• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: The sad, slow death of Lego Dimensions

Qwark

It never really made sense. The Travellers Tales gameplay formula was only popular with kids but the add-on packs were (mostly) 80s/90s kids franchises with no relevance to their target audience. What 7 year old wants to play as Beetlejuice?

I've been wondering who was calling the shots on IPs for a while. It seemed like WB was really trying to keep it in-house with all the DC and HB stuff, so if they were keen on pushing the 80s properties maybe they're to blame.

The idea is that there would be content for the kids, as well as content for the parents buying/playing with their kids. You know, stuff they could teach their kids about and relate to them about. Also, I think the developers were just having a lot of fun with the stuff they liked.

MrMephistoX

Man toys to life seemed like it was gonna be something that was going to last longer than it did. It was big and then just sort of died out in a span of 4-5 years.

Yeah I would have thought Infinity out of all of them would have outlasted them all but the suits at Disney cut it off before it could get really interesting if the rumors were to be believed. It sucks because I think the concept of adding characters via toys is a great one but the toy part proved more costly than the game. Even if the starter pack is a smash hit if the toys do t sell it’s a losing value prop...kinda what killed Rockband and Guitar hero...too much unsold plastic shit.

Oersted

If you consider amiibo toys-to-life, yeah. I don't know if Skylanders is officially dead or not, but not heard anything new about it in a good while

Put on hold. Cartoon series only at this point.

I feel bad for the retailers. I remember Skylanders overrun by kids everyday. Now entire sections are catching dust with no replacement in sight.

Yeah I would have thought Infinity out of all of them would have outlasted them all but the suits at Disney cut it off before it could get really interesting if the rumors were to be believed. It sucks because I think the concept of adding characters via toys is a great one but the toy part proved more costly than the game. Even if the starter pack is a smash hit if the toys do t sell it’s a losing value prop...kinda what killed Rockband and Guitar hero...too much unsold plastic shit.

Disney planned to release taller figurines and ask for 45 dollars for them.

Just give me a standalone Doctor Who game now please.

This, I would pay through the nose for Lego Doctor Who.

I bought the Doctor Who sets for Lego Dimensions, but otherwise I wasn't too interested in the game. I'm a big Lego fan and collector but my primary interest is Star Wars, which was unrepresented in this game (for obvious reasons). I thought the crossover storyline and use of the real actors was really creative, but the price tag and barrier to entry was too steep. Coupled with the lack of a PC version and that basically sealed my decision for me.

MrMephistoX

Put on hold. Cartoon series only at this point.

I feel bad for the retailers. I remember Skylanders overrun by kids everyday. Now entire sections are catching dust with no replacement in sight.

Disney planned to release taller figurines and ask for 45 dollars for them.

Not the developers fault though that’s all on consumer products trying to make their own stuff and failing. My point was the games were good but that didn’t matter because of bad bets made by the folks doing the toy part: who thought mass manufacturing Yondu (pre-Mary Poppins Y’all) was a good idea?

Qwark

Just give me a standalone Doctor Who game now please.

This, I would pay through the nose for Lego Doctor Who.

I bought the Doctor Who sets for Lego Dimensions, but otherwise I wasn't too interested in the game. I'm a big Lego fan and collector but my primary interest is Star Wars, which was unrepresented in this game (for obvious reasons). I thought the crossover storyline and use of the real actors was really creative, but the price tag and barrier to entry was too steep. Coupled with the lack of a PC version and that basically sealed my decision for me.

A legit Doctor Who game could be sooo good, there's so much potential. Instead we're stuck with shitty 2D puzzle platformers and Bejeweled clones.

Dr. Worm

Banned
So is amiibo the only toys to life product left standing?

Looks like it.

I'm kinda wondering how much time those have left. Seems like interest in them dropped pretty precipitously after the Smash series ended.

I know Nintendo promised long term support, and it probably helps that it's a first party backing it with the "portal" built into the controllers. No more competition in the space is probably a bump as well.

Ridley327

Looks like it.

I'm kinda wondering how much time those have left. Seems like interest in them dropped pretty precipitously after the Smash series ended.

I know Nintendo promised long term support, and it probably helps that it's a first party backing it with the "portal" built into the controllers. No more competition in the space is probably a bump as well.

The Splatoon 2 line seems to have done really well, and there has certainly been a lot of fervor over the second wave of BotW.

Gabe3208

Banned
The Splatoon 2 line seems to have done really well, and there has certainly been a lot of fervor over the second wave of BotW.

I think amiibo are fine for now because everyone pretty much knows that for the most part, it's just a nice little figurine that can give you some little extras in a game. Also, the content (not for all games, but a good majority of them) is still obtainable through normal gameplay if you don't have the amiibo.

MisterR

The idea is that there would be content for the kids, as well as content for the parents buying/playing with their kids. You know, stuff they could teach their kids about and relate to them about. Also, I think the developers were just having a lot of fun with the stuff they liked.

Yep, they were targeting the parents who would be buying the games for the kids and if you have kids you know that sharing stuff you loved growing up with them is one of the best parts. It was a good strategy, the games and add-ons were just too expensive and the whole concept was a bit confusing.

MrMephistoX

Yep, they were targeting the parents who would be buying the games for the kids and if you have kids you know that sharing stuff you loved growing up with them is one of the best parts. It was a good strategy, the games and add-ons were just too expensive and the whole concept was a bit confusing.

Good strategy but I think the Toys part kind of killed it...I almost wonder if the category could make a comeback with a F2P model and digital character and level packs only not totally neutered like the PC version. I'm thinking the HUB world and two characters are free with a rotating roster like killer instinct...

Hell unboxing videos are such a thing maybe you have a collectible card component too.

Top Bottom