• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite asset flip/reused assets/quick sequel?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Usually the idea of reusing assets from one title to another is considered by the larger gaming demographic as lazy, financially predatory, and overall lame.

But like a striped horse skulking head down among a herd of zebras, there are certain cases where the player reaches the end of such a title and says to themselves "That was really fucking good!"

What are your favorite examples of this? It can be an entire title that utilizes reused assets, a game that uses bog standard assets in an unusual or clever way, or specific examples (i.e. this Assassin's Creed asset was used in Watch Dogs, and I dig it!) (Note: I don't actually know about anything in Watch Dogs, but it's an example.)

My personal choices for this are Majora's Mask and Final Fantasy XIII-2. MM took the base framework of OOT (itself derived from a heavily revamped SM64) and turned around basically all of the character, item, and enemy models wholesale, reused music, items. A shorter game with a heavily truncated main campaign consisting of four (five if you're being generous) dungeons. On paper, it looks like the most shameless, lazy thing ever.

But the twist of "Hyrule, but off," paired with the better lighting, moodier atmosphere and themes, and just a general vibe of bizarre, dark, hopelessness, and being Link - the hero, all you know how to do is take your do-gooder values and try to apply them in situations involving death, pride, legacy, regret, etc. So cool.

And FFXIII-2 I don't have as much to say about, I just think it's cool that they managed to work in some Enemy and Boss models that got cut from the original XIII. That's a GREAT way of reusing assets, despite what you or I may think of FFXIII in general.

Ball's in your court now.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Vice City Stories and Liberty City Stories.

Im still waiting on San Andreas Stories. :(
Hnf844e.gif

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Mega Man 2 for the NES (and to an extent the rest of the series on the NES)

While they obviously added a bunch of stuff to make it better than the first game, they also obviously just started with all of the assets from the first game - sprites, animations, etc. - and just used that template to make 5 more awesome games.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
same thoughts for mm, here. OOT had a nice art direction but MM just took it to the extreme with how distinct and dark it looks, i love it

burnout legends and the gow psp games are great candidates for this too. Burnout Legends just feels like a greatest hits of burnout, & besides the 30fps, its a great burnout game. Mario Galaxy 2, as well. The addition of yoshi and his integration into 3d (pretty much the only time, too. i want another 3D mario with yoshi in it.) was so seamless and well done.

The Stig

Vice City Stories and Liberty City Stories.

Im still waiting on San Andreas Stories. :(
Good call! They were surprisingly good.

I'd go with Duke it out in DC and Lifes a beach. Im sure there is some rose-tinted glasses effect there but hey.

I guess the fallout games that use the Elder Scrolls engine turned out to be great, IMO.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Rhythm Heaven on DS basically reuses a crapton of assets from Rhythm Tengoku on GBA, but the games still feel very different thanks to the DS touch controls.
Mega Man 2 for the NES (and to an extent the rest of the series on the NES)

While they obviously added a bunch of stuff to make it better than the first game, they also obviously just started with all of the assets from the first game - sprites, animations, etc. - and just used that template to make 5 more awesome games.
Megamans 8 bit style is so ubiquitous and iconic that Capcom had to make 2 more 8 bit style games in MM9 and MM10, so its more like 7 more games really LOL.

that being said MM8, 7 and Bass were beautiful games in their own right, and on this topic, MM& Bass reused many MM8 assets made for Playstation & Saturn and somehow backported them to SNES in full fidelity, color & animation. Wildly impressive.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Also the Castlevania DS games, tons of reused sprites, mocked by the fans specially Portrait of Ruin, still great games đź‘Ť

Megaman series even if samey had consistent quality sequels (less so the X series than the others)

I forgot the infamous New Super Mario Bros games, hated by fanboys, asset and music reuse, still solid platformers

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Tears of the Kingdom, if six years counts as "fast". Lol.

(Seriously though, there's so much new stuff in this game, but yeah.)

I'd say reusing a portion of the map/General mechanics or systems would definitely count for this topic, whether you think well of it or not.

Cashon

Banned
Fallout: New Vegas
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Both reused basically all of the assets from the previous game, but improved in the gameplay design of the previous game as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom