistically matches that period.
Larger maps, more persistence, hunting, and now also outfits more similar to RTK -- excited.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
As long as Lu Bu is like Sauron from the prologue in Fellowship of the Ring I'll be good

Is Dynasty Warriors popular on Xbox? Doesn't seem like the kind of series that would do well on Xbox. Even accounting for PC's low sales (related to the port quality, not lack of interest), I wouldn't be surprised if the PC version was significantly more popular.

ZangBa

Can't believe it took until DW9 for Cheng Pu to be added. Most of the important characters have been covered at this point, but Wu needs more late game officers. Lu Kang and Zhuge Ke are the obvious ones. Liao Hua for Shu, just because the guy lives from the beginning to end pretty much. Hopefully the Others get some respek this time around.

Evilisk

I think Cheng Pu will be safe from that

He's supposed to be one of the Wu veterans under Sun Jian, I think, and it's not like the other Wu veterans like Han Dang and Huang Gai are teenagers.

Though I could be wrong, I mean I never expected Yue Jin to end up like this

(I still like Yue Jin despite his appearance though)

Gematsu and others are still playing catch up to BlackKite on Twitter.

All of his compiled info can be found here: http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/9028116/

And here: http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/single/?p=30112071&t=9028007

I just noticed this:

On 31 March 2017, Producer Suzuki held a poll on Twitter asking if the fans prefer Liu Bei with mustache or not. The poll ended with the mustache winning 67% of the votes.

Good

Everything I've read just makes me excited. If DW8 was a pretty great game overall, but a shake up the musou formula is really welcome.

I never understood this way of marketing.i mean if the game is developed for Xbox one and released on the xbox one in the west. How much it cost to change the game cover to Japanese and sell the game in Japan ? Even if it sell a 2000 copy on Xbox. It's still money .

I'm not aware that 2000 total units Xbox One have sold in Japan...

wedca

The warlords’ costumes are being updated. This time, we’re cutting back on the flashiness and aiming for something that more realistically matches that period.

Boooo!! Hiss! [lots of angry crowd noises]

This makes me think that there is going to be so much cosmetic DLC.

It is cool that they are experimenting, could lead to something great down the line even if this particular iteration is spotty. I'm not saying it will be but these are a lot of changes so I could see it being a little bit half-baked.

This all sounds good and I hope they can do it. Been way too long for them to add Cheng Pu should have been added a long time ago.

The new battle system sounds decent. It sounds like it's more free form now. But we will see how it's actually implemented.

New models and dialing back on the flashiness sounds good. I didn't care for the flashiness so it works either way for me.

Three features I want most in this game:

1. the Strategems from DW7/8 Empires. Best feature to be implemented in the franchise in years. YEARS.

2. The ability to run on water

K8kUEi.gif

3. The ability to run on walls

KTTHkq.gif

Make it happen Omega Force. Please.

HOLY SHIT, CHENG PU!? itsbeen84years.gif

That's awesome. Dude was always one of the folks that showed up everywhere but was still a generic model.

last time they tried ot change the combat
Dynasty_Warriors_6_Game_Cover.jpg

barf

Also yeah, I hope the game isn't just DW6 again. All that innovation making a much worse game.

Can't believe it took until DW9 for Cheng Pu to be added. Most of the important characters have been covered at this point, but Wu needs more late game officers. Lu Kang and Zhuge Ke are the obvious ones. Liao Hua for Shu, just because the guy lives from the beginning to end pretty much. Hopefully the Others get some respek this time around.
Wish we'd get He Jin playable with the RTK3 pig armor (not that he'd have much role but could use him to beat up some Yellow Turbans at least) ... hhhh though if Dong Zhuo looks like his RTK13 portrait that'd be awesome enough.

more Dong Zhuo officers like Guo Si, Li Jue, and Fan Chou the ones that go after Changan after Dong Zhuo dies.

or for that matter, any of the sort of Anding/Tianshui/Liang officers: not just the sons but Ma Teng himself; more of Han Sui and the Han Sui Knights, some of the other Liang region horsemen like Han Sui's son in law Yan Xing who was able to corner Ma Chao; maybe some of the chiefs like the nomadic Xiongnu chief Hu Chuquan (he was in RTK13) or how about Shamoke hhh ;p

I spent much of my RTK time growing out of Liang through to Luoyang so would be cool to see a few more of those guys, though in the grand scheme of the actual Three Kingdoms they're pretty minor (since they're sort of more involved in the Luoyang/Changan stuff right before Cao Cao's rise).

Same with Yan Ling and Wen Chou, though was happy just to see the cutscenes they got in RTK13.

all that said, give me good character models for Ma Chao (or getting rid of the awful Ma Die design hhh), Pang De, and Dong Zhuo, and I'm usually pretty content :D most of the other hopes are just musings if I got just one of those officers in a DW9 expansion that alone would make me excited ;p

Reading the spoilers posted on 2ch, they also mention that the main course of events is the same and doesn't change though. It sounds like you won't get different stories for each officer, but rather you choose an officer to play through different periods and points of view.
Hopefully this + the fact that we aren't getting any 'what if' alternate scenarios means that we'll play as a character until their historical death, and subsequently choose another character's POV to play through in Story mode.

And if you wanna play as a certain character in a stage that they wouldn't have appeared in normally, BAM Free Mode to the rescue. That is assuming Free Mode's still in this, which it better be.

Laplasakos

I never played a DW game before (or any musou game). All this info, especially the open world part and climbing mechanic sounds very interesting so i think it will be the best place to start with the series.

All of this sounds crazy and exactly as I thought it would turn out.

Besides the combat. I don't really get it. So to me, it sounds like square and triangle, but with a finisher? Like contextual?

My only beef with that is it might limit freedom. Sure, maybe C3 wasn't the best at breaking shields, but you should let the player do it if they want to.

On the flipside, if things change when you press the sequence button, it'd be cool. Like you are fighting a shield guy, and after you start your trigger, you go into a few presses of the sequence. Maybe it makes your character dash behind the enemy to get past the shield or does a knockdown/sweep. If you press finisher for the former, you'd blow them away with an AOE attack, but the latter lets you focus all that damage on a single target while keeping them there for some oki.

I know DW ain't advanced, but if they do a system even close to that, I'll be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom