• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: Week 9, 2024 (Feb 26 - Mar 03)

Time will not be an issue for me when I get engrossed in a game or watching movie/tv series. It’s the wait of sequels and of unfinished stories that is worst for me! I’d rather not start. I don’t care about FOMO!
I mean, I get that in a way since I myself can play Yakuza games back to back but... well you are in for a looooong playthrough lol

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
FFXVI and Rebirth are the best selling launch games on a dead console in Japan.

If both these games hypothetically launched for the Switch, we’d be having a very different conversation right now.

But these games couldn't run on the Switch, so what would the game even be?

Woopah

The game wasnt even out yet when these charts were first started being compiled

You should probably leave it a week before jumping on the "OMG FF-FAIL" bandwagon, this chart basically only includes the pre order numbers
It's the first 4 days, which is pretty standard for launch week sales

It is possible for word of mouth to result in good legs. But that is very rare for JRPGs.
While at first glance, those numbers do seem low, but I think they are probably in line with what SE was expecting:

-Slightly less than 5million PS5s sold in Japan thus far
-Slightly less than 10million PS4s sold in Japan thus far

The game is a PS5 exclusive. There is literally 50% less hardware to sell this game on. What were some of you expecting? a 1 in 5 attach rate? Get a grip.
Not that launch attach rates are particularly useful, but FFXIII had a 35% attach rate at launch and FFXV had 19%.

So a one in five rate is not out of the question.
Still baffling to see so many people are okay with them splitting 1 game into 3 70$ games..
It's not just one game split into three. It's a complete reimagining of the story.

Last edited:
FF7 Rebirth sales are bad… really bad. I didn’t expect that at all.
Well, that's what they get for rewriting the game's story. People wanted a FF7 Remake with improved graphics, with maybe a few new things here and there, not some fanfic rewrite that thrusts some omnipresent Sephiroth in almost every situation.

Some thought it wouldn't hurt sales, but if it was a true remake that people wanted, sales would definitely have been better.

mckmas8808

Well, that's what they get for rewriting the game's story. People wanted a FF7 Remake with improved graphics, with maybe a few new things here and there, not some fanfic rewrite that thrusts some omnipresent Sephiroth in almost every situation.

Some thought it wouldn't hurt sales, but if it was a true remake that people wanted, sales would definitely have been better.

Do you think if FF7: Remake was one game (50 hours long for the story and 100 hours long for 100%), that it would have sold more than FF7:Remake, Rebirth, and the 3rd FF7 game that will be released in 4 years combined?

Do you think if FF7: Remake was one game (50 hours long for the story and 100 hours long for 100%), that it would have sold more than FF7:Remake, Rebirth, and the 3rd FF7 game that will be released in 4 years combined?
Not sure what that has to do with my post. You could still have made it across 3 parts and stayed faithful to the original. Just had a few interesting stops along the way and secrets to discover. Really the original game is so big, just making it a modern game increases the size and exploration potential.

Or you could just make one huge game and have it continue selling for decades. Like the OG FF7 does. Something this remake will not do.

Astral Dog

Not sure what that has to do with my post. You could still have made it across 3 parts and stayed faithful to the original. Just had a few interesting stops along the way and secrets to discover. Really the original game is so big, just making it a modern game increases the size and exploration potential.

Or you could just make one huge game and have it continue selling for decades. Like the OG FF7 does. Something this remake will not do.
They can sell the trilogy as a bundle when its done, and still achieve their goals i think its the right approach ,they wanted to turn FFVIIR into one of their most ambitious projects, +other than perhaps KH4)

Last edited:
Third party exclusives are a really dumb idea.

C'mon we know you're only saying that because a certain platform can't secure most of the biggest games as 3P exclusives this gen. If we were two gens back, they could, and you'd probably have a different opinion.

...probably 😉

The game wasnt even out yet when these charts were first started being compiled

You should probably leave it a week before jumping on the "OMG FF-FAIL" bandwagon, this chart basically only includes the pre order numbers

That's actually a good point; there's only four days of tracking for Rebirth and two of those days were over the weekend. Don't know when new releases usually come out in Japan, maybe it's Tuesday like here in the U.S?

Also I haven't seen a single person asking if physical prints for Japan were purposefully suppressed. Wasn't here a printing mix-up for the discs in Japan? Likely Square-Enix held back some physical stock so the discs with the mistake aren't in wide circulation, but it'd take them a few days (maybe a week or two) to get up a new supply of discs with the mistake corrected?

I don't think those questions have been considered whatsoever; even I didn't think of that until you mentioned this.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Right. But that doesn’t mean his hypothetical question has the same answer or that it was stupid.

You’re approaching his question with “but how would it even run?” and that’s not what he’s asking.

I literally spilt my drink when I saw he still isn't getting what hypothetically means.

Famitsu Sales: 2/26/24 – 3/3/24 has been updated with software sales rankings 11 to 30.

Software Sales (followed by lifetime sales):
  1. [PS5] Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (Square Enix, 02/29/24) – 262,656 (New)
  2. [NSW] Mario vs. Donkey Kong (Nintendo, 02/16/24) – 14,480 (103,523)
  3. [NSW] Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Nintendo, 10/20/23) – 11,643 (1,767,792)
  4. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu World: Chikyuu wa Kibou de Mawatteru! (Konami, 11/16/23) – 9,708 (998,957)
  5. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 9,251 (5,728,200)
  6. [NSW] Shin chan: Shiro of Coal Town (Neos, 02/22/24) – 7,352 (28,945)
  7. [NSW] Goblin Slayer Another Adventurer: Nightmare Feast (Bushiroad Games, 02/29/24) – 6,822 (New)
  8. [NSW] Splatoon 3 (Nintendo, 09/09/22) – 5,613 (4,239,708)
  9. [NSW] Matsurika no Kei -kEi- Tenmeiin Iden (Idea Factory, 02/29/24) – 5,537 (New)
  10. [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 5,468 (3,458,115)
  11. [NSW] Shiren the Wanderer: The Mystery Dungeon of Serpentcoil Island (Spike Chunsoft, 01/25/24) – 5,428 (132,883)
  12. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo, 03/20/20) – 5,012 (7,705,912)
  13. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, 12/07/18) – 4,554 (5,457,661)
  14. [PS5] Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 (SIE, 10/20/23) – 4,005 (295,171)
  15. [PS5] Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth (SEGA, 01/26/24) – 3,652 (136,452)
  16. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Pokemon Violet (The Pokemon Company, 11/18/22) – 3,550 (5,304,772)
  17. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo, 04/29/22) – 3,271 (1,282,212)
  18. [NSW] Pikmin 4 (Nintendo, 07/21/23) – 2,965 (1,183,208)
  19. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics (Nintendo, 06/05/20) – 2,961 (1,253,994)
  20. [PS5] Persona 3 Reload (ATLUS, 02/02/24) – 2,955 (98,018)
  21. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars (Nintendo, 10/29/21) – 2,830
  22. [PS5] Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade (New Price Version) (Square Enix, 12/07/23) – 2,719 (38,250)
  23. [PS4] Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth (SEGA, 01/26/24) – 2,714 (112,553)
  24. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo, 05/12/23) – 2,514 (1,961,336)
  25. [NSW] Super Mario Party (Nintendo, 10/05/18) – 2,295 (2,261,355)
  26. [PS4] Persona 3 Reload (ATLUS, 02/02/24) – 2,281 (54,724)
  27. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Pokemon Violet + The Hidden Treasure of Area Zero (The Pokemon Company, 11/03/23) – 2,194 (116,510)
  28. [NSW] Bar Stella Abyss (Nippon Ichi Software, 02/29/24) – 2,077 (New)
  29. [NSW] Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 Special Price (SEGA, 11/17/22) – 1,765 (139,856)
  30. [NSW] It Takes Two (Electronic Arts, 12/08/22) – 1,762 (27,726)

Woopah

Third party exclusives are a really dumb idea.
It depends on the situation. In this case, there isn't yet any Nintendo hardware that can run the game, and it wouldn't sell that many copies on Xbox Series.

I do think it would have been viable for SE to put the game on PC in return for a smaller cheque from Sony.
That hypothetical is STUPID though. It'll be like asking how many units would Wii Sports sell today on the PS5.
That's also a perfectly viable question to ask as a hypothetical.
C'mon we know you're only saying that because a certain platform can't secure most of the biggest games as 3P exclusives this gen. If we were two gens back, they could, and you'd probably have a different opinion.

...probably 😉

That's actually a good point; there's only four days of tracking for Rebirth and two of those days were over the weekend. Don't know when new releases usually come out in Japan, maybe it's Tuesday like here in the U.S?

Also I haven't seen a single person asking if physical prints for Japan were purposefully suppressed. Wasn't here a printing mix-up for the discs in Japan? Likely Square-Enix held back some physical stock so the discs with the mistake aren't in wide circulation, but it'd take them a few days (maybe a week or two) to get up a new supply of discs with the mistake corrected?

I don't think those questions have been considered whatsoever; even I didn't think of that until you mentioned this.
Having 4 days for a first week is completely normal. It was the same for FF XIII and FF XVI. FFVII Rebirth had 3 days.

Regarding stock, Rebirth sold 60%-80% of its initial shipment. So there's more than 60,000 copies on shelves, which means stock shouldn't be an issue.

IAmRei

Nah, it's because Japanese apartments on average are tiny. PS5 is too damn large!
I once went into japan, and surprisingly i can touch the ceiling without much effort. And me and my extra weight friend is cramped when walking inside corridor of the hotel. But there is one air purifier (i thought it was PS5 because the likeness of the size) yeah its kinda big. But i dont think that is the reason.

nowhat

But i dont think that is the reason.
I appreciate your thoughful response, but 95% of the time I'm kidding. And the rest I'm not that serious. I'm pretty sure if you're able to find space for a TV/monitor, you also can for a PS5.

mckmas8808

Perhaps they are saving it for the Switch 2, or whatever it ends up being called.

Now that would be interesting. I wish the FF7 Remake trilogy does get released for the Switch 2 some day. That would make alot of sense.

Right. But that doesn’t mean his hypothetical question has the same answer or that it was stupid.

You’re approaching his question with “but how would it even run?” and that’s not what he’s asking.

Yeah I understand what he's asking. It's just a weird question because we'd need to know what the game looked and played like before we could guess how much it could sell. The hypothetical has no good estimated guess. Now if he said Switch 2, that'll be different considering it's supposed to be as powerful as a PS4 Pro.

AREYOUOKAY?

I was expecting 50K+ for PS5. well

Nintendo right now.
Super League Money GIF by Anderson .Paak
4yVq6iu.jpg

fwjpqTE.png

Last edited:
Just what is it that you think I'm a fanboy of, exactly?

Multiplatformism, I guess.

Personally I have no issue with exclusivity, because exclusivity is in every industry one way or another. Plus it's only customers being asked to "give up" the idea of exclusivity; these companies will be exclusively retaining ownership of their own IP and technologies until the end of times (or bankruptcy, whichever comes first).

Top Bottom