• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earliest Mayan calender found."2012" aint happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

legacyzero

Banned
Make fun of me, call me names, and lock if old.

http://news.yahoo.com/nevermind-apocalypse-earliest-mayan-calendar-found-180438279.html

Article:
The Maya recorded time in a series of cycles, including 400-year chunks called baktuns. It's these baktuns that have led to rumors of an end-of-the-world catastrophe on Dec. 21, 2012 — on that date, a cycle of 13 baktuns will be complete. But the idea that this means the end of the world is a misconception, Stuart said. In fact, Maya experts have known for a long time that the calendar doesn't end after the 13th baktun. It simply begins a new cycle. And the calendar encompasses much larger units than the baktun.

In one column, the ancient scribe even worked out a cycle of time recording 17 baktuns, the researchers found. In another spot, someone etched a "ring number" into the wall. These notations were used to record time in a previous cycle, thousands of years into the past. The calendar also appears to note the cycles of Mars and Venus, the researchers said. Symbols of gods head the top of each lunar cycle, suggesting that each cycle had its own patron deity.

"There was a lot more to the Maya calendar than just 13 baktuns," Stuart said.

Interesting article. This doomsday stuff is madness.

It's hard not to believe some of it right? RIGHT?.......Not even a little bit?

Pretty sure this was posted.

What if it's an elaborate ruse by the Precursors?

Giorgio might still be right, dude.

422593_10150661739662270_147897627269_8952507_1484384061_n.jpg

Still happening. I've watched loads of Youtube videos on it. There is #too# much weird stuff going on for it not to be near the end of the world.

Izick

Fuck, does this mean that the wackos are going to use this as an excuse to say that the "real" end of the world is going to come in some other arbitrary time now? How convenient that this happens like 7 months prior.

Rapstah

Still happening. I've watched loads of Youtube videos on it. There is #too# much weird stuff going on for it not to be near the end of the world.

You should read about the crazy shit people thought was happening in the year 666, and afterwards, what crazy shit was going around about what people thought had happened in the year 666. Those years must have been the rumour monger's dream. Except for the whole 1400 years ago thing.

Orayn

I like that people are getting worked up over the Mayans (not) predicting a supernatural apocalypse without questioning whether or not such a thing is even possible.

Giorgio A. Tsoukalos.jpg

"NO IT ISN'T."

You should read about the crazy shit people thought was happening in the year 666, and afterwards, what crazy shit was going around about what people thought had happened in the year 666. Those years must have been the rumour monger's dream. Except for the whole 1400 years ago thing.

They're right this time, I know it. I'm considering selling all my possessions and seeing the world for a few months since the end is so close.

Izick

Yeah, that's almost like how weegee
AWQbR.jpg
boards or psychics work, right? Once you have it in your mind that this stuff is real, then you're going to try and convince yourself that every little thing is a "sign" or whatever. It's just bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom