• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout games have surged in popularity following the release of the TV show | Steam CCU doubled overnight, while console players increased by 50%

I never finished FO4. Steam says I put in over 60 hours before I moved on to something else. I wonder if the Steamdeck will play it ok. 86gig install, is large.

Cyberpunkd

Downloading F4 to Steam Deck, time to finish it (only Fallout I didn’t finish). Are the DLC worth it? Does buying the GOTY edition will make me redownload the base game and all the DLC?

LordCBH

Downloading F4 to Steam Deck, time to finish it (only Fallout I didn’t finish). Are the DLC worth it? Does buying the GOTY edition will make me redownload the base game and all the DLC?

Fallout 4 had some really good dlc. Far Harbor is so much better than the base game. I didn’t really like the base game but loved Far Harbor. If you like the base game then probably love far harbor even more

FunkMiller

I'll say one thing, Games Workshop are currently licking their lips about how the Amazon Studios deal with them is going to sell them a whole load of plastic crap.

Xenogears
Chrono trigger
Final Fantasy 6
Half life 2
Shadow of the Colossus
Metal gear solid
Silent hill

They Say hello.

Those are not in the realm of what Hollywood would consider engaging at all. Surely you must realize that.

Voice acting, writing, visuals, style, type of story, narrative, tone…not a chance do most of those have the whole package that would get Hollywood’s attention.

Last edited:

R3TRODYCE

I installed it this morning, launched it and it crashed within the first 3 mins. I felt like it was the universe’s way of telling me to uninstall it so I did.

Skifi28

I installed it this morning, launched it and it crashed within the first 3 mins. I felt like it was the universe’s way of telling me to uninstall it so I did.
I had the same issue when I tried to play a few months ago. The culprit seems to be a very specific setting in the graphics options that doesn't affect visuals, but seems to immediately crash the game when maxed out. I wish I could remember which.

xrnzaaas

111.jpg

Why isn't resetera having a meltdown already?

JackMcGunns

Watched first episode

Very good so far

Don’t care about nerd “Ackhually” lore. It feels accurate enough and better than many game adaptations

First episode, although yes it was good, for me it felt like it was all over the place. Episode 2 however was much better paced and really good imo, can't wait to see the rest.

Bethesda would have been wise to have their next gen update for Fallout 4 to be ready by the release of the series.

I love Bethesda games but I think they have terrible leadership.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For those of you who want to do real time gunplay and no VATS, Fallout games arent the kind since trying to play it like a shooter doesn't feel good.......... unless you do the mod for unlimited ammo and spam gunfire constantly. Then it feels pretty good! lol

StereoVsn

Microsoft need to pull out all the stops to get the FO3 and NV remasters out ASAP.
Bethesda and Todd are still salty about New Vegas being better than any of their Fallout games so NV probably won’t happen.

Edit: I downloaded Fallout 4 with updated mods, Fallout 3 + NV, but fuck it, I am playing Fallout 1 with mods and then Fallout 2. Let’s go old school.

200w.gif

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Bethseda and MS really screwed the pooch having nothing ready to release in conjunction with the series, would of been a perfect time to release remasters of the 1st two on PC and Xbox
Good point, basically what Sony did with TLOU Part 1 Remake and the TV show launch. They did at least plan the Fallout 4 next gen update patch to drop next week though. I personally can't wait to finally play Fallout 4 with that update.

xrnzaaas

Is it just me or is Fallout 3 a dark game? It's problematic when travelling at night or when exploring buildings without many light sources. The flashlight is also really crappy, it only works on a small area directly in front of you. I don't know if it's my memory failing me (I've played the game when it launched) or is it a problem with the BC version (playing on XSX).

Last edited:
Is it just me or is Fallout 3 a dark game? It's problematic when travelling at night or when exploring buildings without many light sources. The flashlight is also really crappy, it only works on a small area directly in front of you. I don't know if it's my memory failing me (I've played the game when it launched) or is it a problem with the BC version (playing on XSX).

Nah, it's definitely a dark game.

Doesn't help that the entire capital wasteland has a turd-colored palette.

And yes, flashlight is shitty in 3 and 4.

Last edited:

Rockman33

Bethseda and MS really screwed the pooch having nothing ready to release in conjunction with the series, would of been a perfect time to release remasters of the 1st two on PC and Xbox
You’re this in a thread that has seen an enormous increase in player activity since the release. And the updated fallout 4 patch is due next week… if anything it worked out really well because people are re-engaging with old games they didn’t have to spend any additional money on.

I will say though it sucks there’s no NEW game in the pipeline.

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
I installed Fallout 3 on PC yesterday.

Anyone have a recommended mod list?

If you bought on Steam, you're going to need to downgrade via a mod patcher. The essential mods for Fallout 3 are all tied to a version before Bethesda did an update out of nowhere back in 2021.

I did all that and broke something. Reinstalled and playing it vanilla. Had to lock the game to 60fps via Nvidia Control Panel as it was running way to fast effecting the game.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

If you bought on Steam, you're going to need to downgrade via a mod patcher. The essential mods for Fallout 3 are all tied to a version before Bethesda did an update out of nowhere back in 2021.

I did all that and broke something. Reinstalled and playing it vanilla. Had to lock the game to 60fps via Nvidia Control Panel as it was running way to fast effecting the game.
I recommend using GoG for the older Bethesda games. It’s a lot safer that way and I haven’t had any issues with them.

Skyrim and Fallout 4 should be fine on Steam, but on GoG side you can just stay in a particular patch level so that’s a plus.

Cyberpunkd

Easy answer: they didn’t think it will be a success. You did not have articles like this after Rings of Power came out.

Bethesda and Todd are still salty about New Vegas being better than any of their Fallout games so NV probably won’t happen.

Edit: I downloaded Fallout 4 with updated mods, Fallout 3 + NV, but fuck it, I am playing Fallout 1 with mods and then Fallout 2. Let’s go old school.

200w.gif
I don't think Bethesda will ever collaborate with a half-competent studio ever again. They still seem to be salty as fuck that New Vegas is considered to be the best Fallout and not one of Bethesda's own Fallouts. That's at least how ZeniMax and Bethesda management appear to me.

I genuinely would not be surprised if Bethesda and Todd were actually still salty about New Vegas. He seems like a dude who'd get salty about getting beaten at his own game, so to speak.

Considering how close Bethesda worked with the show and how salty they have been about New Vegas, I wouldn’t put it past them.

Personally I found writing for the show to be mediocre and nonsensical on quite a few parts. Really don’t get all the gushing about it.
more salt than that lake in utah...

Ozriel

M$FT

No reason why it can’t coincide with Season 2 or 3.
The show’s done its job and significantly boosted the IP.

But yes, it shows some poor strategy from Phil and co. Can’t be that hard to find a good studio to do a remaster

Midn1ght

I had the same issue when I tried to play a few months ago. The culprit seems to be a very specific setting in the graphics options that doesn't affect visuals, but seems to immediately crash the game when maxed out. I wish I could remember which.
" Weapon Debris " in advanced settings. Turn that thing off and you should be good.

Then there's also a infinite loading bug that happens sometimes which apparently is tied to v-sync being turned on. Turning it off and enabling it through Nvidia Control Panel fix the problem somehow (didn't try it myself).

Fucking Bethesda game dude...

Mr Hyde

On PSN there is a whole section dedicated to Fallout games right now. Still waiting for the FO3 and New Vegas remaster.

Last edited:
Top Bottom