• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-Unity employee told that the developers fought against the recent Unity changes. More resignations coming this week.

Draugoth

Gold Member

Many employees also seem unhappy with management’s decision to change the pricing model. According to former Unity senior software engineer Jono Forbes, who prior to this week worked on the XR and PolySpatial teams (via LinkedIn), the company’s pricing update caused some employees to depart from the company.

“As a Unity employee until this morning, I assure you we fought like hell against this, brought up all the points everyone has, were told answers were coming, and then the announcement went out without warning,”

Forbes wrote on X (Twitter).

“Those of us who care are out — more resignations coming end of week.”

Forbes announced the departure from Unity on September 13 after working at the company for seven years. However, it is unclear how many employees, who couldn’t tolerate the management’s decision to introduce per-install fees, did the same.

Replying to Forbes, New Blood’s Dillion Rogers noted that the “problem with Unity for several years now is that the people running the show aren’t listening to the developers and engineers like yourself.”

Kataploom

Gold Member
They are fleeing because the ship is sinking...

I really doubt the reason they are leaving is because of idealistic ideas of "fairness" in game development.
No but they must have known this backslash was gonna happen and don't want to deal with it, plus many other shit they've been through and this happened to be the trigger for many to just send the company to fuck off

tusharngf

JlcCypo.jpg

CEO John Riccitiello sold 2,000 shares a week before Unity revealed its Runtime Fee​

Last edited:

IAmRei

Ah i recall $1 ammo back then, everyone was shocked with that kind of business model could be existed. Truly evil

jayj

Banned
This company is going to go bust before we know it. They done, doomed, finished. Funny how this was probably done to please shareholders, when that stock is going to crash and burn as a result of this. Expect them to go bankrupt before long.

bitbydeath

Are all existing Unity games getting snapped out of existence when the new pricing takes effect, or does it only impact new titles?

Last edited:

salva

lol didn't know about the $1 reload your ammo fiasco. I mean Battlefield is already dead, would've been deader sooner. And with how they keep increasing the TDK ratio, $1 wouldn't even get you a single kill lel.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This company is going to go bust before we know it. They done, doomed, finished. Funny how this was probably done to please shareholders, when that stock is going to crash and burn as a result of this. Expect them to go bankrupt before long.
Skimming the financials, they got about $2B worth of cash and receivables. The company mostly recently has lost close to a billion the past 12 months. Before that, the going trend was lower at anywhere from $100-500M losses per year. They got enough money to comp any losses for years. But it'll get to a point if they keep losing money that $2B will be gone.

jayj

Banned
Skimming the financials, they got about $2B worth of cash and receivables. The company mostly recently has lost close to a billion the past 12 months. Before that, the going trend was lower at anywhere from $100-500M losses per year. They got enough money to comp any losses for years. But it'll get to a point if they keep losing money that $2B will be gone.
Wow, sounds like they have had a real mismanagement problem for a long time now.

Ah i recall $1 ammo back then, everyone was shocked with that kind of business model could be existed. Truly evil
It's an idea I am not one bit shocked about. It was possibly said in a half joking way (imagine Mike Myers' 1 million dollars to make it even more ridiculous) as a baseline for discussion of what he wants. Come up with something, no limits! It's just a bit backwards in the evolution. I mean coin eating machiens in arcades were basically hardly different. Letting you pay for every retry. People being shocked about something like that really seems naive about what most CEOs and CFOs are basically hired to do. Squeeze their customers and try to get the most out of their own workforce as well, often not paying them a fair share of these profits. I should become rich, on your back, which requires everyone else to not become rich, while ignoring the fact that everyone needs at least a comparatively decent amount of money to even be able to pay your products so it can be funneled to your inflated salary. Capitalists applaud any success no matter how inhuman and short term they got there but such heads are one step away from proper slavery and such greedy ideas are a natural result of the system if goverments, as representatives of people and a more or less functioning civil society, and unions and not listened to employees in an individual company, are not involved enough.

nkarafo

I mean coin eating machines in arcades were basically hardly different.
Arcades were no different than theme park rides. It was fair business. Plus, they didn't allow you to pay unlimited amount of funds in bulk, so it would take too long for someone to bankrupt themselves through that coin slot.

Modern monetization practices are far more predatory and sinister. You can really feel the minds behind them are those cartoony sleazy suits from the movies, who sell their mothers and friends, kick people out of their homes and eat babies at night.

Robb

Gold Member
Doesn’t surprise me. I’ve worked at lots of places by now and when companies restructure/plan major changes they rarely give a crap about what anyone on the actual floor says. Usually the higher-ups just ask to make people feel like they had a say and then they do whatever they feel like regardless of the issues put forward.

Last edited:
Top Bottom