• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Saales: Week 41, 2023 (Oct 02 - Oct 08). Detective Pikachu Returns and Mario Red Oled

Famitsu Sales: Week 41, 2023 (Oct 02 - Oct 08)​

Software​

1st Switch Return of Detective Pikachu
85,639 (total 85,639) NEW / Pokemon / October 6, 2023

2nd Switch Game of Life for Nintendo Switch
30,267 (total 30,267) NEW / Takara Tomy / October 6, 2023

3rd PS5 Assassin's Creed Mirage
20,407 (total 20,407) NEW / Ubisoft / October 5, 2023

4th Switch Pikmin 4
15,748 (total 898,284) -14% / Nintendo / July 21, 2023

5th PS5 Sword Art Online Last Recollection
11,740 (total 11,740) NEW / Bandai Namco Entertainment / October 5, 2023

6th PS4 Sword Art Online Last Recollection
8,554 (total 8,554) NEW / Bandai Namco Entertainment / October 5, 2023

7th PS4 Assassin's Creed Mirage
8,029 (total 8,029) NEW / Ubisoft / October 5, 2023

8th Switch Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
7,491 (total 5,508,702) +0% / Nintendo / April 28, 2017

9th Switch Pokemon Scarlet and Violet
6,571 (total 5,151,441) -14% / Pokemon / November 18, 2022

10th Switch EA SPORTS FC 24
6,004 (total 22,489) -64% / Electronic Arts / September 29, 2023

Hardware sales volume​

• Switch - 5,137 (total 19,566,247)
  • Switch Lite - 5,085 (total 5,517,733)
  • Switch Oled - 100,019 (total 5,798,181)
  • PS5 - 31,995 (total 3,901,786)
  • PS5 Digital Edition - 1,759 (total 586,897)
  • Xbox Series X - 571 (total 223,801)
  • Xbox Series S - 424 (total 289,261)
  • PS4 -1,020 (total 7,898,896)
  • New Nintendo 2DS LL - 21 (total 1,192,423)

wtvlcPd.png

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I don't think it will remain strong after a few weeks, but who knows. Maybe they prove me wrong. Pikimin holding on that 4th like a chad, I don't think I ever saw a Pikimin doing that strong(maybe I'm wrong about that as well).

Last edited:

Woopah

Looks the PS audience for Western games has transitioned to PS5 faster than the audience for Japanese games.

Kabelly

I think Mario sales will be a hefty one. I know I'm buying at launch. Plus the marketing is starting to ramp up.

PS5 physical software sales (and, well, PlayStation physical software sales in general) finally seem to be making a more regular appearance in the Top 10. That's great to see.

I think the Portal might be having a big effect here; Japan's got great internet infrastructure so the Portal's basically a convenient portable PS5 long as you have your system on at home in some way.

Sojiro

Another 100k week for the switch! I still don't personally care for the look of that Mario red OLED model, but I am sure it will do well. Detective pikachu seems to have a strong start, but I don't know how long it will stay on the top 10, curious what the drop will be next week. Pikmin 4 still up in the top 5 brings a lot of joy to my heart. Y's X disappearing from the charts is sad to see :(.

Last edited:
Huge growth for Detective Pikachu Returns over the original on the 3DS. Numbers provided by Chris1964 from InstallBase

Famitsu Sales: Week 12, 2018 (Mar 19 - Mar 25)
04./00. [3DS] Detective Pikachu <ADV> (Pokemon Co.) {2018.03.23} (¥4.980) - 34.037 / NEW <40-60%>

Famitsu Sales: Week 41, 2023 (Oct 02 - Oct 08)

01./00. [NSW] Detective Pikachu Returns <ADV> (Pokemon Co.) {2023.10.06} (¥5.980) - 85.639 / NEW

Last edited:

Woopah

PS5 has a big chance to cross 3 million sales for 2023. It will be impressive.
Probably the best year for PS hardware since the PSP in 2010
PS5 physical software sales (and, well, PlayStation physical software sales in general) finally seem to be making a more regular appearance in the Top 10. That's great to see.

I think the Portal might be having a big effect here; Japan's got great internet infrastructure so the Portal's basically a convenient portable PS5 long as you have your system on at home in some way.
I don't think we can base Portal impact or overall PS software performance on a couple of new releases.

We'd first have to see PS games either have legs or have much higher debuts for big games (especially PS5 only ones).
Huge growth for Detective Pikachu Returns over the original on the 3DS. Numbers provided by Chris1964 from InstallBase

Famitsu Sales: Week 12, 2018 (Mar 19 - Mar 25)
04./00. [3DS] Detective Pikachu <ADV> (Pokemon Co.) {2018.03.23} (¥4.980) - 34.037 / NEW <40-60%>

Famitsu Sales: Week 41, 2023 (Oct 02 - Oct 08)

01./00. [NSW] Detective Pikachu Returns <ADV> (Pokemon Co.) {2023.10.06} (¥5.980) - 85.639 / NEW
If I remember correctly, the original launched as digital episodes before it became available at retail.

Alebrije

I don't think it will remain strong after a few weeks, but who knows. Maybe they prove me wrong. Pikimin holding on that 4th like a chad, I don't think I ever saw a Pikimin doing that strong(maybe I'm wrong about that as well).
Pikmin 4 is a beast.

Compared to previous ones...this IP was niche but PK4 transformed it to a mass product

PK5 will sell like pancakes...

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I know he's persona non-grata (e.g. person not welcome) here but he provides some useful insight into the Switch sales based on the available famitsu data.

What useful insight is there that's not in the OP already exactly? That he separates by fiscal year instead of regular ol dating?

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Switch at 3.16 million in 2023 with 12 weeks left of the year, on track to sell 4.5 million for the full year and only 2 million behind the lifetime record of NDS. Lifetime NDS sales are tracked at 32.87 million by Media Creates and 32.99 million officially shipped by Nintendo.

EXiSMTS.png
Doesn't burn as bright, but burns longer

Decent ps5 numbers, but mario switch used up most of the oxygen in the room

Mario games do not have the massive Pokemon sized launches, they sell huge numbers by having strong week on week holds and ridiculous legs so i have no idea how much Super Mario Wonder will sell at launch. However because it is launching late in Switches life cycle i think it will easily outsell odyssey's launch, anyone want to guess how much it can sell at retail in it's launch week?

dvAFExQ.png

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Switch still dominates but PS5 situation is improving. We get to see a couple of games in the top 10. That ain't so bad..

Woopah

Incredible the momentum the Switch will be riding into the release of the Switch 2.
Especially as it has a pretty strong holiday season. I expect to see some good software sales (hopefully the Level 5 games actually arrive on time).
What useful insight is there that's not in the OP already exactly? That he separates by fiscal year instead of regular ol dating?
Basically yes, that Switch is down YoY in terms of calendar year, but up YoY in terms of fiscal year.
Mario games in general don't have the huge Pokemon sized launches, they sell huge numbers by having great week on week holds and ridiculous legs so i have no idea how much Super Mario Wonder will sell at launch. However because it is launching late in Switches life cycle it will easily outsell odyssey's launch, anyone want to guess how much it can sell at retail in it's launch week?

mAdDv7I.png
New Super Mario Bros. Wii did 936,734, physical, so I think Mario Wonder will do 850,000 physical.

Last edited:

Kerotan

PS5 has a big chance to cross 3 million sales for 2023. It will be impressive.
It will be close but the coming weeks won't be helped by stock. The ps5 digital slim is actually a price rise so yet to see how will the ps quintuple do this holiday season.

But here's to more domination. The Xbox sales are too unstable we need a traditional home console that can carry the market and this year the quiny is doing us proud.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Basically yes, that Switch is down YoY in terms of calendar year, but up YoY in terms of fiscal year.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii did 936,734, physical, so I think Mario Wonder will do 850,000 physical.
Which is no insight at all, whether close and gaining or already ahead it's simply crazy good momentum considering it's approaching its 7th year and great sales all around, you don't need the FY definition to see any of it vs what's in the OP. Dunno why I had to state the obvious but there you go.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I went to Best Buy last week to pick up a Switch as a gift for a good friend. They had a bunch of the red OLED models in stock behind the counter, like 20 of them, and no other consoles. But they wouldn't sell one to me because they were saving them for an upcoming ad campaign. So I went to Micro Center and bought a Switch. Best Buy sucks.

