• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Game Store now requires 2FA for claiming free games

Thabass

News today from Epic Games about claiming free games within Epic Games Store for dates April 28th - May 21st.

1200px-Epic_Games_logo.svg.png

Beginning today and ending on May 21, we will periodically require two-factor authentication prior to claiming free games on the Epic Games Store. We are making this change in an effort to encourage our players to take steps to strengthen their Epic account security.

If you do not have two-factor authentication enabled on your account, you will see the following message when attempting to claim a free game:

Two Factor Authentication Required

Claiming this free game requires you to have Two-Factor Authentication setup on your account. Two-Factor Authentication provides an additional level of security to your Epic Games account and will help prevent unauthorized access.”

In order to enable two-factor authentication, please head over to your Epic Games Account settings. Two-factor authentication can be used to help protect your account from unauthorized access by requiring you to enter a security code when you sign in. You can read a full how-to guide on enabling two-factor authentication here.

We understand that this is a minor inconvenience for some, but we want to provide the best possible solutions to protect your Epic account.

Last edited:
Well in this type of world we live now it is a must, sadly I am a bit lazy, but planning to have 2FA soon on everything I have.

Fbh

Seems reasonable enough.
It will probably help their customer service team reduce the number of people thay have to deal with that complain about their account getting hacked while also using the same weak password for every site and not having 2FA enabled.

It's bad if they mandate you giving them your phone number.

You don't have to give your phone number.
You can use an Email or one of several authenticator apps (google, lastpass, microsoft, Authy)

Last edited:
Jeez, what's next? Digital implants for literally body 2-stepping authentication? WALK TWO STEPS TO BUY A GAME! WHEN WILL THE MADNESS STOP! Activision can suck my Game Pass.

Holammer

Since they're paying a couple of cents per claimed copy, this is a good idea to discourage shady publishers from making scripts that registers bogus EGS accounts.

Jayjayhd34

Seems reasonable enough.
It will probably help their customer service team reduce the number of people thay have to deal with that complain about their account getting hacked while also using the same weak password for every site and not having 2FA enabled.

You don't have to give your phone number.
You can use an Email or one of several authenticator apps (google, lastpass, microsoft, Authy)

With authenticator apps what happens if loose access to the phone?

Fbh

With authenticator apps what happens if loose access to the phone?

When setting it up it gives you a list with a bunch of one time use "backup codes" that you can use in case you loose access to your phone.
I imagine if you loose your phone AND your backup codes you can try contacting their customer support

Also some authenticators have backup options that should allow you to access them even if you can no longer access your phone

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Yeah, if they would have asked for a phone number I would just told them to fuck off and enjoyed the free games I've got so far.

Said so, I *hate* being forced to have a 2FA, even on mail, but whatever. For EGS I'm using a secondaty antispam mail and, in any case, I'm not giving them any money anyway. Much less now.

I mean, that's kinda nice?
It's not.

Last edited:

GHG

Why do people care about giving up their phone number for 2FA?

Why do people not understand that setting up 2FA doesn't necessarily require a phone number?

This hasn't ever been the case. I've never set it up for any of my clients in a way that a telephone number is the only option.

Top Bottom