• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edgar Wright To Direct Stephen King’s ‘The Running Man’

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
From Deadline

Paramount Pictures is making a deal with Edgar Wright to develop to direct a new adaptation of The Running Man, the futuristic novel by Stephen King that the author first published under the pseudonym Richard Bachman. This won’t be a remake of the 1987 film that starred Arnold Schwarzenegger; the Baby Driver writer-director will co-write the story with Michael Bacall, and they will be much more faithful to King’s bestselling novel. Bacall will write the script.

Ovek

7Member7
Nothing will ever beat my man Dynamo.

Lx2WdR.gif

jason10mm

Gold Member
Bought damn time! Could be a scathing condemnation of social media, celebrity culture, and the need for the unknown to attempt ludicrous risks in order to become wealthy/famous. I expect a very "non-Trump" Trump figure to lead the show :p

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one that really likes Edgar Wright? I think this could be pretty good.

Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Baby Driver. All fantastic films to me.

I do like the original Running Man, but I would be curious about a remake. Likely won't be the same without Arnie, though.

Rockmaninoff

Neo Member
Am I the only one that really likes Edgar Wright? I think this could be pretty good.

I do like the original Running Man, but I would be curious about a remake. Likely won't be the same without Arnie, though.
I'm a huge fan of Edgar Wright. I hope he doesn't screw this up. The original Running Man is a classic!

Baby Driver and Scott Pilgrim made me want to vomit.

I love the original movie, but this is one of the weaker stories King wrote under pseudonym Richard Bachman. BTW, a movie based on The Long Walk is also supposed be in the works.

xrnzaaas

Calling it now that it's going to be an innocent afroamerican running man (or a woman) hunted down in white nazi America. And the finale will take place at Trump Tower.

The book was fun to read, but as with most of King's work the original ending was shit. I really liked Arnie's movie even though it is kinda silly to watch.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Who is son pegg and nick frost going to play?

make the running man but with the spaced cast, just make a spaced movie but with a running man subplot

Last edited:

Peggies

Gold Member
Wow, this is going to be

high five power rangers GIF

Edgar rocks!

Edgar Wright is one of the best directors in the biz. Only blight on his resume is his stint with Marvel. So yeah, I'm really looking forward to this.

Everyone freaking out about this has never read the original Stephen King book like I have, it's completely different than the Arnold movie.

A remake more faithful to the Stephen King book is a worthy project if you ask me.

It's still weird to me though to think that Arnold Schwarzenegger of all people starred in a Stephen King adaption of all things, even if it was a very loose adaption (what would Arnold in a more typical Stephen King movie look like?)

wondermega

I usually wince at such news, but honestly as a kid I really enjoyed the original novel. It was extremely different than Arnold's film (which was also enjoyable, but in a completely different way) so I am absolutely interested to hear more about this. Total Recall and Robocop reboots had zero interest for me (perhaps if they reviewed well I may have checked them out) but this situation does seem different.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never knew the movie was based off a Stephen King book. I read the novel plot and it's basically nothing like the movie except for a high level story of a dude on the run from a killer game show. Everything else is totally different.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Everyone freaking out about this has never read the original Stephen King book like I have, it's completely different than the Arnold movie.

A remake more faithful to the Stephen King book is a worthy project if you ask me.

It's still weird to me though to think that Arnold Schwarzenegger of all people starred in a Stephen King adaption of all things, even if it was a very loose adaption (what would Arnold in a more typical Stephen King movie look like?)
The carrie remake was supposed to be more faithful too and that ended up being a load of bull. They always say this sort of thing and it almost never is.

Teletraan1

Banned
After watching Total Recall, Carrie, IT and a bunch of other movies that were supposed to be more inline with with source material and turned out worse my interest is sub zero, add in current year wokeness now plain zero.

Top Bottom