Woopah

It will be close but the coming weeks won't be helped by stock. The ps5 digital slim is actually a price rise so yet to see how will the ps quintuple do this holiday season.

But here's to more domination. The Xbox sales are too unstable we need a traditional home console that can carry the market and this year the quiny is doing us proud.
In terms of full game releases PS5's holiday lineup is a bit weak, but Q1 2024 is already looking very strong (which is the complete opposite situation the Switch).

As you point out, stock will also play a part.

So I'd expect Switch to lead in the final weeks of this year, while PS5 grabs back market share (possibly even lead) next year. And Xbox Series to be in 3rd place in both periods.
Which is no insight at all, whether close and gaining or already ahead it's simply crazy good momentum considering it's approaching its 7th year and great sales all around, you don't need the FY definition to see any of it vs what's in the OP. Dunno why I had to state the obvious but there you go.
We know it already has strong sales and momentum, but that doesn't mean everyone realised it was growing vs. last fiscal year.

I know he's persona non-grata (e.g. person not welcome) here but he provides some useful insight into the Switch sales based on the available famitsu data.

Forgot to mention, here's the full report as it's behind a paywall:
Mario-Themed Switch Console Proves a Hit for Nintendo in Japan

image.png

(Bloomberg) -- Nintendo Co.’s Switch sales doubled in Japan on the release of a Super Mario edition of the console, a surprise boost for the six-year-old console that’s pivotal to the gaming firm’s bottom line.

Consumers in Japan bought 110,241 units of the Switch console last week, doubling the amount from the prior week, according to data from market tracker Famitsu. The crimson-red Mario edition went on sale on Friday, and it juiced sales in much the same way that Legend of Zelda and Splatoon custom editions have done over the past year and a half.

The surge, late in the console’s life cycle, shows the depth of fan loyalty for Nintendo’s games. The special edition comes decorated with motifs and icons from the Super Mario universe, but is otherwise no different from the regular OLED model in terms of computing power and storage space. The Kyoto-based hardware and software maker is releasing a new title in the franchise — Super Mario Bros. Wonder, out on Oct. 20 — that could further push up the themed gadget’s sales.

“The numbers they seem to be putting up are surprising considering it’s the same device with a different plastic cover,” Bernstein analyst Robin Zhu said.

Nintendo aims to sell 15 million Switch units globally in the fiscal year to March, which would mark a 17% drop from the previous year. Zhu and analysts including Hideki Yasuda of Toyo Securities expect sales to surpass Nintendo’s typically conservative estimate.

Nintendo got off to a flying start this year with a new Legend of Zelda game and Zelda-themed Switch hardware in the April-June quarter. Mario’s Hollywood movie released in the same quarter was a record breaker at the box office and helped propel hopes for further Mario-related merchandise doing well this year. The weak yen is also likely to have a positive impact on Nintendo’s earnings.

jm89

For sony to become more relevant in japan imo
1. Buy square enix.
2. Improve quality of output
3. Market like hell

Square have so many ips that can be brought back and quality improved on to make impact and give sony more regulator output for japan

Last edited:

Woopah

For sony to become more relevant in japan imo
1. Buy square enix.
2. Improve quality of output
3. Market like hell

Square have so many ips that can be brought back and quality improved on to make impact and give sony more regulator output for japan
Which IPs do you think would have an impact today?

Orbital2060

Luminoth-4545 Luminoth-4545 do you happen to have an updated graph for the total third-party software sales on PlayStation for 2023? I havent been reading install base lately, and last year there was a graph by hiska-kun over all third-party sales on PS for the last 20 years, up to 2022.

so PS5 is the first console after PSP to hit 2 million numbers. PSV, PS3, and PS4 all failed to reach 2 million in a calendar year.
Thats look quite impressive. Let see if it manages that next year also.
I think PS5 will hit around 2.8m this year, next year i don't know but if it can sell 2 million in two consecutive years than that would be very impressive and it would be tracking considerably higher than PS3 and PS4.

Top Bottom