• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes Pre-Order Trailer

iSy7vLX.png

EusXPq5.png

QnFV4zF.png

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Although I'm glad we're getting this game, I wish developers would stop this trend of placing low resolution sprites on top of 3D environments with photorealistic lighting.

It's just looks ugly.

U.S Amazon link?
Sorry for the late reply on this, but there's no listing at the minute on Amazon US. That said, a physical copy was one of the reward tiers during the Kickstarter campaign, so it should hopefully receive a retail release as well come next year.

Oh and oddly enough, a local gaming store from which I buy most of my physical games from already has it up for preorder for around $40 converted from my local currency. 🤔

image.png

Last edited:

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Holy fuckin Suikoden. Wow Ill be adding this to my radar!!

Ive actually never really noticed this series but I was big Suikoden fan growing up. Are the previous ones worth playing today? Just saw Chronicle Rising is on gamepass.

Edit - actually looking more into it, looks like Chronicle Rising is a mini-prologue for this game. Ill check it out.

Last edited:

Fbh

Looks great.
I've been enjoying these mid and low budget JRPG's these past few years more than most big budget games. Triangle Strategy, Chained Echoes, Sea of Stars, etc

Minsc

Gold Member
The trailer I saw the other day for this game - just looks fun as all hell. I can't wait to play it, hopefully it is every bit as epic and crazy as the trailer looks.

CamHostage

Although I'm glad we're getting this game, I wish developers would stop this trend of placing low resolution sprites on top of 3D environments with photorealistic lighting.

These are pretty far from "low resolution" sprites, but either way, the "2.5D" visual design of Eiyuden Chronicle is what the game was first pitched on. It's an evolution of the visual style of Suikoden (for obvious reason, given Suikoden's Yoshitaka Murayama is its producer/director.) Those who have invested interest in and backing of this game do not find it ugly.

Whether or not the 2.5D (or "2D HD" in some Square Enix projects) is ugly is up for discussion. The garish use of lighting effects can make characters stick out despite its intention to ground characters in the reality of the world, and while modern sprites (or vector graphics) can look detailed and expressive with enough money applied to the design and animation, there is still always going to be a limitation of animation frames where characters moving off-axis or being rotated around just cannot enough assets to remain sooth in motion (and so far cannot be blended with any technology to tween the difference, probably never will since 2D poses are specifically designed for the visible plane.) You can perspective-correct, you can apply shader effects and depth-of-field to apply 3D reality to elements of a 2D surface, you can add extra animation sequences to accommodate unusual angles, but it's still going to sometimes seem choppy.

To me, when controlled well, I find the look more pleasing for its flaws since I can see the human touch put into the art. Furthermore I enjoy 2.5 experimentation as it pushes beyond the limitations 2D has run up against since the PS1/PS2 era where full-resolution paintings could be used as background assets. (And that was when budgets were sky-high for that kind of art; now, that kind of manual production work is difficult to afford.) 2.5D has its issues, and designers have overdone the effects work at times, but there are some fantastic examples of 2D and 3D being merged well IMO.

Last edited:

graywolf323

I’ll still likely double dip and get it on Steam from a sale for the digital deluxe but I’m still a bit irritated that I won’t get the pre-order bonuses for my backer copy on PS5

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Dammit. I haven't even finished the games from last year. I am so excited for this just for the world map, battles, and music by Michiko Naruke

Deerock71

For those that backed the game, steam codes for the closed beta have now been sent out. Unfortunately you can only play the beta on steam only.

Check your kickstarter emails for more info.
I'm not going to be able to play it, but this is still awesome news. I backed this game but I'm getting Switch or it's successor version.

saintjules

I'm not going to be able to play it, but this is still awesome news. I backed this game but I'm getting Switch or it's successor version.

Yeah, backed as well. I'm not a huge PC player, but will try it this week. I believe you can't play it until tomorrow anyway or something.

Comandr

Backer beta is live. Performance is pretty good. Not many graphics options. Don’t like the bloom applied to the sprite characters - a complaint that echoes from my SO2R criticisms. But unlike that game; the sprite characters here look like they belong in this world. Game’s really pretty.

One other complaint is that the UI resolution seems to be tied to the render resolution. So the lower you go, UI elements become blurrier and less defined. This is true for text, any graphics, character portraits, etc.

Last edited:

Ce'Nedra

Neo Member
I have a big hype for this game, but not sure if the deluxe is that worth, 80 euros in Spain compared to 49…. Is a big difference. Also the dlcs will be long or typical 2-3h and bye?

Top Bottom